Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Any tips on re-seeding a lawn? weed content (NSFW)
  • Premier Icon mattyfez
    Free Member

So the lawn is looking a bit tired comming into spring, some weeds, some moss, some brown patches, the dandilions will be back in force soon, etc.

Other that throwing some grass seeds around and hoping for the best, is there a lazy mans choice to get a better grass lawn?

Premier Icon finephilly
    Free Member

Yea, easiest way is rotavate it 6 months ago, leave polythene on top over winter to kill everything then roll the soil firmly and re-seed in Spring. The loose earth is key, ideally sieve it finely aswell and remove all the dead moss etc.

Premier Icon devbrix

Some effort required @mattyfez 😉 but it’s a pretty simple annual routine
    1. Strengthen lawn and kill moss with iron sulphate now
    2. Scarify well in a couple of weeks – you have got to do this and it will look awful at first. Pull up any course, clumped, light coloured looking weed grass (if you can be arsed aerate as well, it’s generally held as one of the best thing to do with a lawn)
    3. Overseed with a good quality general purpose seed eg from A1 Lawns and walk or roll in to make sure seed is in contact with soil. Some will top dress but I don’t bother.
    4. Feed, water and cut once seed is established (cut to about 60mm, if you want shorter do gradually over a number of weeks).
    5. Feed regularly every couple of months over the Summer and water in
    6. Enjoy amazing lawn

Premier Icon mattyfez
    Free Member

Nice, thanks 🙂

Premier Icon singlespeedstu

bookmarking for later.

Premier Icon jim25
    Free Member

Good tips @devbrix I’m guessing you know your stuff… I have a question…

My lawn is in terrible condition, very mossy and patchy after finishing my extension work, it’s also very lumpy and bumpy.
    I intended to follow your tips up there to help clean up the lawn, but I’d also like to try and flatten it out.

I was thinking to just get a couple of tonnes of topsoil delevered and spread around ro fill in the holes and maybe give a 50mm coverage over the existing grass area, then reseed it probably in the hope I get a flatter green grass for the summer.

Is this likely to work?
    Or should I should dig it up and re turf it instead?

I live in Hertfordshire and have very clay based soil
    Thanks

Premier Icon stu170
    Free Member

Rotational grazing my chickens is working well in my garden, move the pen and house every few days and they are tearing the moss out of the lawn. Far less effort than scarifying. Let them little dinosaurs do it for me

Premier Icon jim25
    Free Member

Looking on screwfix website they sell a ground tiller for £50. I may buy that and give that a go, if I was to use the tiller and break up the existing lumpy and uneven turf, spread it about and then mixing some topsoil and re seed, that should work I’m thinking?

Premier Icon Kahurangi

That screwfix tiller is fine, but don’t expect it to magically sink down in to and turn over hard compacted ground.

Premier Icon jim25
    Free Member

Reading more into this, looks like I should remove the existing turf then use the tiller.
    It’s getting very involved now!

Premier Icon Phil_H

2. Scarify well in a couple of weeks – you have got to do this and it will look awful at first. Pull up any course, clumped, light coloured looking weed grass (if you can be arsed aerate as well, it’s generally held as one of the best thing to do with a lawn)
    3. Overseed with a good quality general purpose seed eg from A1 Lawns and walk or roll in to make sure seed is in contact with soil. Some will top dress but I don’t bother.
    4. Feed, water and cut once seed is established (cut to about 60mm, if you want shorter do gradually over a number of weeks).
    6. Enjoy amazing lawn

And if you have a female dog don’t let them pee on it.
    Overdose of nitrogen kills the grass.☹

Premier Icon footflaps

Prompted by this thread I scarified our lawn this morning and then over seeded it – been a really damp winter so the moss had really taken over during winter.

Premier Icon oikeith

Thank you for this:

6. Enjoy amazing lawn

Was looking at my lawn this weekend thinking what do I need to do!

On the scarify point, whats the preferred tool for this? I need to buy something, I can see manual tools, electric or petrol options!

Premier Icon Stevet1
    Free Member

Feed, water and cut once seed is established

What do you recommend for feed?

