Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Any short arses ride a 29er?
  • geologist
    Free Member

I have just got the green light from the missus to get a new bike. I’m thinking of the grand canyon AL.

Im 5ft 7 (and a half) 🙂 Anyone my size ride a hardtail 29er? What model and size is it please? Also what do you think of it?

Cheers

JohnClimber
    Free Member

I’m 5′ 8″ with a 31″ inside leg and I’ve only ridden 29ers since 2008.

Medium frames are perfect for XC, large are for touring and small for trail riding fun

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Test rode a Specialized Epic I think. It felt great but then I realised I was trying to hand over £2k for a bike with one less shifter and a chain device and I came to my senses.

Felt great while I was riding it though. The Epic was a 17.5″ I believe.

rewski
    Free Member

That Emily batty

rOcKeTdOg

please don’t, especially if it ends up like this

rewski
    Free Member

Rocketdog – Is that Emily’s set up? You got to admit its a clever solution, just looks wrong.

rOcKeTdOg

the clever thing would be to give her a bike that fits… oooh, i dunno, maybe like a 26″ wheeled bike?

FactoryPhil

5ft 6 here and picking up a 16″ Whyte T129 on Friday hopefully. Coming from a 16″ trance and a 16″ inbred. Had a spin on a couple small 29ers and I reckon it’ll be fine. It would need to live up to the hype though…

Phil

geologist
    Free Member

Cheers phil, can you give us a review of it, after your first ride?

singlecrack
    Free Member

FactoryPhil ……it will ….enjoy 😉

toys19
    Free Member

I’ll be honest that pic of her riding , it doesnt look too bad, I cant help wondering if that is actually a 26er in that pic though..

ads678

5’9″ here and ride a 16″ inbred 29er. It’s fine, I probably should have bought an 18″ but the smaller one will be more fun…….

scotroutes

5’7″ and riding a MEDIUM Salsa El Mariachi – they go down to XS too.

IMAG0408 by ScotRoutes, on Flickr

I’ve been playing around with bar height/position a bit. I initially set the bars very low (with a horizontal stem) but they were too low. I now have around 15mm of spacers under the stem and the stem pointing upwards.

doug_basqueMTB.com

That Ed Oxley isn´t the bearded man mountain that people think he is 🙂 He´s totally sold on the whole 29 thing.
    Edit: He´s on FS.

FactoryPhil

Geologist, will do.

Singlecrack, thanks. I know you’re right…

Phil

bikebob

At 6’3 I’m probably too tall to comment on this, but. Would 650b be a better fit. Both SC and yeti are now offering the same bike in 29 for medium and above and 650b for xsmall and small

Personally I love mine, but at my height and fast track and trail riding, if it isn’t for me then it ain’t for anyone.
    What ever you buy Enjoy.

flatfish
    Free Member

Mrs Fish is 5’3″ and rides a Niner.

15.5″ iirc.

Her 26’s haven’t been out the garage since I built it for her.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

5’7, Superfly hardtail (17inch), it took a bit of getting used to compared to my 26″ full suss but it flies. I love it.

scotroutes

Yeti reckon a Medium frame is suitable for riders 5’7″ to 5.10″.

In any case, it’s all to do with the wheel size….what’s the point in 650B when a 29er runs better?

wobbliscott
    Free Member

5’9″ with 30″ inside leg. Got Medium frame 29er hard tail and 140mm soft tail. Bikes feel fine with none of the fictitious drawbacks often touted around on the Internet, not that I’ve noticed anyway. Wheel size is not an issue as you’re sat in between the wheels and not on top of them, so you’re not any higher off the ground as you would be on an equivalent 26er. Put my bikes next to my mate’s 26er and the BB height off the ground and the saddle and handlebar height off the ground are exactly the same. He happens to be the same height as me so bike set up is identical.

davewilson634
    Free Member

5ft9 with a 18 inch scandal perfect fit and now very chuck able once used to it .I wouldn’t go back to 26

fandango
    Free Member

I’m 1.74m and have just started my first 29er experiment. I’ve test ridden a few previously but like Ming I’m now riding a Superfly and loving it. Quite different from my 26″ FS.

