Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Any Suggestions : Peak District?
  • sometimes52
    Free Member

Hello All,

Hoping to take a trip to the Peaks soon and don't have ay idea where to go/stay – camping.

Only been the Thetford, so looking for something a bit more demanding.
    I'm new to biking, so want something that is fun, but not to demanding.
    Whilst the other half has been to Dalby a few times, so i'm guessing he would like something with a bit more to it. Nothing too technical as his fork is a bit buggared. Something fairly fast but not overly downhill or with any major drops.

Sorry if my technical terms are a bit lame or i've written this on the wrong forum.

Cheers in advance,

Steph

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

there's a hell of a lot more rocks then Thetford!

I'd base yourself around the Derwent valley, do a lap of the top 2 reservoirs then the bridleway up form the viaduct to crook hill, on to Lockerbrook and then down to Ouzelden Clough

there aren't any easy hills in the Peaks!

Pook

Lots in the peak –

For starters there are two very different sides to it – the White Peak and the Dark Peak.

I ride mainly in the dark peak, so Castleton, Edale, Hadfield, Totley moor kind of way. It can be technical or straightforward – around Ladybower is a good place to start if you're thinking of that kind of stuff, and also, you get the wonderful Cut Gate Path too.

Kramer
    Free Member

Nothing too technical as his fork is a bit buggared. Something fairly fast but not overly downhill or with any major drops.

You probably want to be around the White Peak then, Chatsworth, Bakewell, Darley Bridge area. Lovely riding, but fairly straightforward.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member
    Kramer
    Free Member

I'd suggest that what a Dark Peak regular would describe as not too technical may well be considered very technical indeed by a relative beginner.

sometimes52
    Free Member

Thanks for all the input so far.

Just don't want anything too flat, I know i'm not going to get that with the peaks. I'm just trying to get used to/comfortable with my bike, got a little stumpy which I love to bits. Just don't want to come accross something that will completely scare the shit out of me.

Did that black route at Thetford which I was more comfortable with. I know it's a piece of piss, but i thought i'd give you a benchmark so far.

Thanks for the camping link, doubt they'll be many spots to stop this bank holiday weekend!

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

If you choose the White Peak there is great camping here. Plus there is a great pub in the village too (Red Lion, the Druids Inn has gone a bit downhill, imo). We live relatively close (Derby) but still go and camp there a couple of times a year as it's so nice.

sometimes52
    Free Member

It's all booked up, 🙁

Just want the other half to have a nice time, i'm open to try new stuff as long as I don't end up snapping my back in half!

vdubber67
    Free Member

If you want somewhere this bank hols – try

Rowter Farm

Now. I've never stayed there, but my colleague got in yesterday for thsi weekend. It's also right by some amazing trails.

Having said that, as people said above, if you do go the Dark Peak, be a bit prepared for going "oh blimey it's a bit rocky isn't it?!"

🙂

vinnyeh

Get yourself a copy of the Vertebrate Dark Peak guide- it's what I used to get used to the area when we moved near there. Off the top of my head, the Blacka Moor route is a good starting point, and shouldn't take more than a couple of hours- install your other half at the Fox Inn pub, she can walk up the Houndkirk Rd to meet you.

A few other shortish routes in there (something around Langsett that introduces you to North America and Cut Gate?) I think that should give you enough to pick form for the BH weekend.

The book's available in most bookshops in the area.

sometimes52
    Free Member

Hopefully the bf should be quite pleased with what everyone has come up with so far.

Now wishing I had taken advantage of the mountain when I lived in Whistler for a bit, didn't have a bike then.

Then I wouldn't feel like such a girl! Which I am, just in case there was any confusion.

parisroubaix

I would avoid Doctor's Gate, down towards Glossop. Featured in a lot of route guides but in reality not rideable in lots of areas for mortals.

dan1980
    Free Member

As a bit of a novice, and generally not very good, (and being biased because I live here) stuff around New Mills is good and not to hard. Chinly Churn, around the shooters lodge above Hayfield, or Lantern Pike or out towards Rowath or Marple is pretty fun.

nbt

I would second the recommendation to try the White Peak if you are not used to big rocks. The Vertebrate Graphics White Peak book has some excellent routes in it

sometimes52
    Free Member

Does anyone happen to know if any of these routes are online.
    I've had a look but I can't seem to find much.

Most of the site seem to have broken links or 404's.

No_discerning_taste
    Free Member

You should come and stay with us! Fully booked this weekend though. Good thing about a break here is that we have lots of routes aimed at all levels, ready and printed for you to take along with you when you go out, and also secure bike storage etc and if you fancy a quick skills session to get your confidence up that is not problem either!
    http://www.lilybankfarmcottage.co.uk

Crell
    Free Member

If you choose the White Peak there is great camping here. Plus there is a great pub in the village too (Red Lion, the Druids Inn has gone a bit downhill, imo). We live relatively close (Derby) but still go and camp there a couple of times a year as it's so nice.

Hehe, I live about 12 miles away and echo all the above, including the relative merits of the Druid and the Lion.

tried these?

http://www.mtbsharp.co.uk/routes/peaks/white_peak/index.html

Kramer
    Free Member

There's some lovely riding right on your doorstep as well. 😀

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

tried these?

http://www.mtbsharp.co.uk/routes/peaks/white_peak/index.html

Excellent! If I can find a day next week when I won't be missed at work I think I'll have a look at one of those routes 🙂

There's some lovely riding right on your doorstep as well.

Are you talking about the vicinity of Barn Farm camping mentioned above? Naughty but nice 🙂

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I – until very recently – lived in Buxton so rode regularly all over the Peaks. I would definitely agree with the comments about the White Peak being a more suitable starting point for relative beginners – although avoid the Hollinsclough area. Over in the Dark Peak – particularly around the Hope Valley – there are some tough climbs and very rocky trails. Great fun, but if you've not done much before you could find them tough. (Un)fortunately, being the Peak District I'm afraid you're going to end up doing some climbing

sometimes52
    Free Member

What would you define as a beginners trail on the peaks? What sort of stuff would it entail?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Any Suggestions : Peak District?’ is closed to new replies.