• This topic has 112 replies, 39 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by iolo.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 113 total)
  • Any Welsh football fans in today?
  • johndoh
    Free Member

Can you tell us what it feels like to be in the semis of a major football tournament please.

🙁

jimdubleyou

Wales are shorter odds to qualify vs Portugal than they were against Belgium.

Which is a shame, as I made all my losses in the tourney back on that bet…

nasher
    Free Member

Excited, happy and nervous…

binners

And while we’re asking questions, whats it like to not to have to watch your national team through the gaps in your fingers while hurling thoroughly deserved expletives at the bunch of lazy, insipid, tactically clueless, overpaid donkey’s? 😉

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Why not pop along to this thread and ask them?

Currently, we’re all pretending to have Welsh grandmothers.

johndoh
    Free Member

No, this thread deserves it’s own space – it is a particular question posed at just the Welsh.

And well done by the way – as an Englishman and England fan, I shall be shouting you on all the way*

*Remember that the next time England play will you 😉

chojin
    Free Member

When I drew Wales in the work sweepstake I wasn’t a Wales fan.

Now I bleed the water of the Taff.

molgrips
    Free Member

I must say it’s really wonderful to be supported by English fans! It’s a lovely sentiment 🙂

hatter

Currently, we’re all pretending to have Welsh grandmothers.

My grandmother was called Dilys, no need for pretence here!

P-Jay
    Free Member

Full discloser, I usually cannot stand football. I’ve seen 2 games in my life – Wales v England the other week (well, maybe 60 mins of it) and one back in the 90s, I think Everton were playing someone as my flat mate followed them.

Anyway, I’m really loving the atmosphere at the moment, I don’t even watch the games (see above) I follow them on the BBC news app whilst watching Game of Thrones or something, but it’s been great to follow their progress on the news, the team spirit, the relaxed determination and lack of ego – the opposite of the things that made football such a turn off for me.

Can’t mention it on FB though without suffering the odd scream of “bandwagon jumper” or “where were you when we were losing to Albania in 2003 or whoever and whenever” I guess if your sport is one of the biggest in the world you don’t need to worry too much about turning away new fans, maybe it’s just my mates don’t like me much 😉

It been fantastic the way that the whole of the UK media (certain sections with sour grapes over English Welsh players aside) have been so positive about it, little snippets of Welsh here and there, etc. – I have to say it’s shamed us a bit too, I know a few of my football mates will cheer (quietly) for England and a bit louder for Scotland or NI – but never publicly, usually it’s more a case of “anyone playing England”.

Whatever happens this evening, they’re going to get a Hero’s welcome when they get back.

makkag
    Free Member

Im English but Im a wales fan today – God knows ive spent enough time and money there on my bike to claim citizenship right !!!

Pigface
    Free Member

100% Welsh but not a footy fan at all so feel like I am bandwagon jumping. For the boys that have followed it through thin and thinner (yes Joe Jordan I am looking at you) it is great, exciting, wonderful, bewildering and you dont want it to stop.

So I am just looking forward to it, nervous as hell but whatever Wales has done itself proud.

scaled
    Free Member

They’ve been doing me well so far this tournament!

I keep betting on them and they keep winning. Hoping for a goal fest this evening, wales to win and 4+ goals scored 😀

P-Jay
    Free Member

makkag – Member

Im English but Im a wales fan today – God knows ive spent enough time and money there on my bike to claim citizenship right !!!

Doesn’t matter if you’ve never set foot in Wales, if you want to be a Wales fan you can be – come one, come all.

(Not you Farage)

dragon
    Free Member

Excitement reminds me a lot of Italia 90 and Euro 96, but this time I can support the right team 😀

My only worry is I still have nightmares about Bodins penalty miss against Romania in 93, so we missed out on the USA World Cup. Hopefully this time we will get it right and the rub of the green.

iolo
    Free Member

One of the good things to come out of this is that finally, Wales is being accepted as a country when you talk to people in mainland Europe. I always had to explain that Wales was not England to everyone who asked where I was from.
    I will be in Vienna city hall public viewing getting very drunk should anyone care to join me.

MrSmith
    Free Member

im a fan of welsh football but not a welsh football fan.

Rockape63
    Free Member

I keep betting on them and they keep winning. Hoping for a goal fest this evening, wales to win and 4+ goals scored

Good luck with that Scaled! 😀 (hopefully all Wales goals!)

richwales

Been waiting to see us in a tournament for 30 odd years. I went to Bordeaux for the first game and to a man we just wanted us to score one goal in the group stage, something to celebrate (Welsh pessimism at its best). Out in Lille on Friday and there was just a feeling of incredulity after the final whistle. To come as far as we have, playing the way we have is the stuff of dreams. No idea what’ll happen tonight but I haven’t slept for two nights and can’t wait for a pint and kick-off. The whole country has taken to it and it’s nice to see rugby out of the limelight for a bit and the fans who have followed them through thick and thin getting their moment in the sun.
    C’mon Wales!!!!

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

I keep betting on them and they keep winning. Hoping for a goal fest this evening, wales to win and 4+ goals scored

You are the yin to my yang.

dragon
    Free Member

it’s nice to see rugby out of the limelight for a bit

I don’t get this sentiment, both can co-exist together.

