Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Any satellite dish installers in?
  • bri-72

looking for some advice, having issues getting a motorhome dish system setup.

Ta

bri-72

Anyone?

Cougar

You might get a better response if you explain the problem rather than just “having issues.”

unovolo
    Free Member

Was previously a Sky engineer for a number of years so maybe able to offer advice if you give us a idea of the issue.

bri-72

Not able to get any uk channels, I understand Astra 28.2 2E is the satellite I need. Got a 60cm dish and tried it with the motorhome for first time. After some trial and error managed to get a decent signal and scanned channels fromAstra but tv only shows 2A, B and D from memory so only German channels.

Tv didn’t even list 2E but no idea if the tv is the issue and missing the right satellites/transponders. Or if the dish not sure the issue given was getting some channels.

did try manually adding transponder for bbc 2 with correct MHz etc but when I scanned that it didn’t pick anything up.

A bit stumped. And if I spend another pointless 1 hour at it when I should be enjoying the trip away the Mrs will kill me!

Ps I’m in north of Scotland and have seen some suggest need 80cm or bigger dish to get Astra up here. But everyone else on site had a smaller dish so not sure that’s the issue.

Cheers in advance

cogglepin

What are you aligning the dish with? Most of the German channels are on 19 degrees, so it sounds like you might be on that satellite. Try moving it a few degrees to the east.

bri-72

One of those small signal strength meters with the audible beep. The thing that confuses me is when I scanned Astra 28.2 from the tv it did pick up channels (the German ones).  Maybe I need to ignore the tv, it lists dozens of satellites and maybe what I think it’s scanning isn’t the one I’m actually locked onto.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Probably no help but my mate had a system fitted by the dealer he bought the motorhome from & when he went to Chamonix he could get everything, even Coronation Street!

Junkyard
    Free Member

surely its just easier to go and get help from one of the other campervans ? They are almost always universally helpful- like cyclists when out on  the trails but not on the internet

cogglepin

I would ignore the tv and try moving it east slightly and also slightly down. You could do with getting yourself  a decent satellite meter that actually tells you which satellite you are picking up from. A good quality second hand one would set you back about 100 notes off the bay.

bri-72

Ta shall look into that.

unovolo
    Free Member

Are you using a boggo standard Sky style satellite dish(Same as fitted on UK homes)mounted on a tripod, or a motorhome specific style one.

Either way I would start with the basics, make sure the skew angle on the LNB is set to the right setting(they rotate within the holder)its normally the middle of 5 on the notches on the side,its vary easy to overlook this and is a quite common cause of poor signal.

Check that first then try realigning the dish and see where you stand.

bri-72

Feedback in case anyone interested.

Tried again this wkend on a different campsite. Aimed further south of east than last time (trees stopped me doing that 1st time around). About 150deg rather than 135 the user guide suggested. So quite a difference. Also had the dish vertical rather than slightly tilted.

And success. Full uk channels from Astra. Still no way to tell while lining up whether I’ve got the right satellite or not, but at least I know that with trial and error is possible.

May invest in digital meter/finder in future to reduce the trial and error aspect.

Happy days

delstron
    Free Member

There’s a handy app called “Dish Align”  tells you where to point and at what angle.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Any satellite dish installers in?’ is closed to new replies.