Premier Icon zippykona

Even my moss is dying.

Premier Icon footflaps

On the scarify point, whats the preferred tool for this? I need to buy something, I can see manual tools, electric or petrol options!

We have a cheap Qualcast electric Scarifier from Homebase, does the job fine. They are really viscous machines, you have to keep it moving and it if digs in, it will dig a hole in your lawn in about 2 seconds! Does make it look terrible after you’ve used it, but creates space for the grass to grow back into, I guess ours was about £60, they last for ever as you only use it once or twice a year.

Our has a nice foam handle which the local mice took a liking to and completely stripped off the metal one winter. Not sure if they ate it or use it for bedding….

Premier Icon oikeith

I guess ours was about £60, they last for ever as you only use it once or twice a year.

Screwfix shows a £60 electric option, I’ll pick it up and give it a whirl!

Premier Icon thisisnotaspoon

We have a cheap Qualcast electric Scarifier from Homebase, does the job fine. They are really viscous machines, you have to keep it moving and it if digs in, it will dig a hole in your lawn in about 2 seconds! Does make it look terrible after you’ve used it, but creates space for the grass to grow back into, I guess ours was about £60, they last for ever as you only use it once or twice a year.

+1, got ours off facebook marketplace.

Iron sulphate, you’ll need a spreader and a few bags of dry sand to dilute it with to do it evenly. Doing it by hand just results in stripes of burnt grass and moss. Diluting it in a watering can also work, just be very careful around any concrete or wood as it will stain it.

The first year I took almost a wheelie bin of thatch and moss out one autumn, and it looked like the Somme for months. Then repeated the process 18 months later once it had a chance to recover. And will be doing it again this spring, but only on the lower lawn which is far more clay than topsoil.

Hollow tines are supposed to work, but being clay once you’ve made the first hole in our garden you’re just left with an awkward to handle fork.

Premier Icon Ewan
    Free Member

Just got a new house, have a big lawn which has a lot of moss in it. The step by step plan above sounds appealing….

The main bit i want to do is about 1500sqm. Any ideas on equipment and amount of stuff I’ll need? Does the Iron Sulphate spray on – back pack sprayer at the weekend type job?

Premier Icon tabletop2
    Free Member

Let the weeds grow! Good for biodiversity

Premier Icon Ewan
    Free Member

I’ve got 3000sqm that will get that opporunity!

Got to get the lower half sorted as a lawn.

Premier Icon dc1988
    Free Member

I’ve grown to enjoy my mossy lawn, it barely ever needs mowing and looks green which is all a lawn really needs to do

Premier Icon Ewan
    Free Member

https://www.lawnsmith.co.uk/green-up-soluble-ferrous-sulphate?pv=20 <- this stuff at 400g/100sqm?

Yep, I just bought the chemical in bulk as it was cheaper then made my own by diluting it with dry sand so it was easier to spread.

You’ll need some sort of spreader though. I just found doing it by hand resulted in stripes of burnt grass and stripes of moss. I’ve got one that looks like the one below, it’s rubbish at distributing small amounts, hence I tend to fill a bucket with half a bag of sand, mix in the required amount of moss killer then spread the mixture onto the lawn.

And this is our scarifier, it’s £120, but we got it 2nd hand for about £30 I think as for most people it’s a one off job (or a couple of years to get it good then leave it). The bag on the back is useless if the lawn is overun, bin it, bungee the flap up and wear a face shield! I think I must have done 5 or 6 passes, raking the moss off manually into rubble sacks and wheelie bins before it stopped pulling more out.

It comes with a set of ‘blades’ too, the idea of those is they divide the grass plants so you get a much more even and thicker lawn afterward so the moss doesn’t get a chance to establish itself again.

Premier Icon IHN

Overdose of nitrogen kills the grass.☹

Or a male one, it’s just that females squat to pee so it all goes in one place, so the effect is concentrated. Males cock generally cock their leg against a hedge or something, so it’s scattered about and not as bad.

Unless, like ours, you regularly cock your leg against the tree that’s in the middle of the lawn…

Premier Icon FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Been in our house 2 years. Lawn slowly gone downhill.

