Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Any runners on here ??
  • Ifrider
    Free Member

Fancied trying something different yesterday so went for a couple of miles jogging… Felt great, only had a pair of “trendy” trainers though and today I feel like my right foot has got something broken in it !! Sharp pain in the outer arch, can put weight on it but dead annoying. Should I sack off running and stick to the bike or is it simply the wrong footwear ?

MrSparkle

b. Get to a ‘proper’ running shop and get some ‘proper’ running shoes. oh, and stop running on glass.

alwyn
    Free Member

First get proper shoes, get them fitted and it should help you a lot. If it was a longish fast run then maybe you just need to recover. You might also need some orthotics.

mushrooms
    Free Member

Sounds like you over did it a bit, I would start off with a few 5minute runs to let you get used to it. Then build up slowly

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Can you post a pic of the trendy trainers you used please?

And, yes, get some “running” shoes!!

djglover
    Free Member

very important to build it up gently, especially if you are fit from the bike. big risk of over doing it. Also you need the best fitting trainers you can lay your hands on.

surfer
    Free Member

If youve only done a couple of miles jogging and assuming youve not been totally inactive before you should not have experienced too many problems.
    Advice above ref buying proper shoes is right if you want to continue running regulalrly.
    Regarding the pain its possible you have simply bruised your foot, its common and you may not remember stepping on anything but if its the case it will ease within a few days and you may find you can even run gently on it. Try to stay on soft ground.

Jamie
    Free Member
    rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

You probably don’t need orthotics.

Are you running off-road? if so, get some grippy shoes – Inov-8 are widely available (and british) in a range of models so you can probably find a supplier nearby. Personally I like Adidas Swoop IIs very soft, forgiving shoe but without too thick a sole (important to reduce chance of turning an ankle) but plenty of grip.

Pete Bland has a good website for all off road running stuff.

Probably your foot hurts because you are doing something new. Have a few days off then do it again.

dmjb4
    Free Member

I’m a regular runner and I agree with the posts above. Get some decent shoes – find a running shop that puts you on a treadmill etc, watches your style and judges whether you over / under pronate. You should not need orthotics unless you have physio and they tell you so. Good shoes will cost you £60 upwards from a sports shop, but when you find a pair that fit, you can replace them with a new pair online without needing to be re-fitted. running brands tend to stick to the same design every year, higher number in the name, different colours, same shoe.

Build up your mileage slowly. If you are fit from the bike, you can run many times further than your body can handle at this stage. Running is an impact sport, and your joints etc need to build up to this. 5k 10k now, 10m in a few months. On decent running shoes. Otherwise you can start bad habits leading to permananent problems.

aleigh
    Free Member

a decent pair of trainers that have been recommended to you after using the gait method is the way to go 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Any runners on here ??’ is closed to new replies.