Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Any Xperia fans in the house?
  • matt_outandabout

I’ve been swithering about a new phone for a while.

I want waterproof/resistant, not too big, good camera, doesn’t cost the earth.

I’m looking at XZ1 (I do like the compact, but possibly *too* small), I like idea of proper camera button making it easy to take pics without taking gloves off, ‘robust’ seems a good summary ant it gets Pie shortly.

I know lots of the reviews slag off the design.

Anyone use one for biking/walking/family pics and phone…?

DickBarton

Got the Compact version…battery lasts 2 full days (actually a bit more but I get a bit nervous if phone is below 10%).

Camera is good, can hear what people say, works well.

Only real annoyance is with the pc software – it no longer syncs contacts to any PIM.

Phone seems tough enough, I have a Roxfit slim cover and seems to do well.

Creaky

I’ve been using an XZ1 Compact for about 10 months and I’m very happy with it. I mostly just stick it in a pocket while riding and had no problems, although I haven’t really tested the waterproofing or robustness by immersing or whacking it. I agree that the battery life is good, probably helped by the relatively small screen. I didn’t bother looking at any reviews and I can’t think what there is to slag off about the design.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I have a XZ that’s a year or two old now.

Overall, very impressed. It’s in a slim bash case with an Olixar screen protector, but gets lobbed in to a jacket or jersey pocket for riding without any worries. Camera is good enough for point and shoot stuff (I have a waterproof Olympus for really rough conditions, and an EOS DSLR for proper photography).

Battery life is very, very good. Screen is good enough to watch TV on for short hauls, if I don’t have my tablet with me. Syncs very quickly and easily with Bose, Gnarmin, etc.

Overall, very impressed. Will be handing this one down to Mrs CFH in a few months, and struggling to see past another Xperia to replace it.

stumpy01

I had an Xperia T for 4 years and loved it.

There were a few Sony quirks, but nothing too annoying.

Battery got very flakey towards the end, but probably understandable after 4 years.

Gaz.dick
    Free Member

I’ve had the X3 and X5 compact.

I’m actually awaiting delivery of that Ulefone that Singletrack reviewed – IP68 is a big thing for me (why I liked the sony) – through hiking/biking mine is always getting dropped!

to be fair – I’ve loved my little sonys; but the newer ones aren’t much of an upgrade on the x5; and seeing their latest doesn’t come in compact size is a little concerning.

Not too much bloatware; not so regular updates though…

but I’ve quite liked mine!

alexpalacefan

Loved mine.
    Had 3.
    Screens kept breaking, well understood fault.
    Won’t have another.
    Shame, as otherwise it was a great ‘phone.

APF

alpin
    Free Member

Been using Z compact range for years…. 2,3 and now a 5.

Camera is good. Timeburst app is good.

Will prob re<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>place with another Sony. </span>

scotroutes

I had an old Z1 Compact and loved it. I’m currently looking to move on from a Samsung A3 and I’m finding there are few compact options now available so the ZX2 Compact is currently #1 on my (very) short list.

jimdubleyou

I have also had multiple z3 compacts. All of the previous one I had either cracked the front or back in my pocket.

The one I still have lasted a lot longer after I stuck it in a case that was about 25% of the thickness of the phone…

tbh, it was my first and last foray into Android. I still have it so if anybody wants to buy it, make me an offer 😉

timba
    Free Member

Hmmph. Thought this was going to be a kitchen ventilation thread 🙁

spooky_b329

I had a Z3 compact, great camera and the dedicated button was a draw for me too…however I found the phone overly delicate, small drops would damage buttons and it got water damage twice.  I broke the rear glass cover a couple of times and I’m generally don’t break phones.  I think it had two warranty repairs and then I started repairing it myself until it just wouldn’t stay in one piece!

Most phones such as the Samsung mid range phones can shortcut from sleep to the camera with a double click on the home button, and shoot using the volume buttons, so the only real feature I miss from the Sony is the half-press on the shutter to focus/set the camera to a dark or bright area etc so you can then move the camera to frame the subject, and the Sony camera software was pretty good.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

matt_outandabout

Cheers all, just clicked buy on an XZ1 as I couldn’t find a Xz1 Compact in stock or at reasonable (below £20/mth) cost.

nickjb
    Free Member

Loved mine.
    Had 3.
    Screens kept breaking, well understood fault.
    Won’t have another.
    Shame, as otherwise it was a great ‘phone.

Pretty much my experience. It was a great phone until the screen broke. Well known issue. Even featured on BBC watchdog. A friends also broke. I know this is only anecdotal but its enough for me. Never again

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I’ve had my z3 compact in one of these cases and it’s not been damaged through several drops :

on the screen I use an ultimate shield tempered glass which do get cracked if hit and need replacing.

on my second z3 compact as the first lost screen function around the buttons, this one has been OK but sony did something to make it charge faster, but it also discharges faster.

Del

had a z3 compact. fragile POS with bloatware. replaced with moto G5 at roughly half the sony’s cost and it worked easily as well, if not better, get regular updates, and it doesn’t break.

DirtyLyle
    Free Member

Had two Z5 compacts.  Both started overheating badly and became unusable.  Caved in and got an iPhone which has been much better.

andybrad

ive had the compacts and am on an xz atm with the wife on an xa1

im on my third this year at 100 quid a pop replacement. its good at what it does but it bends.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Any Xperia fans in the house?’ is closed to new replies.