Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Any STWers own/ed a Honda Civic Type R FK8?
  • bennyboy1
    Free Member

Has anyone on here owned one? Feedback? The multiple 5 star reviews and Evo Car of the Year finals all sound bloody good but I’d still be keen to hear any STW owner experience.

Also as a side, has anyone owned a CTR FK2 and then moved to an FK8?

DickBarton

Can’t comment on the cars but both postcodes have good and bad bits – like everywhere else does.

tall_martin

I worked in honda dealerships. The guys in Huddersfield put my off any type r with customers tales of someone removing a window from a house to steal the keys for a type r, the home owner sticking their head out the window and having a gun pointed at them.

None of the honda folk ( other than Boston) liked taking people on test drives in type R’s. They had tales of absolute maniacs going mental behind the wheel.

I was very tempted after a test drive in an fk8. It was amazing! They depreciated incredibly slowly, to the point that the 335d I bought cost more to run as it has needed brakes, tyres and a repair in the time I’ve had it.

Do you have a garage, are you prepared to put right any damage someone absolutely thrashing it has caused?

If so I’d go for it 😃

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    iamtheresurrection

I owned one for a while, hands down the best ‘normal’ car I’ve ever driven. Back in a Golf R estate now, which in comparison, feels like a Golf with a reasonable amount of power as opposed to something a bit special.

The good:
    Chassis is amazing
    Engine has lots of character
    Zero torque-steer
    Gearbox is a joy
    Brakes have loads of feel
    The adaptive suspension means you can have it set however you want, although R is nowhere near as hard as people suggest
    Front seats are really, really good
    Fuel economy was okay (24 around the doors, 35-40 on the motorway)
    The boot is pretty massive for what it is
    The looks

The bad:
    The radio/entertainment system is from 1980 – so frustrating to use
    Some of the interior finishing is not great
    Daft things annoyed me – no lights in the rear door cards, no cupholders in the back and only a two seat rear bench
    No fixings for a roof rack
    The looks

My wife was embarrassed to be seen in it – I’d have another in a heartbeat. I’ve had every Type R, and have a deposit down on an FL5 (reservations not actually open yet so means very little) – although the red carpet on the new one means it’s another one that won’t be a biking car…

bennyboy1
    Free Member

IATR – really interesting to hear your ownership experience. Out of interest how did the FK2 stack up against your FK8? I’m keeping one eye on FK2 also as they seem to be £5k-£6k cheaper but it seems a matter of being a good car vs the FK8 being a historically great car.

austen

We had an FN2 which I passed onto my brother and is still going strong.

Great car but relatively stiff suspension made it not great at rural roads.  You had to trust the front, but when you did it was speedy.  It’s an incredibly practical car (boot, interior space etc) for the performance.  I really liked it but in the end the ride got a little tiresome, but my brother has put thousands of miles in it driving all over the country and loves it.

Have another fast Honda and the engines are amazing…

iamtheresurrection

Sorry benny, it was a bit of a typo, I meant to write every one apart from the the FN2 but it was early and I was getting the kids ready for school…

I have done a couple of track days in an FK2 though, and had one on loan for a long weekend. The FK8 is noticeably better damped on a bad surface than the FK2, which in comparison is a bit trashy on a bad surface where the FK8 is pretty comfortable in standard, and like a magic carpet in comfort… On a track there was a fair bit of torque-steer and understeer on the FK2 that somehow just isn’t there on an FK8. I’ve not lived with an FK2, but imagine the FK8 is a much nicer place to be for just plodding around with the family.

I prefer the look of the FK2, but neither are going to win any beauty contests so a moot point…

the-muffin-man

FN2 isn’t the same animal as an FK2! 🙂

iamtheresurrection

Jesus, I should put my reading glasses on. I meant FK2 up there, sorry. ^^

Edited now.

austen

Ahhh, yes had it in my head that the FK2 was the earlier one (EP3)… ignore me!

toby1

I had an EP3, so can’t comment on any later iterations. I loved and miss my EP3, but it got to the point you could pass a tennis ball through some parts of the chassis. It’s still on the road though, in a repaired state I believe/hope.

I’d love an FK8, comments from the dealership way back when they were new, it eats tyres 6k for front set, it’s a ‘shouty’ car, people will annoy you in it to try and get you to put your foot down. I worked with a guy who had one though and he loved it, I didn’t get to play in it sadly!

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

have a deposit down on an FL5 (reservations not actually open yet so means very little)

@iamtheresurrection
    After a heart-to-heart with my IFA, I am considering an FL-5 purchase. First time (and definitely last) new-car buyer … how does this work? Do you just go in to your nearest Honda shop and ask to give them some money? Are all Honda dealers Type-R outlets, or just the bigger ones?

And, what colour? CW seems the only correct choice to me.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.