Any Ski Boot experts around?

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Any Ski Boot experts around?
  • mildred

I’ve just had some boots exchanged that according to the shop were incorrectly sized/fitted last year.

I paid for the full custom fit service and after a week skiing the right foot (particularly heel) was lifting in the boot. This meant it was particularly difficult to control the right ski because the ski was  dominating the. Pot and rotating & shifting the it on the foot. After a further week (in thick spring snow) the problem got worse, and was exaggerated by the heavy conditions.

Anyway I took them back for a refit and it was at this point I was remeasured and the shop found my boots were a good size too big; they also found I had a relatively narrow heel which meant the current boots couldn’t be packed out to fill the space – they tried this and the problem remained.

They did an exchange for boots from a Salomon Xpro 100 size 27/27.5 to the Xmax 100 size 26/26.5 with a narrower last and I had them fitted last week. The right boot feels fairly spot on, with no heel lift but as soon as put any weight to the front, my toes try to spread and my feet are in agony. It’s even worse with the left as that foot is slightly longer, meaning the toes at the ‘knuckles’ and ball area are crushed laterally, they’re also crushed longitudinally.

Can anyone tell me how much stretch a Salomon can withstand during a custome heated fitting? I tried wearing them at home again last night and lasted 7 minutes before agony set in..!!!!

NZCol

(ex boot fitter and also an instructor)

Take the liner out, put your foot in and slide so toes just touch end. Comfort fit is about 15mm gap at heel although you can go down to less than that, look at the heel last shape versus your heel and achilles etc. Also note where your foot touches the shell with your foot in roughly the right place. That’s the only way to size a boot – did they do that ?

You can sometimes get boots that are fitted fine but in warm places standing static you get ‘sore feet’, when you are skiing they can be OK. When did you last have boots on and do you also have footbeds in them or just the flat cardboard ones the liner comes with ? But that’s very much an exception. Where are you based ?

mildred

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>Yes they did the full fit with the liners out checking for space in key areas as you describe, & I tried a great many boots. I also had custom surefit foot beds.</span>

I live in Notts.

I’m told by the shop there’s still plenty they can do. It seems that my left foot suits the 27 boot whereas my right foot suits the 26.5. I’m told that the usual approach is that they can’t shrink a boot that’s too big, whereas they can stretch a boot that’s slightly too small.

mildred

I had them fitted last week and put them on again last night in the house.

When I initially had them fitted last week they didn’t heat the shell, just the liner. I tried them on the snow dome slope and within 4 runs I was virtually crying in pain. They felt incredibly responsive and solid but I was crippled.

I then had them refitted by heating the shell and placing pads on my feet at identified pressure points to focus any stretching/molding in these areas. Tried them on last night and like I said, lasted 7 minutes total before agony set in.

Premier Icon cheers_drive
    Subscriber

Where are you based? I can recommend the Cambridge Ski Exchange having spent a morning with Simon.

NZCol

As I read it they’d already mis-fitted you once?

Anyhoo, odd size feet is fairly normal, you can’t stretch a boot lengthways but you can create more space in the liner. You can of course stretch more width in across certain areas which again isn’t a bad thing. In terms of heel lift you can’t really tell unless you are standing in skis and using that as a lever, even standing on the flat ‘leaning forward’ you will naturally stand up a but and your heel will always move no matter how well fitted a boot is. The normal answer i give is good and see Colin at SolutionsForFeet, he may be a grumpy git but his fits are bang on.

EDIT: When you ski on them what do you have to do up clip wise ? Can you ski with them unclipped across the forefoot and only lightly clipped on the cuff ? Hard to diagnose sorry but i know the pain and there are a million reasons for it. There are also people who’s skiing means they will also suffer with boots i.e. their technique excacerbates issues like heel lift.

jblewi

Ex ski boot fitter

What were you doing when you tried the boots on for the 7 minutes?

The boot fitter will have aimed for them being comfortable when stood and flexed forwards (this draws the toes back slightly) if you chilling in an arm chair then discomfort is to be expected a little.

Yours sounds a little more that that. Did the fitter go through the process for putting the boots on? You should put your foot in the boot and then before doing anything else smack the heel against the floor so that your heel is moved back into the boot. That should help a little if you don’t do that already.

The fitter will be able to artificially stretch the toe of the boot outwards a little bit if needed. The liner will also continue to compress through use in the first couple of weeks.

Just for reference, there are no half sizes in boot shells. They will be a 265 and a 275 with the 27 having a bigger footbed under the liner to reduce the volume of the shell. So I would take the 26.5 and 27 thing with a pinch of salt unless your feet genuinely are approaching cm in size different.

mildred

Left foot (toe to heel) is 5mm longer than right.

