• This topic has 13 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Haze.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Any Scott Addict owners?
  • MoreCashThanDash

Thinking of one of these as a sunny weather/sportive type bike, comfort rather than speed. The shit weather/permanent mudguard bike is sorted.

Any thoughts or problems? Torn between the Ultegra model or the 105 and a wheel upgrade. My LBS can’t get any in but the big online chains seem to have stock.

Cheers

Kryton57

I don’t have one, but am considering a 50th B’day purchase so have being looking at these.   To me they seem a little “bottom of the rung” and “normal” likely then bettered by the likes of Giant & Trek e.g mainstream manufacturers in the cost department.

If I was throwing money at an Addict now it’d be an RC with Di2, with all the aero dev and integrated Syncros Stem/Bars rather than the standard one.

If I didn’t have the budget for an RC, it’s a Roubaix or Defy.

Edit:  I too would like a more educated opinion though!

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2018 Addict endurance. I really like it, moved from a Giant Defy and Propel and it’s as good as those easily. It is quite a stiff bike so don’t be too fooled by the endurance part of it it definitely feels racy from a compliance point of view on crappy road surfaces, but larger volume tyres make that easier and it has comfy geometry.

I had a similar decision to you but ended up going for the 105 model on the basis I knew I wanted to upgrade over time. Since I’ve upgraded wheels to Zipp 303’s, and the brake callipers to Hope RX4’s, and am just about to go the whole hog and upgrade groupset to SRAM Force AXS.

The only limitation is the BB. It’s a BB86PF which is fine for Shimano group sets, but if you want a groupset with a larger diameter crank spindle then you run into the potential issues of limited space for bearings and potential bearing life issues. I want to go DUB on the crank and avoid GXP, but at all quarters I’m being advised not to due to potential bearing life issues so maybe a choice between the creaking and drag of GXP, or low bearing life with DUB. However BB Infinite offer a solution, but it’s pricy.

But other than the BB standard potentially limiting crank and upgrade option if you want to deviate from Shimano, I’ve zero complaints. Been a great bike. Did the Etape du Tour last year and it was great (shame I wasn’t) and done alot of long rides and centuries on it and is comfy and efficient.

No reason not to really. Got mine from Monster cycles in Spondon on C2W as they’re a Scott dealer, which I’m sure you’ll know as you’re near Derby I think.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ojays
    Free Member

I’ve just got a Addict 20 Disc. Test ride/bed brakes in tonight and proper ride planned for Friday.

I looked at a few bikes as wanted something less racy than the Izalco Max I had but not some tank, as the Izalco was really light for a disc bike and had a fancy spec to boost.

For the more relaxed geometry it seemed to me to be well priced for the spec (decent tubeless ready wheels, full 105, full carbon frame set, good gearing, Carbon post, decent looking finishing kit, good quality and wide tyres and still pretty light at 8.5kg). Similar offerings from other well known makes were 2k plus and heavier (Domane, Emonda, Synapse etc). Looks pretty comparable to the Carbon Endurace and not any dearer than stuff from Ribble and the like.

I also like the look of it, which is obviously personal but also important to me.

Anyway I’m well happy with it in the flesh, can let you know how it is once ridden if you like.

Found a few shops with them in stock by using the Scott list of dealers site and scoping their websites. Plenty of grey ones but found a few blue too in 54 and 56.

MoreCashThanDash

Looking around even at Cube, you end up paying more for a similarly specced bike. Lots of people have told me to look at Roubaix and Defy (both of which I’ve had going back a few years) and you’re looking at £500 more. Trek are even worse.

Scott aren’t a “sexy” brand, not as well known for innovation as Trek or Spesh, or known for value like Ribble or other mainly online options. For a proper non racing mail like me, they seem a happy compromise.

Kryton57

Is it this one?

https://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/scott-addict-20-disc-blue.html#aSCxx84752019

It does look good.    The reason I was looking at Scott with this in mind:

Scott aren’t a “sexy” brand, not as well known for innovation as Trek or Spesh

…is that I have Scott Spark and I just happen to think the build quality is far better than realised in pictures.  I’m also on the fence with Di2 – mechanical is easy to fix, replace and change cables but I though Di2 might be a “treat” for a significant birthday.

Right now I ride and Eastway Emiiter R0 with 2016 105 – this very bike – a little known now defunct London brand brought and flogged by wiggle, but a stiff. comfy carbon bike at 7.8KG and the main point being the 105 is more than satisfactory.   This is the one I was looking at:

https://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/scott-addict-rc-30-yellow.html#aSCxx84737019

Its very easy to be snobbish about bikes and not appreciate this level & price range.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

There isn’t a problem with quality on Scott frames, well not mine anyway. Compared with the two giant bikes I have had it’s easily as good. They are made in Taiwan like giant and not China. Bc Probably the same factories.

Also though they’re not ‘sexy’ I’ve always considered Scott to be pretty innovative at least in the Mtb world. Not much innovation a frame maker can bring to the party on road bikes though.

ojays
    Free Member

Took mine out yesterday to bed the brakes in and check the set up.

Very happy. Really comfy, felt quick and stable. Not as quick as the Izalco it replaced but that was an out and out race bike, but not far off and way comfier position for me – nice to have room to drop the front rather than build it upwards!

Have a couple of real work pics of it if any use.

Scott Addict 20

daern
    Free Member

I’ve got a Solace, which I think the latest Addict replaced as Scott’s core endurance bike. I picked it up second-hand last winter, absolutely love it and would have another in a heartbeat. It’s comfy, reliable and quick when I need it.

TBH, I’ve no idea what spec it was originally – none of the groupset is original, nor the wheels or bars. I think only the stem and saddle now remain from the original bike – but it’s nice to ride something a bit different from the rest of the world and I’m still yet to see another one out on a ride, which always cheers me up. Had a few challenges with BB creak from the PF86 BB, but solved through proper bearing seating compound and it’s been fine since them.

Doesn’t quite answer your question, but I’d buy an Addict tomorrow, myself. Doubt you’d tell the difference between modern 105 and Ultegra unless you ride with a set of scales – the newest 105 is absolutely superb. That said, mine is Ultegra so read into that what you will 🙂

Here, have a picture for fun:

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Problem with 105 is you will always wish you had Ultegra…and so on. Cycling is a kit sport and we do like our kit!

Personally i knew I would upgrade to electronic shifting…everyone I know raves on about it so just went with 105 to bring the bike under the C2W threshold without having put too much additional cash towards it and planned to upgrade.

If you’re not fussed about upgrading then whatever suits your budget…for us normal fold 105 is a great groupset for sure.

chrisarthur
    Free Member

Just in case you weren’t aware… the bike you’ve linked to is an RC (ie. race geometry), not the endurance (non-RC) bike everyone else in the thread has been discussing.

Kryton57

Just in case you weren’t aware… the bike you’ve linked to is an RC (ie. race geometry), not the endurance (non-RC) bike everyone else in the thread has been discussing.

I was thanks, and in the context of the thread it’s important to point it out.  I decided my “50th” bike should keep me comfortable on the rough Hertfordshire roads as I grow older, hence I started looking at a Roubaix…  …but it’s nice to have a sporty little number isn’t it.

MoreCashThanDash

Picked mine up this morning, had a cheeky shake down ride – really impressed. Comfier than I expected, nice and stable even in this wind, stiff through the BB compared to my steel Condor.

And sexy as hell in the green 😎

Haze

Just pushed the button on a frameset, nothing else to add other than I’m very excited 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Any Scott Addict owners?’ is closed to new replies.