Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Any tips / safety advice for demolishing a garden shed?
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

It’s a 7’x5′ apex design of not particularly tough construction.
    Standard frame and cladding.

I have a sledgehammer and a good size crowbar.

Is it just a case of empty shed – knock off roof – knock down walls from the inside?

Ta loves.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Burn it down!

dannybgoode

Any chance at all of an asbestos risk? If not get stuck in!

Cheers

Danny B

rocketman
    Free Member

Supply your 15-year old son and a few of his mates with hammers/chisels/mallets/pepsi and stand well back.

Our old 6×6 was reduced to matchwood in a matter of minutes

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Fuel/air mix

*And a remote detonator*

Disclaimer: just, no.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Supply your 15-year old son and a few of his mates with hammers/chisels/mallets/pepsi and stand well back.

This.

Nephews are good too.

Harry_the_Spider

I’m not taking the piss here Neil (honestly). If you are going to beat the thing to death wear some ear protection or take your time and pull it apart slowly.

I went at my old shed with shovel like Joe Pesci in Goodfellas thinking it would be quite funny. The noise was utterly mind buggering and I ended up being checked out by the GP after several days of impaired hearing.

joshvegas
    Free Member

1. Attack it with a sledge hammer

2. Realise that wasn’t very successful and it now resembles a sloppy shed but still very much one piece

3. decide dismantling it is probably a better option.

4. Realise in your frenzy you’ve bent all the screws and dismantling it is no longer an option.

5. Bandage the inevitable rusty nail to finger interfacing and regret ever starting it in the first place.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

It’s the roof keeping it together.

Start there and if you do it right you’ll get it to collapse in on its self.

treaclesponge
    Free Member

Before anything else, be sure to re-enact the Shaun of the Dead scene where they access the ‘locked’ shed. I bounced twice before managing to make it through.

brakes
    Free Member

just make sure you have an array of tools to demolish with including sledgehammer, chainsaw, angle grinder and napalm.

seriously though, my only advice would be ensure that the neighbour’s cat is securely nailed to the floor inside before you start work.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Good call on the ear defending front there HtS.

Ta.

gusamc
    Free Member

add the size of vehicle you have to take it away to equation and try to have as few bits as possible

Harry_the_Spider

Good call on the ear defending front there HtS.

Or, don’t be a dick and take your time. 😉

I had to explian to the GP that I had decided to smash a shed to bits with a heavy blunt instrument whilst being stood inside it. Saying out loud what I had done made me feel like a bit of a div.

binners

derek_starship
    Free Member

I had to explian to the GP that I had decided to smash a shed to bits with a heavy blunt instrument whilst being stood inside it.

And I bet you were talking really LOUDLY.

samuri
    Free Member

Note that even once demolished, you will still have some rather large bits of wood left. They’re difficult to manhandle and won’t go in the car.

Have you got a neighbour who is on holiday?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Why has no-one said “Drive through it with a car?”

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Carefully cut it up and turn it into some North Shore for the garden.

or just get a load of black powder!

Drac

I had to explian to the GP that I had decided to smash a shed to bits with a heavy blunt instrument whilst being stood inside it.

I think I see the problem here.

Harry_the_Spider

Not my finest hour. 😐

cr500dom
    Free Member

probably only held together with about 12-18 screws, most are !!

Advertise it on freecycle / gumtree “Buyer dismantles and collects”

wysiwyg
    Free Member

I say you take off and Nuke it from orbit, its the only way to be sure

project
    Free Member

Hire a large crane from Ainscough crane hire, and get an old scap car similar to a mates, then get crane driver to lift scrap car over top of house, just after your mate has parked up, but youve swopped them over, then take him upstairs and watch his face as the driver realeases the car demolishing the shed and his car look alike.

£250 quid from youve been framed, but the crane hire and scrap car may be a lot more.

nickjb
    Free Member

Stick on ebay/free-ads. Someone will take it down and take the bits away. You can lend a hand or just sit and watch.

derek_starship
    Free Member

I’m all for recycling and giving it away. But it’s knackered. That’s why I’m demolishing it.

Thanks for the tips, straight and curved!

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Those flat crow bars are really good for anything involving panels.

taka
    Free Member

knock down walls from the inside?

the outside would be safer

Northwind

We had a mighty shed demolishing party for ChrisL’s, sadly no beer involved but we did end up with people on the roof trying to get it to collapse.

Tool of choice was the big crowbar, bolster chisel also handy. Sledgehammer mostly just knocked it around, it wobbled out of the way like a weeble, but very useful for dealing with the panels afterwards- you could just walk up it and knock a series of holes in it, then fold along the dotted line, lovely.

singletrackmind

do not do what the bloke opposite me in hospital did . he was dismantling a re-inforced concrete fence with a 12″ petrol disc cutter. it snagged one of the re-inforcing rods and jumped into his bicep.
    lucky boy only did soft tissue and muscle , could have been so much worse.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Well. Hard hat, safety specs, ear plugs and heavy duty gloves. Shed 0 DS 1. Over in a jiffy. Can’t believe how excited I am about the new security shed arriving on Thursday. That’s being 44 I guess. Although I was teenage excited about seeing Kelly Brooks norks in the paper last week so I ain’t given up just yet. Tee hee.

RustySpanner

I can sell you a woodworm?

sweepy
    Free Member

Why has no-one said “Drive through it with a car?

Or if your car is posh, tie a rope round it, attach to towbar, and drive off.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Any tips / safety advice for demolishing a garden shed?’ is closed to new replies.