Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Any tune hub experts out there?
  • Premier Icon damascus
    Free Member

Hi,

My road wheels have tune hubs, princess front, Prince rear.

I’ve been running them on my bike for a few years with 11 speed shimano road cassette.

I’ve just bought a new bike and when I’ve transfered the wheels over the bottom cog is too close to the frame. I’ve put my hope gravel wheels in and they are fine.

I suspect my problem is that I’ve got a 10 speed freehub. Is there any way to tell? My freehub has a code 34142 but nothing else.

And if I but an 11 speed freehub will it fit? I’ve just done a quick Google and they aren’t cheap! Well over £100

This might turn into a stealth sale add for a pair of tune hubs in blue! 😢

Thanks

Premier Icon damascus
    Free Member

The 11 speed cassette goes on fine and tightens up OK but the chain will rub on the frame.

Tune hub

Hope hub

Premier Icon andrewh
    Free Member

Think you need a cassette expert rather than a Tune expert…
    FWIW that looks the same as my 2009 Prince, although with a different axle.
    I have had 9sp Dura Ace, XTR and PG990 on it, along with 10 speed XT if that helps anyone work out compatibility
    I can’t see a code anywhere on mine, where are you looking?
    [Edit] The second set of pictures look more like an axle length/centering issue than a freewhwe issue, almost like you need to move the axle a fraction the right. What does the other side look like with both hubs?

Premier Icon damascus
    Free Member

The code is written on the freehub

Premier Icon andrewh
    Free Member

Definitely no code on mine

Premier Icon monkeyboyjc

It’ll either be an axel or endcap issue I’d say – could the axel have been knocked?

I’d take the endcaps off knock the axel out, service/replace the bearings and put it back together and see if you have the same issue.

Premier Icon damascus
    Free Member

Just had this response from an ebay seller

Hello. The 11-speed road have a little groove at freehub body and end cap. You can see it on the picture. 8-11-speed MTB have no groove. They are 1,8mm shorter than the road freehub body

Premier Icon damascus
    Free Member

OK, so I think my freehub is a road freehub which makes sense as the 11 speed cassette fits the hub fine. Just don’t understand why it’s too far over to the right and too close to the frame.

@monkeyboyjc
    ill take it apart and rebuild it. Could it be as simple as the axle isn’t in the right place and should be further over to the right? I’ve never taken a tune hub apart before. I’ll go watch some YouTube videos.

Any tips from those who have done it before welcomed

Thanks

Premier Icon joebristol

I don’t know anything about that hub, but with Hope I had a similar issue when I didn’t have the correct end cap for the frame. I thought I had a boost microspline end cap but actually had a non boost one.

Premier Icon damascus
    Free Member

The ends caps are 142×12 and have been on a bike that is 142×12. The new bike is 142×12 so there are the right end caps. It fits in the drop outs fine. Just the cassette is too far over.

Premier Icon monkeyboyjc

I’ve had something similar (ish) a 12sp rotor cassette wouldn’t fit on a standard 11sp tune freehub, similar results to you. I assumed it was a poorly machined (and bloomin expensive) cassette (lots of bad reviews online). A standard 10sp cassette fitted fine, but the rotor one wouldn’t slide far enough down the freehub for the cassette locking to engage sufficient threads of the freehub. I ended up buying a new endurance freehub and sending the cassette back.

I’ll now be fitting a 12sp Ingrid cassette onto the endurance tune  freehub later tonight- I’ve not seen anywhere that says there are specific MTB and road Shimano freehubs by tune, even the XD/XDR are cross compatible…. Really hope it works as their freehubs cost almost as much as an entire hope hub!

I’ll have a look at the standard (blue) freehub I took off for you to see if there are grooves etc.

Premier Icon wzzzz
    Free Member

Road 11speed freehubs are wider than 8/9/10 or mtb freehubs.

MTB cassettes have the top cog dished over so mtb 8/9/10/11/12 freehubs are the same as each other.

Road cassettes are not dished (cog not as big) so need the wider freehub.

Sounds like you just about got away with in in your old frame.

I’d expect you need an 11 speed freehub, or you could take a file to your 10speed so the cassette slides on further.

https://bikerumor.com/2012/05/01/11-speed-road-bike-hubs-versus-10-speed-tech-breakdown/

Premier Icon monkeyboyjc

Tune 11 sp freehubs are also 9 and 10 compatible, they don’t make a 10sp (at least not anymore) – you just need the spacer at the back of the freehub with the other cassettes.

Premier Icon monkeyboyjc

Just tried my Ingrid cassette 12sp and it fits fine on the freehub body. Not tried it on the frame yet or found the old freehub body.

Premier Icon monkeyboyjc

Ok having fitted mine this evening with no issues and looking again at @damascas ‘s original photos – check that the freehub is seated correctly back into the hub body. It looks like the o-ring seal Is visible, this should be inside the hub shell – I recon that when you pulled the old cassette off it also pulled the freehub out of the hubshell slightly – was it tricky getting the old cassette off?.

Everything is pressfit with tune hubs so it may just need a firm push back into the hubshell?

Premier Icon damascus
    Free Member

I think I’ve fixed it. It certainly looks a lot better and there’s sufficient clearance now. It’s my own fault for not going hope!

When you put the end caps on there are some spacers to take up tee slack. I didn’t have enough in there. Added another spacer and it looks good. Need to take it for a test ride now.

Thanks everyone for all your help and to this fantastic video. Skip to 23m30s

Premier Icon damascus
    Free Member

Unfortunately it still doesn’t work, I put some black tape against the frame and took it for a smooth test run but tee tape rubbed so if I went off road it would ruin the frame.

So I think I’ll strip the wheels and sell the hubs (stealth add) and replace with some hope hubs I have. At least then when I swop wheels I won’t have to mess with the calipers.

Thanks again for all your help.

Premier Icon rickmeister

How about a small washer on the bobble that’s on the outside of the end cap?

Premier Icon mboy
    Free Member

Had this issue with a Chris King R45 road hub recently…

Looks like you’ve got a 10spd freehub indeed, which will of course work fine with an 11spd MTB cassette but not an 11spd road cassette without pushing it out too far towards the frame.

New freehub body I suspect I’m afraid! I was lucky, managed to get hold of some other R45 wheels with an 11spd freehub for a really good price, swapped them over, then sold the other wheels on with the 10spd freehub on for only £20 less than I’d paid for them…

Premier Icon damascus
    Free Member

@mboy it’s definitely an 11 speed freehub, I’ve checked.

Premier Icon monkeyboyjc

I compared my hope and tune wheels earlier today, I’ve exactly the same situation, but I’m running a steel frame and don’t have the same problem as the op.

The cassette on the hope sits a little further back on the freehub than on the tune. I just assumed it was the difference between microspline and HG freehubs.

Premier Icon damascus
    Free Member

@monkeyboyjc yep, they just dont fit this new frame.

Been running the same cassette on another 142×12 bike for a few years.

I’ll build the wheel into a hope pro 4 in the Short term and keep an eye out for some new carbon disc wheels. It’s a good excuse to buy some new bling.

Thanks again

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.