Any snorkelling experts in?

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Any snorkelling experts in?
  • FunkyDunc

I think the comments above are true about face ones not being great for diving down. I struggle to but I’m not a great swimmer. They rarely fog up. Only moving from extreme temps ie I was using yesterday in between a sheltered cove and the open ocean it actually misted up coming back in to the warmer water.

Our son loves the masks

Premier Icon jairaj
    Subscriber

My experience from using a full face mask …

Very easy for beginner to pick up (ie me) found it easier than a traditional mask and pipe.

Need to spend a bit of time getting the straps correct to get a good seal but once sorted it worked fine even with a bit of stubble (6mm long). Don’t think it will work if you have a proper beard.

Get one of the better masks with the extra features and valves. Mine had separate valves for intake and exhaust so I think the chance of CO2 build up is low. The mouth and nose section is separated from the face so its a small volume of air so is easily purged with each breath. I had no dizziness or sickness from using it for 10+ mins, light breathing and heavy breathing, I felt fine.

The auto value in the intake pipe worked a treat never let any water in when I submerged under the surface.

I had a very very slight amount of fogging and really did not detract from the experience. I think the air flow is designed to blow over the front of the mask to prevent fogging and it seemed to do its job very well. The water temp was about 15degC and as newbie I would have thought this was cool enough to cause considerable condensation.

Mask is really not hard to take off in an emergency if you need. Just lift up from the chin and whip it off in a second.

The extra volume of trapped air in a full face mask compared to traditional one makes your head more buoyant so diving under the surface felt a bit harder as your head wanted to float more.

Premier Icon jimdubleyou
    Subscriber

Easier to use? I would suggest if you can’t breathe hard enough to clear a snorkel you shouldn’t be swimming in open water.

FWIW, I’m technically still qualified to teach you how to snorkel, so yeah, maybe I shouldn’t be in open water.

I would suggest that if you can’t ride a rigid 26er with canti brakes down the Fort Bill World Cup course then you shouldn’t be riding off road.

gobuchul

I would suggest that if you can’t ride a rigid 26er with canti brakes down the Fort Bill World Cup course then you shouldn’t be riding off road.

What are you on about? I guess the number of people who could do that is very low.

How does that compare with purging a snorkel?

Premier Icon jimdubleyou
    Subscriber

What are you on about?

Technological advances make things easier.

gobuchul

Technological advances make things easier.

Pointless tech is pointless.

Premier Icon jimdubleyou
    Subscriber

Pointless tech is pointless.

Purge valves and wave guards are not pointless.

gobuchul

In your opinion. I disagree. Unnecessary additions.

Premier Icon jimdubleyou
    Subscriber

Unnecessary additions.

Much like disk brakes and suspension, you can ride the WC track at Fort Bill without them, but it’s a lot more fun with.

Which was my point.

gobuchul

you can ride the WC track at Fort Bill without them,

No I can’t. In fact I doubt I could ride it with them.

mikertroid

I wouldn’t say I was an expert, but have done a huge amount of off piste snorkelling in the last 5 years.

Those Decathlon masks are okay for surface use, but if you need to dive down, you can’t clear your ears properly. I have both (my sons begged for the Decathlon one) but only ever use the normal type. Also if it doesn’t fit, it’s rubbish.

I got a great setup from Sports Direct a few years ago (Hot Tuna) and Mares fins from Amazon.

Use demister spray (£7 from amazon).

Enjoy.

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.