Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • any trail centres easily reachable by train?
  • odannyboy
    Free Member

i live in east anglia so im far from most trail centres anyway but…

my car is going to be out of action while im off work and i wondered if any good trail centres are really close to a railway station perhaps?
    probably need to be a main line one with regular service…

sambob
    Free Member

Why not get the train to somewhere like the peaks? Im pretty sure i saw a train going to Norwich from Edale….

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Swinley is within a mile of Martins Herron rail station.

But you'll need a guide as

a)its a maze so maps are almost useless.
    b)there are no waymarked trails.

qwerty
    Free Member

Staveley has a train station 💡

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Laggan? Its not that far from a train station but its a long way from esat anglia? Golspie is close to a station as well I believe

sambob
    Free Member

Same case with Fort William….

whytetrash

Marins near Betws Y Coed…hills might be a bit scary for flatlanders though 😉 Penmachno would be a 15/20 minute ride away too!

tommid
    Free Member

Surely Epping forest must be near a train station, although there is no trail centre. Where in East Anglia are you?
    I'm between Cambridge and Norfolk and ride with a small group and we come from all over the region so there are opportunities for lifts etc.

joemarshall
    Free Member

Thetford is nearish one (Brandon I think), but the service is terrible.

Cannock Chase is near Rugely.

The Peak District is just as easy to get to and better though.

Joe

thepublican
    Free Member

You can get a train to Maesteg, a few miles down the road from Afan/Glycorrwyg. There is a big-ish road hill inbetween (15mins..??), but it didn't bother me with a backpack & tent…

odannyboy
    Free Member

tommid.
    im central cambridge.

thetford os ok but i dont think its worth the hassle by train.rather be three hours ride to somewhere good.

what about north downs area?anyone know?

BigDummy
    Free Member

Barmouth for CyB, not that it's mainline.
    Darlington for Hamsterley.
    Dorking/Leatherhead/Boxhill/Guildford for Surrey Hills.

LoCo
    Free Member

Cwmcarn, Crosskeys station 5 mins ride.

Raouligan
    Free Member

Dorking for Surrey Hills
    Bamford or Hope for Peaks
    Northallerton, ride to Leyburn and preserved railway to Leyburn for Dales
    Kirkby Stephen for Dales
    Whitby or Pickering for NYM
    Newcastle for Chopwell
    Machynlleth for trails.

Darlington for Hamsterley is mental, 15 miles up the Tees Valley for rubbish trails…

Peaks is best bet I reckon it's doable in day if you get the early train from London, there was a STW article years ago about it.

Daffy

Gisburn can be reached via Leeds and Long Preston with a 6km ride from the station.

br
    Free Member

Biggest problem you'll find is actually finding and booking the train, especially if you need/want to go through London.

alex222
    Free Member

stainburn isn't too far from leeds, closer to skipton probably though.

ton

dalby………train to york, train to pickering, 20 minutes spin to dalby.

molgrips
    Free Member

Swinley is ok for a non-local – you just need to watch out for the singletrack as it leaves the fire-road, and a GPS to get back to the exit 🙂

miketually
    Free Member

Darlington for Hamsterley is mental, 15 miles up the Tees Valley for rubbish trails…

25 miles if you take the scenic route 🙂

The trails are lots better now.

(But I'd not get the train there from East Anglia.)

odannyboy
    Free Member

Hmmm, maybe renting a cheap little car would be better really.especially with all the railways "flexible" rules about bikes.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Rent a car! You don't want a 3 or 4 hour train journey somewhere with a bike, then ride and then have the same journey home, probably stinking of sweat and covered in mud.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Rent a car! You don't want a 3 or 4 hour train journey somewhere with a bike, then ride and then have the same journey home, probably stinking of sweat and covered in mud.

Why not? Its generally as quick as a car and you get to drink beer and / or doze off

crazy-legs

Afan is about a 7 mile ride from Port Talbot station. That's assuming you actually manage to get out of Port Talbot without having your bike nicked from underneath you…

Second the suggestions above, just get a train to Sheffield then change for Edale/Hope (or even ride from Sheffield).

luked2
    Free Member

North Downs? Lots of train stations in that area.

South Downs? Train to London, then cycle across London and train to Eastbourne.

whippersnapper
    Free Member

You can get to Chicksands (not a trail centre as such but a fun day out) from Arlesey station with a short ride through Shefford.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Penrith (west coast mainline) with a ride to Keswick to get to the Altura trail – taxi if you are worried about fitness.

Marin Trail accessible from the Holyhead line via Llandudno Junction.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Why not?

Are you kidding me? There are very few examples of where a car will be slower than a train. The only exceptions being maybe any car travel along the length of the east or west coast main lines. Plus then theres the inevitable changes involved (direct trains from East Anglia to Betws-y-Coed etc? erm, no). Plus theres the costs. You can hire a van and fill it with people for less than a return train ticket of any distance…

barney
    Free Member

You can hire a van and fill it with people for less than a return train ticket of any distance…

Although it's loads (LOADS) cheaper if you can book a while in advance..

GaryLake
    Free Member

What about catching the train somewhere and riding home? Ok ours was a disaster at the time but we look back on the ride with joy now 🙂

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘any trail centres easily reachable by train?’ is closed to new replies.