Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 85 total)
  • Any reason why I shouldn't buy a Subaru Impreza ?
  • Klunk
    Free Member

That’s the Focus hatchback compared to the Impreza Wagon, as per the OP. It might actually surprise a lot of people since the Wagon looks like a scaled down estate.

and I was talking about the saloon, so why quote wagon figures at me 😕

jimjam
    Free Member

Klunk

and I was talking about the saloon, so why quote wagon figures at me

So you can get two complete bikes and gear in an impreza saloon?

Klunk
    Free Member

yep and a workstand and a toolbox

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Speshpaul

At 99p a litre, suddenly they make perfect sense again 😀

butcher

At 99p a litre, suddenly they make perfect sense again

It’s definitely the time for it. Expect the resale price to plummet when fuel goes back up though!

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

If you want something quick, reliable and will take a bike with the front wheel removed how about a Civic Type R?

The image? Even with all the wings and scoops, and that silver foil up front, it’s still a grandads car. All Hondas are. It’s the Rover in the history.

santacruzsi
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies…

My current car is a Mk7 fiesta ST. It’s nippy and comfortable but have to take both wheels off and lower the saddle , as well as obviously drop the seats to squeeze my zesty in! I’ve already scuffed the plastic a few times.

I like cars with a bit of poke but don’t intend on trying to boy race everyone off the lights or pretend I’m Colin McRae!

I previously had a bmw 320d (57 plate ) and had to drop the seats with that, I’m happy to do with the Impreza just want to make it easier and not have to totally take it apart!

Yes expecting nothing towards 30mpg , if I do a bonus!

theboyneeds
    Free Member

Has anyone mentioned the head gaskets? They’ll go and it’ll cost you 2k to fix. If anybody says they won’t, don’t believe them. They will and you’ll kiss goosbye to the ti build you were planning.

And they eat petrol.

Other than that they’re fun.

Klunk
    Free Member

I did 220k in mine without the head gaskets going, I could be lying though, very few issues really.

jimjam
    Free Member

santacruzsi
    Thanks for the replies…

My current car is a Mk7 fiesta ST. It’s nippy and comfortable but have to take both wheels off and lower the saddle , as well as obviously drop the seats to squeeze my zesty in! I’ve already scuffed the plastic a few times.

Well, it goes without saying but try before you buy. Imo you’re taking a step backwards in terms of fun, refinement, economy and reliability with negligible performance gains. I’d get a roof rack for the Fiesta.

Northwind

The wagon has a pretty rubbish boot for an estate car its size. Better than a Fiesta but if you’re upgrading for capacity it’s maybe not a great option. Definitely try it first. If you want a quick car first and a boot second then why not.

It’s really not the same sort of car but, Legacy? Gets you your badge, your 4×4, your funny shaped engine, hunt down a spec b or quick jdm model and it’ll go both forward and around corners like a bastard, and it’s got a proper estate boot.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I had two that didn’t blow head gaskets. I could also be lying. And 30 mpg is achievable on a good run I did it back from cornwall. Just keep her below 3500rpm… if you can

Frankenstein
    Free Member

As long as you enjoy it.

Personally had a few sport cars and now enjoy power but quiet and comfort with fast acceleration to 70.

Go for it and when you want something different or classy – then sell it. Might have a chav image but it’s a drivers car.

You’re only young once. Just get a good one you can sell on.

olly2097
    Free Member

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

Weeping rocker cover gaskets can be an issue but head gaskets unusual. The dngines are good for 350 bhp on a standard internals so the 220/280 standard engines are normally bomb proof.

allfankledup

I started a new job in Ascot back in 99, lived in Chippenham at the time, so a few miles down the M4. Turned up first day at then office where I understood that I could pick up the marketing managers old motor until my passat estate turned up as a company My new peers started swearing at me when I explained the state of the nation to me.

Little did I know, my temporary company car was an impreza turbo.

Ran it for a good few months around the motorways of Southern England.
    As above, went like stink, gripped like the proverbial to a blanket, saved me from going through a hedge more than once. It routinely gave me 30mpg when travelling at 80ish on the m4, every car it caught up with just moved out of the way. Probably less effective these days but that was how it worked….

Top fun, would have another

jimjam
    Free Member

olly2097

https://youtu.be/uHbNuyubhz0

Oh well if we’re posting songs. *

*some swearing

tom200

Legacy spec b estate is the more elegant solution to your problem. Just as thirsty, but much nicer inside.

seadog101

Forester XT. Almost as much fun, more space, nicer inside.

santacruzsi
    Free Member

Thanks for the heads up regarding the boot,space. I’d like be able to get a bike in with seats down. Not keen on racks personally.

kimbers

Whatever you do don’t go on any owners club rallys

Last year did Snowdon, family in Dyfi met up with mates for early start up and down, there was a fell running race there that day too, so all the crowds were cheering the runners as we scoffed our well earned brunch after smashing the Rangers 😉

There was an imprezza rally driving thru the town too, they seemed to think the crowds were cheering them, so were waving, revving and honking at the bemused crowds

Anyway I had to get back to the family but got stuck behind the procession, thinking that these guys would be hitting the welsh roads like MacRae , unfortunately the road had just been resurfaced and they all crawled along at 5mph to protect their highly polished prized possessions from stone chips, took me twice as lonng to get back to Dyfi as on the way there to my increasingly grumpy wife.

