Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Any regulars on the Paddington to Swansea line?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

I have to use it this evening, is there any good time to do it? Or will it be jam packed all afternoon?

Rickos
    Free Member

IME the couple of trains stright after the peak/off-peak cut-off are rammed. Suits run to get a seat which is quite amusing. Book a seat and you’ll be OK.

molgrips
    Free Member

I have not booked a seat cos I don’t relaly know what time I’m leaving. I have an open return though so I can take any train…

Stuey01
    Free Member

Friday evening it’s a nightmare. Before rush hour if you can manage it, otherwise just cram on with everyone else…

Markie
    Free Member

Based on my experience, you’ll get a seat on the 18:00 if you’re quick to the platform (and maybe do some overtaking on the platform!) once it’s announced.

Worth running for a seat IMO as you get a much more pleasant journey than if stuck sardining in the aisle.

rusty90
    Free Member

I do this regularly unfortunately, and if you haven’t got a booked seat because you don’t know what train you’ll be getting, it’s a pretty mad scramble for seats on the peak time trains. Lots of commuters going to Reading, Swindon and Didcot.
    A good strategy is to hang out on the balcony at the far end of the platforms – this gives you a good head start for the 2nd class carriages over the masses on the main concourse. Keep your eye on the indicator boards and as soon as the platform number comes up do a Ursain Bolt impression and trample over anyone who gets in your way. Carriages B and C usually have the most unreserved seats available.
    I love the audible sighs of relief as the train finally leaves Bristol Parkway and the Welsh passengers all start talking to each other !

zbonty

I’m in Reading (first stop) and loads pile off then, so you wont be standing for long.

Or loiter on the bridge over the tracks at Paddington so you dont have to sprint against everyone running from the far end.

molgrips
    Free Member

A good strategy is to hang out on the balcony at the far end of the platforms

I like this – good idea!

When do you reckon rush hour starts? 4pm?

llama

avoid leaving paddington between 4 and 6. You will be standing for an hour minimum unless you (a) wait on the bridge for the h+c line, steps down onto platforms right next to the standard class cars or (b) engage in the scrum rush

stay in the pub until after 6, they even have a departure board in there

ransos
    Free Member

stay in the pub until after 6, they even have a departure board in there

And Fullers on draught…

Stuey01
    Free Member

Good point made by zbonty – worst case is you’ll be standing for the first part of the journey.

Ursain Bolt

?

portlyone

United play Swansea tomorrow. May be a few fans going early to explore them foreign places.

brassneck

Goes quiet after Reading (30 minutes). There is one around 17:00 (not sure if it goes all the way to Swansea though) that empties out before then, at Twyford I think for the Henley branch.

GrahamS

Mornington Crescent!

molgrips
    Free Member

Update: on the 1645, next to a bloke browsing for what looks like waterproofs on his iPhone. Seat C44. If this is you – hi.

rusty90
    Free Member

Great – a forum post that says “I’m on the train …” 😀
    Get to the buffet before the only sandwiches left are egg and cress.

wonnyj
    Free Member

Well done for getting a seat. Often I’m standing until reading.

I predict that in Cardiff the train will fill up with drunken middle aged women and by Neath drunken lads out on the piss to Swanners.

Have a good one!

Stuey01
    Free Member

Great – a forum post that says “I’m on the train …”
    Get to the buffet before the only sandwiches left are egg and cress.

They are my favourites 🙁

tajktm
    Free Member

What is your email. Re brompton.

wonnyj
    Free Member

Brompton me?
    Jjw1001@gmail.com

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Any regulars on the Paddington to Swansea line?’ is closed to new replies.