Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Any recommendations for riding in Brittany?
  • breninbeener

We are off on hols to Quiberon in Brittany. Its me and Mrs B going. As well as cheese, wine and books, we intend to ride bikes.

Im after some route recommendations please. I have seen the Gravel to Briezh route, but thats a big multiday. Ideally i was after some half day loops that we can access either from the door or with a short van drive. We have gravel, mtb or road bikes but im thinking gravel may be most versatile.

If anyone has any experience or routes then any help is gratefully received.

Thanks

Ian

pondo

Oof – I post only to add our recent experience, as you plan on lots more cycling than us! We stayed at the southern tip in August, and it was great – just so refreshing to have lots of segregation (even if only a painted lane), loads and LOADS of people on bikes, and great bike-friendly weather.

We only jumped in the car once (ironically to go get bike stuff – tubes and rim tape), otherwise it was two weeks of going everywhere by bike. Easy to pop into town for supplies or to eat, lots of different beaches (water crystal-clear on the west coast but icy cold!), we never felt a need to leave the peninsula – looked like tarmac cycle paths all over the shop, but traffic in high season was so busy we gave it a swerve (looks like only one route on or off for cars, so big queues and prolly not much fun even to ride alongside in August).

Didn’t have a bad meal but La Mer A Boire was really nice, and we were big fans of grabbing a bottle of wine from Carrefour and sharing in the town square of an evening, there’s always stuff going on. Loved it – a type of holiday we’ve not been on for years, but can’t wait to do again. 🙂

Marin
    Free Member

Sailed down the coast a few weeks ago. No help to you but it was lovely!

corroded
    Free Member

I’d agree re the gravel bike. I did the Tro Bro Leon sportive a while back and it was excellent: lots of gravel tracks and quiet lanes (and steep hills). That event is way out west though so don’t know of the route is relevant.

MrTricky
    Free Member

Try Decathlon when you are there – we got good maps which were aimed at cyclists and had loads of local routes marked on them

mattbee

The network of Voie Vert around Brittany was a pretty good way of getting around by bike when we were there a couple of years ago. Mixture of very quiet roads, gravel tracks and segregated cycle paths. Quite good to use as a base for putting routes together too.

rak
    Free Member

I rode this
    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/353572694
    years ago, purely to title my Strava ride ‘I’m on Crac’h’. Rode it on an MTB, but gravel bike is likely to be more suitable

If you have a Garmin account, Connect picks up lots of public routes around the area

breninbeener

Thanks for all the info.

The voie vert look good and i had seen the Brittany sportive and also an event called Gravel Tro Briezh.

I will check out further routes and post back what i find

Thanks

Ian

johnx2
    Free Member

Brittany’s pretty big. I’ve ridden a fair bit around the Pointe du Raz peninsula mainly and with my kids when they were kids. There are some nice granite coast ups and downs, fun stuff in the woods at Locronan etc, but all a long way from Quiberon and not really worth the drive.

I have stayed at end of the peninsula (Sofitel – posh stay, no bikes) and don’t think it looked much like bike territory, though a quick google (quiberon vtt) gives this route: https://www.utagawavtt.com/randonnee-vtt-gps/Quiberon-et-sa-cote-sauvage-22977 and it looks like there should be stuff round Carnac too.

..and here’s a few more routes. French local tourism offices tend to be pretty good for this sort of thing:

https://www.baiedequiberon.co.uk/explore/walking-in-the-bay-of-quiberon/cycling-circuits

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.