Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Anybody been to Krakow? Recommend hotels/things to do please!
  • crispedwheel
    Free Member

I'm going for a long weekend to Krakow in October, and just wondered if anyone had been and could recommend places to stay, things to do etc? Oh, and also stag/hen party areas to avoid! I've got a few ideas already but was interested in others' experiences and advice.
    Thanks in advance

andybach
    Free Member

I'm going there tomorrow – for a few days – i'll let you know.

john_drummer
    Free Member

not a "nice" thing to do but I believe Auschwitz-Birkenau is not far away. "Lest we forget"

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Hairychested
    Free Member

http://www.cracow-life.com/
    If you need a taxi, try 19191. It should be around 45 zloty from the Airport (if you can call it that) to the centre of the town. Usually if you order the cab over the phone it's much cheaper than picking one from the rank, by some 15-20%.

Jeremy
    Free Member

went at the start of summer.

would recommend alchemia, its a bar/pub: http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=krakow+alchemia&fb=1&split=1&gl=uk&cid=0,0,17586538845961018172&ei=mnatStmmA9fPjAfPorDYBw&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=image&resnum=1
    stalls in the middle of the square that its on sell zapiakanki (arm sized pizzas), worth a try

the wizz air bus from the airport is prob the cheapest bet into town, theyll take you no matter what plane you came in on just pay the driver. they go from outside the main entrance of airport. i think about £7 for an hour journey.

castle is nice

theres an awesomely authentic polish restaurant near the main square, go down bracka away from the main sq (south) and turn left. its a bit of an unassuming place (near a post box or post office) with loads of polish ppl (no tourists) in it. fell in love with the waitress. food was well filling for cheap too. http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=krakow+alchemia&fb=1&split=1&gl=uk&cid=0,0,17586538845961018172&ei=mnatStmmA9fPjAfPorDYBw&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=image&resnum=1

I heard the salt caves are a bit umm interesting and probably not worth a visit unless you like salty discos.
    auschwitz is quite something
    anyway have a good trip!

crispedwheel
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies so far. Yes, Auschwitz-Birkenau is somewhere that I think we should go to.
    All advice on good and cheap food also very welcome!

barrykellett
    Free Member

National Aviation museum is good and cheap for a walk around if you can work out the transport to it. Its not too tricky to find.
    Its a bit all over the show but some class old planes to get up close to. We did it on the last day in Krakow in the morning just to kill time before heading on to Budapest.

Auschwitz was something I think everyone should experience.
    Saltmines were ok, some of it is pretty amazing.
    If I were going again i would spend a day or two in Krakow and then head to Zakopane, my mate from out there says its superb.

I enjoyed walking around the old Jewish Ghetto across the river. Schindlers factory has a display up, and is supposed to be fully opened as a proper museum soon i think.

we stayed in Flamingo Hostels, a room for 2. Was very cheap for the standard to be honest. Clean and private, shared modern bathroom, I'd use them again, after all, when you're there you'll be only coming back to lie down and sleep? Flamingo also have hostels in Zakopane.

crispedwheel
    Free Member

Thanks again – just giving this a bump for the evening crowd.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Anybody been to Krakow? Recommend hotels/things to do please!’ is closed to new replies.