• This topic has 13 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by TP.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Any recommendations for family location in scotland?
  • scant
    Free Member

never been to scotland. I’d be quite happy surronded by big mountains & nothing else, but need some stuff to entertain my young kids. any recommendations please?

geoffj

Aviemore

gusamc
    Free Member

Aviemore area seconded

have a look at Plockton – area, poss not as much for kids

also Galloway area (Glentrool, Galloway forest park etc) – beautiful but not ‘big mountains’

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Spin
    Free Member

Hard to look past the Aviemore area for that spec. What sort of stuff would you be looking for for your kids?

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Yup, Aviemore. Got it all, Tons of biking and tons of stuff for the family

MoreCashThanDash

Not gone further up than Dumfries and Galloway – well, I did once, and came back with MrsMC, but that’s another story – but loads around there – big hills, nice beaches, several animal parks to entertain the kids, Mabie Farm Park at the bottom of a well known mountain biking centre….

properbikeco
    Free Member

to live or holiday, tbh D&G is just as good as the rest of the country, assuming you can find a job…

geoffj

D&G is also a good call. Mountains aren’t as gig, but Kircudbright is my favourite down there.

mangatank
    Free Member

Peebles! Easy access to Glentress, Innerleithen, Edinburgh and all manner of Dark Age drove roads and single tracks.

chiefinspector
    Free Member

Aviemore for sure. The Hilton Hotel at Coylumbridge is great for kids and there is plenty to do in the surrounding area. I went there last year with the family but was allowed to take the bike and go off for a day. Headed to Laggan Wolftrax while she had a day of pampering. Looking to go there again this year.

grum
    Free Member

Really not a fan of Aviemore personally, but then I don’t have kids to entertain. West coast is much more attractive IMO.

davetrave
    Free Member

Where you travelling from? If you can bare the time/distance, another +1 for Aviemore.

To me West Coast is more attractive with the more Alpine style scenery but there is less for kids and Aviemore’s within an hour of home as well.

grum
    Free Member

Highland Wildlife Park is pretty good round there.

TP
    Free Member

If you want West Coast then Oban. Plenty to do with kids and proper mountains and various boat trips plus the option of island visits on the ferries. Non of the rounded Cairngorm variety (and I live by them -they’re just not the same). If the weather was a bit better over there I’d move back to the area.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Any recommendations for family location in scotland?’ is closed to new replies.