jobro
    Free Member

5’8″ 29 inch inside leg and ride a medium Air 9C (80mm stem)
    Also ride Trek 69er 17 inch if that counts

bikebob

Got to agree to an extent on scots comment on 650b. But for some smaller bods 29 will possibly be just too big. OP is 5’7. Same height as my mate. He’s looking at 29 but is struggling a little with standover. But, there’s a lot to go at out there and choice is good.
    Personally I feel 650 is poss just a marketing ploy. I get 29′ I get 26 but 650 is just over an inch bigger than 26. My jury is out on it but for bike manufactures it gives another option and USP for smaller riders.
    For me 29 is great.

londonerinoz
    Free Member

No problem for me. I’m 5’7″ 29″ inside leg on a medium Trance X 29er. My 100mm stem is reversed, but it’s on top of about 30-40mm of spacers, although I might try lower just to see. The biggest thing for me is getting used to comparatively wide handlebars. It’s true I have very little frame standover with both feet on the ground, but that’s always been the case for me, and I’ve never had an incident from it while riding. I feel that the top tube length or reach is more important to fit and performance than standover. If my legs were in proportion to my torso then no-one would question whether I was tall enough for my frame. Since my saddle is lower that also effectively shortens the reach, so again I wouldn’t go to a small. Interestingly, when I called a Giant shop for frame size advice they said medium unequivocally just on the strength of my height.

mattjg
    Free Member

172cm and have 3 mediums. You’ll be fine, the ’29ers are for tall people’ is a long dead myth.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Just under 5’8″ and I ride a M El Mariachi. It fits like a glove and is proper comfy.

5’7″ here spent a weekend on a medium Santa Cruz super light 29, fitted surprisingly well, great stand over as I have short legs. It was the lowest spec one but rode nicely.

GaryLake
    Free Member

5’8″ 32 inside leg.

Medium Gyro, did have a Medium Superfly 100…

29er all the way for me.

MrsToast
    Free Member

I’m 5ft 3 and have a Scott Scale Contessa, which is great at putting the miles in on less techy stuff. I still prefer my Stumpy 26er for techy stuff though, because it has a bit more standover, and I like the full suss to compensate for my lack of skills… 😆

Moses

1m74 here, riding a small/16″ Haro Mary rigid singlespeed. None of my other bikes seem as much fun anymore.

Cheezpleez

5’9″ and riding an 18 Inbred SS. It fits and rides well but is definitely less playful than the 16″ 26 Inbred it replaced. Difficult to say how much of that is down to wheel size and how much to the frame. Just ordered a medium Singular Buzzarrd for play duties.

Try it, see if you like it, then buy accordingly.

darbeze
    Free Member

I am 5′ 6″ with a 29″ inside leg.

Have ridden a 17.5″ 26″ wheel Felt hardtail for the last 3 years. Great fit.

Just ordered 17.5″ Genesis Fortitude Race 29″ wheel. Felt brilliant on my test ride.

Top tube height only slightly taller than my Felt. Does look a lot bigger than the 26″ though. Optical illusion I guess…

mattjg
    Free Member

IMO height is only a very rough benchmark for bike fit anyway, and standover is overrated too.

If you’re really worried about standover, get a Yelli Screamy.

treaclesponge
    Free Member

Yeah a short arsed mate of mine rides a 29er Epic and keeps winning Gorricks!

iainc

5ft 10 with short (30inch) legs. Tried a Solaris, ordered a Soul 🙂

29 felt fine, but too much undercarriage/top tube action when dabbing on tecky stuff, which is mostly what I ride. Horses for courses 😆

mattjg
    Free Member

& anyway, who you calling a short arse?

wellywheels
    Free Member

5ft 7 here

17inch frame

Forme 29er carbon

ahwiles
    Free Member

iainc – Member

29 felt fine, but too much undercarriage/top tube action when dabbing on tecky stuff…

hang on, that makes little/no sense, won’t the toptube height be more or less the same for the same ‘size’…

?

iainc

ahwiles – at the saddle end, yes, but the front of a 29er with a 100mm fork is approx 2 inches higher than a 26’er with a 120mm fork.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Any short arses ride a 29er?’ is closed to new replies.