Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)
  • Any takers for a Parent and Kids ride in the Peak?
  • Trekster

You could fit a tow rope to your bikes to assist the wee ones if they get tired.
    Length of plastic conduit fixed to bike top tube, length of rope up the inside with a bungy cord to attach to kids bike. Works a treat 😆

richpips
    Free Member

Bump.

takisawa2

Sounds good Richpips.
    We once did a big loop leaving the Tissington Trail at Tissington, & heading on lanes to Brassington to pick up the High Peak Trail. There were some steep road climbs, especially the one out of Brassington. My lads would probably prefer the Tissington option.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Sounds like a fun ride out, we’ll be there. 😀

richpips
    Free Member

……There were some steep road climbs……

I’m hoping whatever we decide, it will be traffic free. Though if we use the High Peak Trail south there is a main road crossing.

Junkyard
    Free Member

20 Miles – half the forum cannot manage that and you want to take kids on it you monster

Mine have done 12 miles a couple of times not sure re that distance tbh – I will start the training plan with intervals later tonight 😉

richpips
    Free Member

20 Miles – half the forum cannot manage that and you want to take kids on it you monster

Mine have done 12 miles a couple of times not sure re that distance tbh

The good thing about the out and back is that anyone can always turn back early. Plus there are lots of nearby roads, that we can go and get a car should the need arise.

Mine when they were 5 and 8 did P Hey to Ashbourne and back over a long but steady day one summer. 😆

I reckon that the kids out with other kids won’t notice the distance. Maybe.

dawson

Tissington Trail sounds ideal. It would be the furthest my two had ever ridden!

I reckon that the kids out with other kids won’t notice the distance. Maybe.

Hopefully!

takisawa2

Wonder if the weather will be as kind as the last time we rode the Tissington Trail… 😉

(That gradient is on a steep bit by the way). 🙂

IMAG0641 by pten2106, on Flickr

izakimak
    Free Member

i’ll be up for this not sure about my daughter but she’s coming anyway 🙂

richpips
    Free Member

^^^^^

For the Monday morning crowd. 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

Kids informed and think 20 miles will be easy – they never asked how far they had ridden before and its time to teach them the just round the next corner answer for how far to go …next year it will be just over the last hill

hope we get some nice weather

Izakimak YGM – no you dont your e-mail is bouncing can you mail me

richpips
    Free Member

hope we get some nice weather

The Tissington trail in not so nice weather.

Puddles by RichSeipp, on Flickr

Junkyard
    Free Member

they will ride in bad weather – they know this allows them to say they are proper MTB ers and not just pretenders.

i think they like the mud as well

dawson

Bumpity-bump now that we are into March.

As its a bit further than my kids are used to riding I am going to get them to do it as a sponsored bike ride for Comic Relief!

richpips
    Free Member

Bumpy type reminder.

17th March 10am Parsley Hey Car Park.

All welcome.

mintimperial

I might well be up for this. Is the route ok for a trailerbike tagalong thingy? My lad’s only four and only just got the hang of pedalling, so a 20-miler is likely to be a bit of a stretch under his own steam…

richpips
    Free Member

Yep, tag along or trailers no problem. It’s a smooth and wide trail with no tech stuff.

mintimperial

Sounds grand. 🙂

dawson

Is that 10am meet, or 10am ready to ride?

Will be keeping an eye on the weather forecast..

takisawa2

Unless its stupid cold / torrentialy wet, I shall be there, with the cargo bike & my two lads, age 5 & 7. Look out for a big daft Kona Ute & excited offspring.

adjustablewench
    Free Member

Sounds good, will run it past my two boys (8&9) – be good for them to know they arent alone in being taken on long rides.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Unfortunately I am out Sorry all was really looking fwd to a dad and lad group

adjustablewench
    Free Member

Is there a problem with mums and or girls going? I didnt realise it was just aimed at dads and lads?

Unfortunately my boys dad has no interest in bikes so they only get to ride with me

dawson

@adjustablewench – the title is Parents and kids

I’ll be there (unless the weather is looking shockingly bad) with my 2 girls 10 & 9.
    Look out for a green Kona and 2 slightly reluctant, but-coming-round-to- the-idea-of-a-long-bike-ride offspring

Junkyard
    Free Member

apologies and fair point it just rhymed and I did not mean it to sound as it did or that it was excluding females

Sits on naughty step and considers what he has done

Again
    Sorry

takisawa2

richpips…

So, are we all riding just the Tissington out – Tissington back route…?
    (ie: Anyone looping via the High Peak ?)

Just wondering if I might (at this ridiculously late stage) suggest riding out from, & back to Tissington, as the finish would be pretty much a gentle 10 miles downhill.
    (5 & 7yr old tired legs…) 😕

(Also, from what I remember Tissington is just an ice-cream / tea & coffee hatch).

Feel free to tell me to guff awf. 🙂

andyfla
    Free Member

Sorry I have been silently following the post along and cant make this weekend as it is the mother in laws 80th and apparently my presence is required,
    Any one fancy another go later in the spring/summer ?

edlong
    Free Member

@andyfla

Yep, I’m in a similar boat in that me and mine were well up for this in principle but the date doesn’t work with other commitments now. I’d be up for another one, another time.

Duane…
    Free Member

Parent and kids ride? I’m keen, but not sure my dad will be, he’s got dodgy joints and doesn’t have a bike..

adjustablewench
    Free Member

@junkyard no worries I was just checking 🙂

My boys are up for it – as long as its not as muddy as the 20 miles they did a couple of weeks ago . . .

Cant see what they were complaining about myself 😀

richpips
    Free Member

richpips…

So, are we all riding just the Tissington out – Tissington back route…?
    (ie: Anyone looping via the High Peak ?)

Just wondering if I might (at this ridiculously late stage) suggest riding out from, & back to Tissington, as the finish would be pretty much a gentle 10 miles downhill.
    (5 & 7yr old tired legs…)

(Also, from what I remember Tissington is just an ice-cream / tea & coffee hatch).

Feel free to tell me to guff awf.

Let’s see who turns up on the day I reckon.

If there are just a few of us we’ll default to the rider of least ability.

I’m hoping there’ll be enough folk for an easy and not quite so easy group.

Oh and Mothers are welcome hence the post title. 🙂

dawson

I’d just planned to do the out-and-back with my 2.

Are we sticking to meeting at Parsley Hay?

richpips
    Free Member

Yep, Parsley Hey at 10am.

richpips
    Free Member

Latest weather forecast via the bbc is for Rain and a Temperature of 3 degrees.

I am tempted to postpone for another day.

What do you all reckon?

dawson

agreed – postpone it for a month or so – not really fair on the kids!

richpips
    Free Member

OK ride for Sunday is cancelled.

I’ve mailed those of you who have an email in your profile.

takisawa2

Good call Rich.
    Be looking forward to the next chance we get.
    Cheers.

adjustablewench
    Free Member

Good call, the idea is to get them into riding after all and not to put them off 🙂

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Good shout Rich, the younger ones need to have fun not endure hypothermia!
    May see you in the Woodbine before next month.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘Any takers for a Parent and Kids ride in the Peak?’ is closed to new replies.