Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Any structural engineers around?
  • Zedsdead
    Free Member

I've been working on a project for days, got about an hours work left to do on it if I can find one last piece if vital information……

I need to know the shear resistance of a pre-loaded 20mm bolt.

A grade 8.8 20mm bolt has shear resistance of 48kN I'm told but that's not enough, hence the pre-loaded type.

But I can't find the info and I'm going round in circles on the net now…. my brain is pickled… 😕

Waderider
    Free Member

Does Eurocode 3 "Design of steel structures Part 1-1 General rules and rules for buildings" not cover this? Or the manufacturers own tables? I've done this recently at university*, and used one or the other for bolt selection.

I'd suggest manufacturers tables as a guess.

*Yes, I'm aware what happens at uni isn't the same as what happens in industry……

Zedsdead
    Free Member

unfortunately I don't have access to EC3. I'll try searching some manufacturers sitess….

revs1972
    Free Member

As a structural steel detailer, I have always used a figure of 91.9 Kn for the single shear value of a M20 bolt. This is in a plate of 10mm, the load can go down if you use a thinner plate , but will never be more than 91.9 Kn This is from the BS5950 tables that we use in the real world.
    As for your description of a " preloaded " bolt, can I assume that you mean a High Strength Friction Grip bolt (ususally grade 10.9 with load indicating washer and hardened round washer) H.S.F.G
    If so then the following text applies :-

The principle of HSFG bolted connections relies upon tensioning
    each bolt in the connection to a specified minimum tension so that
    the desired clamping force will be induced in the connection interface.
    Shear loads are then transferred by frictional resistance at the
    joint interface rather than by bearing on the bolt shanks and hole
    faces. In this type of connection there will be no movement of the connected
    materials when the connection is subjected to these loads.
    Movement in many types of joints is highly undesirable, hence the
    development of the friction grip connection.

The bolted faces (the faying surfaces) are left unpainted to allow the maximum frictional resistance. Load undicating washers that have tabs on are used and the tabs crush when the required torque is applied, although you ca often catch steel erectors hammering these down prior to installtion to save themselves work (although totally f**king up the principal of how these connections work) – although you never heard that from me !!

wrightyson
    Free Member

May this help?
    http://www.bapp.co.uk/downloads
    couldn't do it as a linky coz I'm on the Iphone. Looks like there's loads of guides.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

that's it revs – an HSFG bolt.

thanks revs – I can now complete and get some sleep tonight. I owe you one.

Phew!

thanks for the link wrightyson, interesting stuff.

revs1972
    Free Member

glad i could help,

might even have the values at work if you need them for the future….will post on here if I do have them ok, although hopefully you will find some on here

cheers

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Any structural engineers around?’ is closed to new replies.