Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • any tree surgeons out there?
  • maxray
    Free Member

So.. got a large sycamore at the bottom of the garden.. maybe20m maybe more…not sure 🙂

Would quite like to get it cut down, anyone got the slightest idea how much this might cost?

Access is limited.. I.e. side alley so I guess this could impact the cost?

Upside would be 2 or 3 years of fuel for the woodburner 😀

cloudnine
    Free Member

Double ladder, few ropes to pull branches and a large bow saw.
    Take your time and just cut the branches off, then drop it bit by bit.

mulacs

pictures would help!? Varies massively depending on where in the country you are… however tree surgeons that I use cost 800/day, and I(we) do the tidying up. Get a few quotes in, check all certificates and insurance before committing. Sycamore ok to burn, needs to be used within a few years though, split when green..

maxray
    Free Member

It’s much bigger than a double ladder 🙂 cheers mulacs will get a quote or 2 and see what the score is.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Where abouts are you? (long shot)

My father-in-law is a tree surgeon with 40 years of forestry commission experience but he tends to do things the old fashioned way (more muscle and graft rather than top notch equipment), hence is much much cheaper than most tree surgeons.

TooTall
    Free Member

If you are in the Tyneside area, Tynemouth Tree Surgeons will be your best value. Experienced and well priced.

thepurist

You’ll need the stump dealt with properly too – sycamore is a persistent beastie & if you leave the stump it’ll just start sprouting new shoots.

donald
    Free Member

I think you’ll be disappointed with how little firewood you will get from a single tree.

maxray
    Free Member

This be the tree in question. Had a verbal quote of 600 to bring it down and they will help me process the resulting logs. Surely there will be a reasonable amount of wood from it?

wwaswas

check with the council – trees over a certain height may have some restrictions on what can be done with them.

geoffj

£600 sounds reasonable – access doesn’t look great. 2 guys for 1 day.
    What are they doing with the brash? Chipping and taking away?

cynic-al
    Free Member

LOL @ the instagram

swamp_boy

Definitely check with the council for tree preservation orders, a big one like that might well be protected, could be a big fine for cutting it down without consent.

maxray
    Free Member

What do you mean cynic-al ? I posted this 30 years ago 😉

Access is just the shared alley tunnel between the terraces, they are going to chip all the no log stuff, chop the smaller branches for logs and cut the trunk into discs so I can store and split as needed.

They are going to swing branches into our garden I think.. quite excited and slightly sad as the old woman who used to live in the house planted it when she was a little girl apparently.

maxray
    Free Member

swamp_boy, would the tree company be aware of this and alert us to it, if we are getting them to do it or would we be responsible? I thought he might have said. He did mention that it was good it was a Sycamore as other trees have restrictions.

wwaswas

You’ll pay the fine. I’d check myself it was me.

geoffj

He did mention that it was good it was a Sycamore as other trees have restrictions.

Sycamore can have restrictions too

http://www.gardenlaw.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=108424

maxray
    Free Member

Hmm, cheers all, shall raise this with them.

😛

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘any tree surgeons out there?’ is closed to new replies.