Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Any roofers? Renewing velux windows
  • robbie
    Free Member

Any roofers on here? thought I’d ask.
    I’ve got 4 velux windows that i would like to renew in my bungalow, They are relly old and now the replacements for them are 40mm narrower which apparantly the flashing kit takes up?? well thats how it came across going from a GGL5 model to a SK06 model. So question is are they easy to change or better with a roofer. Fairly handy with the diy jobs but don’t want to take it on if its a bit more complex and risk some water ingress.
    Also anyone have any comparisons with the different glazing options is it worth the upgrade to go for the tripple glazed versions?
    Cheers

wzzzz
    Free Member

Whats wrong with them? I had an old one once and found you could get spares for them.

I replaced the glass just from a glass merchant who made a unit to the dimensions.

robbie
    Free Member

Units are blown condensation between glass, seals don’t seem very good and the woodwork is not looking the best, They must be nearly 40 yrs old i would have thought. And as I’m getting the bedrooms redone I thought it would be a good time. Plus if I can get ones that have a better noise reduction that would be a bonus.

espressoal
    Free Member

It’s easy if you have a roofing ladder but everything on a roof takes 10 times longer than it would on the ground, if the sarking is intact by the time you get the old one out they just drop in, Velux usually do a video installation thing for each model, there are cheaper makes that come in the same sizes, and the glazing panels are replaceable, you just pick the seal out, lift out and do the reverse to install, if you do this take the actual glass to get a new one, there is nothing worse than getting up on a roof and discovering a cheapo tape measure is not accurate.

Loughan
    Free Member

I’ve a number of velux windows. One was leaking and the previous owner didn’t deal with condensation so the wood is in poor condition

For the wood I’m treating the mold & sanding down & painting over but the leaky window had 2 chaps huffing & puffing for the best part of the day, with scaffolding in place. essentially they replaced the flashing but it was more work than I expected.

Maybe get some chaps in to assess the condition (they looked at ours and said it just needed tidied not replaced) and either get the flashing done or replace completely one of them to gauge the effort involved. There maybe plastering work involved if the window comes out?

supertune205
    Free Member

I fitted 2 Velux windows and did all the work from inside. Fitted frame flashing and replaced all of a set of steps

espressoal
    Free Member

To fit from the inside do you not need a particular window that can? for roofs with no access..or maybe I imagined that, ones I had, had an overlapping edge with the flashing on the outside then you need to replace the slates back up to the flashing.

Couple of things for the OP – if the flashing kit is different you may need to recut slates/tiles to fit around, new ones are usually wider to save this but something to consider maybe.

I think the only real worry is taking the old window out and the supporting timber below it is needing replaced.

finbar
    Free Member

We just had the glass and seals replaced in ours (literally yesterday). Was only £190, and its apparently the third-biggest size Velux do – felt like a bit of a bargain to me.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Any roofers? Renewing velux windows’ is closed to new replies.