Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Any riders from near Eastleigh, Hampshire?
  • Jungli
    Free Member

Hi all

My family and I are moving to Eastleigh (near Winchester) in a few weeks.

Just wondered if there are any riders who can show me some off road routes around there area.

Any off road GPX routes also welcome

Thanks

Jay

DezB
    Free Member

Eastleigh (near Winchester)

Near Sarfampton innit? WCA will show you how to crash at Southampton Bike Park 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Eastleigh (near Winchester)

Is that what the estate agent told you? 😁

Oh, and…Martine’s! Sadly missed!

There’s a Hampshire thread on here. Will try and dig it up.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    owenh

I work in Eastleigh (technically Bishopstoke as just over the railway bridge) but bike in from Chandlers Ford. Most of my MTB riding is cross country biased on a short travel 29er. Most of the routes I do will involve some time on tarmac unfortunately and involve transporting the bike to a start point.

Farley Mount to the NW of Eastleigh would be a good place to start, there are trails in the woods there or link together with a longer route on bridleways. Such as this : https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2728842762

Easy access to the South Downs Way from Winchester or Cheesefoot head and can make up some circular routes off that as well.  Queen Elizabeth country park is about 45mins drive or ride to it via the SDW with the red and blue trails. Again can make a longer ride East or West by using bridleways from there.

There are some waymarked routes that the council have done on this site: https://www.hants.gov.uk/thingstodo/countryside/cycling?search=yes&q=route&requiredfields=routetype:challenging%20cycle%20route

Owen

OwenP

I’m in winchester and confusingly share a name with the poster above…:)

I try to link up the singletrack / fun stuff I can find, but it’s certainly mostly xc riding with some notable small areas of more difficult trails or local centres (which I can ride to, just, but often drive to). Depending on how far you are moving to the area you may know some of them already (QECP, Rogate, etc). I also ride averagely in the Southern Enduro series, which  is gravity enduro stuff and is mostly centred on this area if that kind of racing is your thing.

There have been jump trails in Stoke Park Woods near Eastleigh, but the last time I went by everything was taped off…

Happy to share what I know locally, but another new baby means my rides are aiming for “short and sweet” right now!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member
    manton69

Also just outside Winchester (Twyford).  Straight out on to the downs and off in to the woods around here. I ride at least once a week in the vending and at the weekends so happy to show you round.  Loads of stuff around and you can go as long or short as you want.

Drop a line here and I am sure we can all hatch up a plan.

cobrakai

I’m bishops Waltham.

Plenty around as mentioned above. Being a jock and not from the local area, do what I did. Get an OS map and go and explore.

Stoke park woods down hill trails are now open and they have a face book page etc. Not used it yet but heard good but scary things.

Lordswood is ok too. Conveniently right next to Southampton bike park.

joefm

Depends on what type of riding you do.

If you want to ride from your door you are pretty limited to a few woodland spots.  But with a bit of road riding you can get onto bridleways that link to the south downs.  That’s if you have an XC orientated bike.  Usually it’s easier to chuck the bike in the car to the places mentioned above.

rascott
    Free Member

HI, I’m in Fair Oak which is on the edge of Eastleigh.  My regular XC ride is 3 miles on-road then bridleway following your nose to the east of Marwell zoo in a northerly direction to Cheesefoot Head, then back home again.  14 mi and takes about 1 hour 40 mins.  The return leg is best, particularly a fast rooty section called Featherbed Lane. Watch out for horses though – loads about.

Access to the SDW at Cheesefoot Head if you want long out and back rides.

As a previous poster said get the OS map and highlight the bridleways and you’ll be able to piece together lots of routes.

Loads of stuff on the far side of Winchester, Farley Mount etc but I don’t know it as well.

Bike Park Bishopstoke (in Stoke Park Woods between Fair Oak and Eastleigh) is now open but Ive not plucked up courage yet as its a bit jumpy and I don’t have the skills but its all rollable, no gaps. I’ve also had a (cheeky) tear around the rest of the woods which can occupy a spare hour in the evening but its a case of following your nose and being polite to dog walkers. You are meant to stay on the gravel main paths.

Mostly these days I head east to QE Country Park as its a half way point with my riding buddy who is in Portsmouth.  There is a blue and red trail and easy access to SDW and other XC routes.  Park at the (free) carpark on the Buriton side and cycle up the hill to the start of the blue.

Ive not checked out Soton Bike Park or Lordshill yet.

Further afield…

IoW is a boat ride away and is like the south downs on steroids – haven’t been riding there for 20 years but must go again.

Purbeck Hills also good – did the Wiggle Purbeck-o-Saurus there a couple of years ago

Surrey Hills and Swinley within easy enough reach although I have not been to Swinley since i broke my pelvis a year ago!!

andyg1966

kinda A3 based but shameless plug

http://www.southdownsmtb.co.uk

garage-dweller

Mostly covered above.

Eastleigh is definitely more Southampton than Winchester. From Eastleigh I’d be looking towards Southampton Bike Park, Farley Mount (west of Winchester), Sparsholt, Shawford, South Downs from Cheesefoot Head and then there’s a few other places along the A272 you can start from such as Cheriton.

Within an hour you’ve got Swinley and Queen Elizabeth Park for trail centres, Rogate for proper downhill.

When the weather’s been utterly stinking the pedally and short singletrack loop at Moors Valley is pretty bomb proof and there is/was a bike park there.

Beyond that get a couple of OS maps. When I lived in Southampton I’d often head over towards Chichester, Singleton, Walderton, Harting area as there’s some lovely big scenery riding over that way.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Any riders from near Eastleigh, Hampshire?’ is closed to new replies.