Is that my mistake for using my lawn mower on a mulching setting?

It’s a right pain collecting all the clippings !

Premier Icon footflaps

Been in our house 2 years. Lawn slowly gone downhill.

Pretty normal, a traditional lawn is not a natural state so you have to work to maintain it – or just let it go wild.

Is that my mistake for using my lawn mower on a mulching setting?

It works if you keep it short and cut it regularly so the clippings are tiny as they’ll rot quickly and add nutrients back to the soil. If you’re cutting it every couple of weeks and the clippings build up as thatch then that will kill the lawn, and the longer it takes to break down the more nutrients the bacteria are taking out of the lawn to do that. Same reason you have to compost everything else, not just dump the waste straight back in the flower bed.

Premier Icon Ewan
    Free Member

Yep, I just bought the chemical in bulk as it was cheaper then made my own by diluting it with dry sand so it was easier to spread.

That site suggests you spray it rather than sprinkle (?) it using a spreader. The stuff is water soluble, I was going to get the amount to spray in a given area into the back pack spreader, mark out said area and then just go back and forth until i’ve emptied the amount for the given area (say 100sqm).

Premier Icon RoterStern
    Free Member

Overdose of nitrogen kills the grass.

Definitely this! After spending a lot of money completely renovating our garden including 30 tonnes of top soil and buying top quality roll turf we found to our dismay after a few months of an immaculate lawn a lot of dead patches started appearing where our two dogs like to pee! There are some good tips on youtube how to re-seed these areas which have been fairly successful though.

Premier Icon Rockape63
    Free Member

I bought the Screwfix scarifier last week and it does an amazing job. It’s got blades and also another attachment with hooks for raking.

Quite incredible how much it pulls up, the grass catcher is too small, so I tie open the rear flap and then rake it all up. I then managed to get a feed and weed down before this rain, so will see how that works out.

Premier Icon devbrix

Yep, just use a cheap electric scarifier with the back tied up as @Rockape63 does. I’ve a fair amount of lawn so use a leaf blower to blow the stuff which comes up in to a massive pile. I have also ‘verticut’ the grass every two months in the Summer using the scarifier at a higher setting which helps get rid of weed grasses by ripping them up. Use a sprayer for the iron sulphate but still overdose at times and get black bits (no-ones perfect lol). I don’t cut it too short or the weeds get going and if it’s dry my grass dies quickly as the soil is quite sandy.

Here the result from last weekend after 12 months of this routine, not bad for beginning of March. The lawn was sh1t before, covered in weeds, moss, weed grass and I had a massive leatherjacket problem (Daddy Longlegs grubs) which completely killed off about 30m2 of lawn last Spring which is now sorted. There was a great big bald patch in the middle of this picture last Spring. That’s when I started to research what to do to get a better lawn.

DEAFBCCE-E069-4-BEB-AE2-D-81-E7682-D78-F4

Premier Icon granny_ring

Another thread to follow…

Premier Icon breadcrumb

How much iron sulphate would I be needing for 450m² of mossy lawn?

Premier Icon devbrix

@breadcrumb its 2-3g/m2 so a 2.5kg tub would cover it.

Premier Icon Ewan
    Free Member

Any problems with doing the iron suplhate when it’s going to / has been raining? (plan for the weekend…) – clay soil if it matters.

Premier Icon dannyh

No mention of frozen sausages yet…

Very disappointing.

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash

Ran the old Black & Decker lawn rake over the back lawn, and removed half a builder’s sack of moss and thatch. Now looking a bit better, but we don’t put chemicals on that one as the Guinea pig may not approve.

Front lawn is 4-5 times the size and in a much worse state. Got some 4 in 1 feed and weed down last week ahead of the rain and the moss is already blackening off. Will rake that out in a couple of weeks time and then look to reseed it.

Is a spreader the best way to reseed? Mix it with compost or sand to help it spread maybe?

Have also taken delivery of a hollow time aerator fork. That’s going to take some effort and timing between the clay soil being “soggy bog” and “effectively kiln fired terracotta”

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.