Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Any suggestions for a full face helmet?
  • tyredbiker
    Free Member

Hello!

Currently looking at full face helmets for my trip to morzine in June because I’ve decided that I like my face as it is. I was hoping to able to try some on at a local shop, but can’t find any nearby that keep them in stock (and I would have pay for them to get ordered into the shop, so it’s just as easy to get them off the interwebz!)

Looking at something no more than £100, with good ventilation. Any advice (recommendations on what to buy/avoid) would be appreciated!

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

They are very personal, we have 661 the cheap ones the “comp” or “full comp” or something purchased from Chain REaction. Trimix off here ordered abotu 5 from Chainreaction and sat at home wearing them for 10 mins or so as you need them to be tight across the forehead but not so tight they give you a head ache, so they are very personal. I would recommend just going to a shop and trying aload on, find it on the internet cheapest and see if they’ll match it.

supersaiyan
    Free Member

as M-C says try a load on and go with what fits. THE, Giro and Azonic all seem to work me, Fox Rampage seem popular. And they will all be hot unless you go for one of those weird skeletal jobbies and i wouldn’t want to hit a tree wearing one of those…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

+1 for trying them on, they’re even more personal than XC helmets.
    I ended up with a 661 Strike for £35 despite going into the shop intending to spend quite a bit more, none of the more expensive helmets fit despite being 661. It did it’s job when I crashed so I bought another off CRC.

tyredbiker
    Free Member

Unfortunately no-one close by has any in store, and I also don’t have the money to buy loads and send the ones I don’t want back…so preferably if I can narrow it down? Been looking at the giro remedy, fox rampage and Uvex downhill helmets at the moment.

chvck
    Free Member

Also, look at 2011 or 2010 models, they tend to be a lot cheaper!

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Chainreaction do free returns so buy a couple and try them on and home, send back what you don’t want. That was what trimix did.

rp16v
    Free Member

if your anywhare near bristol i have a 661 comp u can have for £25 as i have up bmx racing and its just got some storage marks on the rubber base surround used about 5 times

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

preferably if I can narrow it down? Been looking at the giro remedy, fox rampage and Uvex downhill helmets at the moment.

That’s the problem, everyone head is different shape, every helmet is a different shape (even within the same brand), so if I recommend a 661 strike as it’s what fit me best, that recommendation is 100% useless to you as you’ve no idea what shape my head is!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

That’s the problem, everyone head is different shape, every helmet is a different shape (even within the same brand), so if I recommend a 661 strike as it’s what fit me best, that recommendation is 100% useless to you as you’ve no idea what shape my head is!

^^This. Lots of this^^

Northwind

Yup. But momentarily ignoring fit… 661 have quite a full range from budget to carbon fibre hotness. My Strike 2’s a perfectly decent helmet despite costing me about a tenth what I could have spent on a TLD or similiar.

Very impressed with my Urge though… Light, very comfy, well vented too. Feels and looks quality. And on that note, for fit- CRC now do a postage-free returns service if you can get to a supporting drop point (my local co-op does it) so you can try after you buy.

jedi

Kali avatar for me. Lighter than a carbon troy lee and I can’t feel it on my head. 🙂

kate85
    Free Member

They’re usually around £200 aren’t they?

gingerss
    Free Member

Also, look at 2011 or 2010 models

Bear in mind that helmets have an expiration date and are designed to last 3-5 years depending on the manufacturer. Apparently the material they’re made from loses it’s integrity over time.

Might just be marketing BS but if it’s protecting your head because you’re pushing boundaries it might not be one to compromise on.

tyredbiker
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice everybody! Have ordered an Urge, partly because it sounds good for tiny heads like mine,partly because it weighs less than some of the others in my price range but mostly because it looks swish! Hopefully it will be a nice fit, if not I’ll have to order another one.

PS Thanks for the offer rp16v, but helmets are the only thing that I choose to buy new so I can be certain of its history!

rp16v
    Free Member

no problem buddy i understand im the same i am the only owner of this lid so no its history just shame for it to go waste as wont get used by me again lol

james
    Free Member

“Bear in mind that helmets have an expiration date and are designed to last 3-5 years depending on the manufacturer. Apparently the material they’re made from loses it’s integrity over time”
    I could well be wrong, but I thought it was a UV exposure thing (amongst other factors like time and crashes) that did them in, so wearing it a lot/leaving it outside or it having been left in a shop window for (or car/van) for however long won’t help

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Any suggestions for a full face helmet?’ is closed to new replies.