Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Anybody been ill after this year's flu jab?
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

I had my annual jab on Monday afternoon. This was my third since being diagnosed with type II diabetes in 2009.

I was fine after the jab – even going on a night ride and having a post-ride beer. During the early hours however, I awoke with a BANGING headache and almost floating in sweat. Had to change the bedding, including the duvet twice. I’ve spent the last couple of days with flu-like symptoms; aching muscles, temperature, awful back ache, dizziness and general malaise. I still feel ropey.

I know the vaccine doesn’t contain live viruses so I don’t understand why I’ve had such a bad response to it.

captaincarbon
    Free Member

It probably isnt a response to the jab, just coincidence….

Worth checking your life insurance though.. 😉

pennine
    Free Member

I had no problems last year but due the next jab in 2 hours, so I’ll let you know.

MSP

That’s the way it works, the inoculation is a dead virus, your body sees it as the real thing and reacts as it normally would giving you the same symptoms as having the flue, although for a shorter period, therefore creating the antibodies needed to eradicate it.

That is why its not worth having IMO, unless you are at high risk (does type II put you at risk?), or work where you might spread it to those at risk.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I’m having it within the next two hours as well!

cp

as above – i thought it was perfectly normal to have flu-like symptons after having the jab.

yours does sound pretty extreme though – maybe just a coincidence. Don’t they recommend you take it easy after a flu jab – i.e. riding and a beer might not have been the best bet. your immune system is weakened by the jab, gets further weakened by the riding and you pick a bug up.

DezB
    Free Member

I thought the flu jab was for over 50s? I’m not far off, but…

cranberry
    Free Member

I got my jab 5 weeks ago, and have had flu for the last 10 days – I feel like I have been run over by a bus.

🙁

derek_starship
    Free Member

DezB – flu jab is for those who are more likely to suffer complications from catching flu. People with Asthma, COPD, diabetes etc..

DezB
    Free Member

Ah, I see.

captaincarbon
    Free Member

derek_starship – flu jab is also for NHS staff or anyone likely to pass flu on to those vunerable and at risk from catching flu…

zbonty

Due mine in a week or so (asthmatic).

Always makes me feel terrible the next day to the point i’m thinking why bother?

TheFlyingOx

My mum, dad and step-mum have all been violently ill a couple of days after having the flu jab.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I’ve spent the last couple of days with flu-like symptom

..after being injected with the flu? really?
    NHS so we get free jabs, but tbh, given the jab is nearly as bad the flu, what’s the point? Most of the people I work with don’t bother.

captaincarbon
    Free Member

The Flu jab cannot give you flu. It contains NO active virus. It MAY give SOME people a fever and muscle aches for a day or so. Your immune system will not have developed the antibodies to fight an active virus targeted by this years jab for 10 to 14 days after the injection……….

So you could get the flu and show symptoms, doesnt mean the jab is the cause. 😐

Tebbalot
    Free Member

Just had mine this morning, and fine so far. It’s probably just coincidence.

pennine
    Free Member

Also had mine a couple of hours ago. No issues last year.

Northwind

I always end up with a mild fever, bit of lightheadedness… Went trailbuilding last year straight after the jab and that was obviously stupid, ended up feeling very rough indeed.

I’ve decided not to bother this year. Should i die of flu, you have my authority to come to the funeral and take the mick, but since it doesn’t work on manflu (ie, the common cold) anyway I reckon I’ll be aright.

brokensoul
    Free Member

I had my annual flu jab about a month ago and have had no problems at all.

paul4stones

given the jab is nearly as bad the flu, what’s the point?

You’ve obviously not had flu. People die you know.

Drac

Flu jab symptoms are aches pains and some sweatiness. Flu will knock you for 6. Must get sorted with a jab.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

My fiance also gets mild flu-like symptoms after getting the jab.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I had a slighly sore arm for a couple of days

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I thought the flu jab was for over 50s?

not if you pay for it…

LadyGresley
    Free Member

Never had any problems after a flu jab. However, after moving and not actually registering with a doctor for the last 3 years, I had flu last winter – must do something about it this year 😳

Oxboy
    Free Member

Free for anyone at our surgery and no, no ill effects.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Evidence suggests between 1-10% will get some sort of minor adverse effect.

MrGreedy

NHS so we get free jabs, but tbh, given the jab is nearly as bad the flu, what’s the point?

So you don’t pass on a potentially fatal illness to the vulnerable people you work with?

Sadly misinformed viewpoints like the above are all too common – I think the usual take-up rate among staff is the wrong side of 50% in our trust.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

No problems at all for me or my family…

We give 2400 flu jabs to our 8000 patients each year. Some were going to get achy and ill whatever.

Association is not Causality.

hammy7272
    Free Member

Only had flu once and that was a week after the jab. Don’t bother now.

Radioman

Had the jab for many years and hardly noticed any side effects. I hope as many people as possible have the jab. There would be much less suffering.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

had mine last week, perfectly alright. not even the achy/sore arm i’m always warned i might get!
    been having the annual jab for the last 7 years now (since my little flirtation with hypertensive cardiomyopathy) and i’ve never felt any ill-effects from it.

emma82
    Free Member

I got mine last week, felt a tiny bit grotty in the evening but nothing compared to getting actual flu which could quite literally kill me :/

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Decided not to have it this year.

ash.addy
    Free Member

Had mine 2 weeks ago the day after not feeling too bad but then it hit me sore throat, felt completely shattered all the time lasted 2 tp 3 days. It really knocked me out. I’m not having one next year.

totalshell

thers some real bullocks on here.. stoatsbrother nails it fair and square.
    my doc was open house at the beginnimg of Oct anyone could turn up when they wanted and get one.
    if your daft enough to miss it free there available at supermarkets from a fiver mrs TTS has been on a course stabbed an orange and shes ready for customers/ victims ( doing about a dozen a day)

grum
    Free Member

I got one a few weeks ago as I work in schools/with kids a fair bit. I’ve not felt right at all since – TBF though I have ME/CFS, but it had been getting a lot better before then. Probably a coincidence but it has made me wonder. Don’t think I’ll be getting it again.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I won’t have one. I am not a risk and don’t look after people at risk. I don’t know anyone who has had real flu

flu like symptoms are a known side effect of the jab. Only mild and rare

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Zbonty why bother? Well I had Flu about 8 weeks back. A week or so later I developed a nasty case of Pneumonia which could take me months to get over. My immune system will have been shot from the flu making it much easier to get pneumonia. Pneumonia following flu does tend to be quite nasty. At 37 you don’t expect to get Pneumonia, and I’m 100 % convinced that if I hadn’t had the flu I wouldn’t have got Pneumonia.

Both illnesses are awful, I will be paying for a flu jab from now on a few sniffles etc of the jab is nothing to how shit you will feel with proper flu.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

So my fiance had the jab on saturday, and already had cold-like symptoms at the time. Didn’t change much on Sunday, but got much worse on Monday and now has pneumonia. Great!
    Told her she’s not having it next year, she always reacts badly in some way or other.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Anybody been ill after this year's flu jab?’ is closed to new replies.