The following comment on the BBC live TDF feed amused me

Welsh wizardry
    Posted at
    14:34
    We heard from Welshman Geraint Thomas earlier. He and Sky team-mate Luke Rowe will have events later this evening on their mind.

Wales play Portugal in a Euro 2016 semi-final at 20:00 BST.

The quicker you get finished boys, the quicker you can be on a bar stool dressed as a dragon.

P-Jay
    Free Member

And… Budwieshererisher, Bud have given us all a free 4 pack today (if you’re quick) and there’s even a little bit of MTB action on the “do your best boys” offical video:

Vid-yo

Northwind

iolo – Member

One of the good things to come out of this is that finally, Wales is being accepted as a country when you talk to people in mainland Europe. I always had to explain that Wales was not England to everyone who asked where I was from.

It’s a bit like when Scottish banks destroyed the world’s economy, suddenly everyone knew who we were.

DezB
    Free Member

I’m a bit Welsh 🙂

I think we should play ‘Things you won’t hear Christiano Ronaldo say after Wales beat Portugal’

Like: ‘We were beaten by the better team today’
    😀

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

I wont be supporting them, they are shite, and lets face it have played crap teams to get there (other than a freak result against Belgium)

it says it all that Englands only win was against them, that’s how crap they are

not a chance of beating Portugal, and even if they fluke that, not a chance of beating france or Germany

johndoh
    Free Member

Oscillate – so what you are saying is that they are shite apart from the times they aren’t shite?

🙄

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

no I’m saying they are shite, the fact they lost to England shows they are shite as England are the biggest pile of shite I have ever seen kick a ball

the time they beat Belgium was freakish, and all the other games have been shite too regardless of result

they are just shite, like Iceland were.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Oscillate Wildly – Member

no I’m saying they are shite, the fact they lost to England shows they are shite as England are the biggest pile of shite I have ever seen kick a ball

the time they beat Belgium was freakish, and all the other games have been shite too regardless of result

they are just shite, like Iceland were.

U Ok Hun?

johndoh
    Free Member

Why was it freakish?

P-Jay
    Free Member

Pigface
    Free Member

Give the troll a cwtch

ads678

I’m not Welsh, and won’t be supporting Wales.

I find it pathetic that the welsh are giving it all the ‘come one, come all’ bollocks, but can’t stop England bashing at every opportunity. The video of the wales players cheering England’s loss to Iceland was pathetic and if it was the other way round would have been in the news for weeks.

I remember being stood at a bar in Cardiff after Leicester Tigers beat Munster in the Heineken cup years ago and the manager telling bar staff not to serve people in green shirts, Leicester play in green for those who don’t know. Thick ****, loads of the Munster fans were wearing Ireland jersey as well!!

Although I do think Wales out played Belgium and have generally played pretty well so far.

P-Jay
    Free Member

ads678 – Member

I remember being stood at a bar in Cardiff after Leicester Tigers beat Munster in the Heineken cup years ago and the manager telling bar staff not to serve people in green shirts, Leicester play in green for those who don’t know. Thick ****, loads of the Munster fans were wearing Ireland jersey as well!!

Were you with your 96 year old Mum?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

jondoh –

do I need to explain?? seriously?

you don’t think beating Belgium 3-1 was freakish?

go through the starting 11 of both teams and tell me which ones OTHER than bale (and possibly ramsey when he bothers to turn up for arsenal) would get into any of the top teams in the world?

then go through belgiums and do the same, its not rocket science really is it?!

Oh FORGOT ROBSON KANU now world class and wanted by REAL MADRID even though released from a crap championship side

the fact English mongo’s are getting on the bandwagon of wales makes it even more embarrassing, infact just tragic.

ransos
    Free Member

They’re in the semi-final. England aren’t. Wales are better than England.

johndoh
    Free Member

Oscillate, you misunderstand the aim of a game of football. It isn’t to have the best players on the planet, just the best team of players.

And the way they prove they have the best team is by getting the ball in the netty thing more times than the other side.

Does that help?

And if Oscillate is with his 96 year old mum right now, she had him when she was about 84.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

johndoh – Member

Oscillate, you misunderstand the aim of a game of football. It isn’t to have the best players on the planet, just the best team of players.

And the way they prove they have the best team is by getting the ball in the netty thing more times than the other side.

Does that help?

LOL

clearly never kicked a ball eh? like most welsh people 😉

YEH that’s the point, just get a team that wins, real madrid and Barcelona win nothing buy having the worlds best players do they 🙄

BREAKING NEWS – REAL MADRID SIGN THE OTHER 10 SHITE PLAYERS FROM WALES STARTING 11 COZZZZ ITZZZ THE BEST TEAM INNIT

ransos
    Free Member

And if Oscillate is with his 96 year old mum right now, I reckon he’s about 84.

Perhaps his 96 year old mum can explain tournament football to him, because he doesn’t seem to understand how it works.

johndoh
    Free Member

clearly never kicked a ball eh? like most welsh people

I am not Welsh.

YEH that’s the point, just get a team that wins, real madrid and Barcelona win nothing buy having the worlds best players do they

Look up Greece, Euro 2004. It’ll be on Google.

ads678

Sorry must be being thick as I’ve no idea what you’re on about?!?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 113 total)

The topic ‘Any Welsh football fans in today?’ is closed to new replies.