I have very shallow heels; when looked at from the side there’s  not a lot of contour/shape from the Achilles’ tendon down to my heel.

I have narrow heels in comparison to my forefoot – imagine a flipper..!

last night I was stood in the typical flexed ski position.

The shop have been very good indeed; I was offered an exchange or refund despite. Having about 3-4 weeks skiing on my originals. The original fitter has since left the company so it’s a different guy fitting them this time round.

Premier Icon lunge
    Subscriber

The normal answer i give is good and see Colin at SolutionsForFeet, he may be a grumpy git but his fits are bang on.

This is my view. He’s a grumpy Scotsman but can do wonders to a pair of ski boots.

mildred

I reckon I could cope with the toe length; I think they’ll “bed-in” within a week; it’s the width that’s causing the most pain.

It looks like my heel shape/width is causing the issue. I’m narrow heel & average width forefoot.

Premier Icon beanum
    Subscriber

I’m sure this was explained to you (although it was news to me when I saw this) but it’s worth posting for anyone else who clicks on this thread:

Premier Icon slowoldman
    Subscriber

I’m told that the usual approach is that they can’t shrink a boot that’s too big, whereas they can stretch a boot that’s slightly too small.

Sounds right. It’s donkeys years ago but I had my Langes stretched (bunions don’t you know). Custom insoles help too as they support your entire foot properly so your foot doesn’t spread out so much.

FunkyDunc

How many different brands of boot did they try you in before deciding that Salomons were right for you ?

Sounds to me like the usual ‘custom fit’ so long as you fit the boots that we sell.

To me it’s sounds like they have gone a size too big to accommodate the width, which has then created volume problems.

Try other brands. My favourite are Full Tilt. They have a different closure and shape to any other boot, and I find them like wearing slippers. They clamp the foot down much more naturally than other boots

I have had the same size shell for many years but more recently with age my feet are spreading so I too started getting pain on the outside of the foot. I just took my boots to a shop in the La Plagne, told them where the pressure point was and they blew out the shell in those areas.

Also look at your technique. It is completely possible to ski in most conditions with boots undone, in many ways it is poor technique that encourages heel lift.

Premier Icon scaredypants
    Subscriber

Try other brands. My favourite are Full Tilt

I had a bloody lovely pair of Raichle boots with the ribbed front years ago – hadn’t heard of full tilt.  Might look ’em up next time round

Murray

Are Full Tilt the modern Raichle?

NZCol

Yep Full Tilt are Raicle mounds. But then, you need to fit them as esp in that design shell shape Is really important

cchris2lou

After reading all that , i am just lucky I can go in any rental shop and 99% of the time the boots fit and feel fine to ski from opening to closing time . No off piste but happy to do black runs all day .

FunkyDunc

Are Full Tilt the modern Raichle?

No but yes, Raichle went bust, and some American freeride skier bought the moulds and now sells them as Full Tilt.

Almost identical to Raichles of back in the day just with modern graphics to appeal to the youth.

Why change a product that was so right to start with

FunkyDunc

But then, you need to fit them as esp in that design shell shape Is really important

I dont know i now I can just put them on as standard and they fit like a glove… appreciate it could be me that has odd feet.

mildred

I tried Atomic (loved the look & really wanted some but alas felt terrible), Lange, technica, Head & Salomon. Went for the Salomon with custom foot bed – they felt awesome to start with but as the weeks went by the right boot got gradually worse.

Also look at your technique. It is completely possible to ski in most conditions with boots undone, in many ways it is poor technique that encourages heel lift.

I accept my technique will always need tweaking; I don’t live in the Alps so 1st few days are always catch-up days. However, they were ok when spanking new but as the 1st week went on they got gradually worse. 2nd week away the right boot was terrible with both heel lift and boot rotating on foot – far too big volume. Left was perfect.

I had a chat with the fitter late this afternoon and I’m reassured there’s a lot to be done yet, so I’ll recisit in a few weeks and take it from there.

3rd vote for Colin at Solutions for feet . Ex mtb racer so get him talking about Proflex and you’ll  be really well  looked after .

Not cheap, but well worth the investment . I used my custom footbeds in my work saftey wellies and they really helped relieve fatigue

On technique, everyone has a strong and a weak side for turning.  So it could be making more turns or forcing a ski around on a particular side that causes the differing boot feeling. So definitely worth keeping in mind when you are next skiing.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.