Thats my only interaction with a Subaru so that just had to share

AlanMc100
    Free Member

It’s a bit of a regional thing really.
    If you happen to live somewhere like Newcastle, Bristol or Liverpool ……. buying a ten year old Impreza will instantly single you out in the eyes of the Law as a hoody wearing drug dealer who lives on a rough council estate and is probably “up to something” ……. so expect to get pulled by the Plod on a regular basis !
    (I happen to live in Newcastle and I think Inprezas are cracking cars – but I’m just offering an honest opinion)

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Mate of mine (ex British class rally champion) has had various cars over the years, including a stripped out blinged up Imprezza.

The Imprezza was the scariest to be a passenger in because it was brutally fast, and stuck to the road like glue. (Apparently when they don’t stick like glue, they let go in a big way though)

However on the road it was just that, fast and stuck to the road. He took me out in an old Skoda Fabia, MX5, and old Golf GTI, and he could do amazing things with them.

He said they were all way more fun to drive than the Impreza, and way less dangerous.

So the moral is if you want a fun car there are better options than an Imprezza. If you want a fast car, then fair enough

hora
    Free Member

I’ve owned three Subaru’s. The only time I’ve been ever scared in a car was in a Impreza STI driven by me. The interior- its a car not a gin palace. I love Subaru’s interiors. I love the frameless doors and one day I might own my fourth Subaru. Awesome cars.

Fantombiker

I had an Impreza turbo wagon. Quite a narrow boot, limited space for rear passengers. The real downside for me was steering feel, you can’t feel anything,

surfer
    Free Member

Has anyone mentioned that they are very thirsty and horrible inside and you need to remove the engine every time you top up the washer fluid ?
    Other than that they are good,

hora
    Free Member

Buy a VW diesel then.

loddrik
    Free Member

It’s a bit of a regional thing really.
    If you happen to live somewhere like Newcastle, Bristol or Liverpool ……. buying a ten year old Impreza will instantly single you out in the eyes of the Law as a hoody wearing drug dealer who lives on a rough council estate and is probably “up to something” ……. so expect to get pulled by the Plod on a regular basis !
    (I happen to live in Newcastle and I think Inprezas are cracking cars – but I’m just

Not round here they aren’t (Liverpool). I think you’ll find that drug dealing yoofs are driving brand new Golf R’s, Audi S3’s X5’s, 335d’s etc. A 10 year old Impreza doesn’t cut much ice in those circles and the police probably wouldn’t look twice at one.

mdavids
    Free Member

Not round here they aren’t (Liverpool). I think you’ll find that drug dealing yoofs are driving brand new Golf R’s, Audi S3’s X5’s, 335d’s etc. A 10 year old Impreza doesn’t cut much ice in those circles and the police probably wouldn’t look twice at one.

Yep. The type of utter spanner that originally gave the impreza it’s poor reputation will now be driving something VAG. Scoobys just don’t give off the ‘correct’ image.
    And traffic pol don’t actually seem to exist anymore, can’t remember the last time I spotted one.

sharkattack

Reading with interest as I’ve been thinking about one as a second car for a while now. There’s a very clean black Sti Blobeye prowling the street outside my girlfriend’s house as we speak.

They have a terrible image but I think the worst of it is over. You can’t buy more performance for the money. They’re an iconic car with an impressive heritage that people will want to remember. Prices are guaranteed to rocket when a certain generation comes of age and realises how scarce nice original examples are.

Byy one while the prices are bottomed out and get it out of your system.

choppersquad
    Free Member

I had the WRX Sportwagon and it was a hoot to drive.
    Of course it’s thirsty, but at least when you fill it up you get to have fun with all that unleaded.
    It was the most reliable car I’ve ever had and only sold it because I needed a van for work.
    The boot is not that big, but plenty big enough if you take your front wheel off.
    Go for it.

joepose
    Free Member

Cause u might look like a tit?

timber

Based on a friends ownership, the Impreza is the sensible, refined economical one. Mitsubishi Evos are the ridiculously fast, direct, expensive ones. Evo did have about a 150hp more than the Prodrive though.

santacruzsi
    Free Member

Joepose – I may look a tit, but I’m not bothered about that .

_tom_
    Free Member

One of my mates has one and seems to like it. Goes like shit off a shovel when he puts his foot down, bit scary at times haha.

I’d rather have a sporty golf or something though. Better image and probably a better car. Mines just a normal one but I’m happy enough with it and only have to take the front wheel off my bike to fit it in the back with the seats down.

santacruzsi
    Free Member

_tom : so you can get a bike in with front wheel off? I appreciate the boot isn’t the biggest but would like to know real world living with.

The dealer where I’m looking at this particular one is closed until Monday.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

When I was looking at a car years ago I took my 2 bikes to see how they would fit. Could you ride down to look at the Impreza?

hora
    Free Member

We are a funny lot about perceived image. I could spend £500 a month on a lease Audi and feel ‘superior’.

A few years my old Italian MD was offered a Golf GTI as a stop gap company car. His response was ‘I’m not driving around in a woman’s car’ so it sat in the carpark unloved whilst he took taxi’s everywhere.

Most would have said ‘give Mr the keys’ I imagine. Me included.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

It’s not just perceived image. 10 years ago I would have been happy to drive around in a car that looks shouty about its bhp. Now I’m in mid 30s I want the power but not shout about it, regardless of how the car drives. Impreza’s get attention off boy racers and the older ‘classic’ shape are on front lawns with 555 stickers on. Despite how good a standard p1/22b/rb5 is it’s no longer for me based on image alone. I do like subarus, they are well made and drive well but wouldn’t pick one I could ignore the ‘muppet motor’ comments from peers, the the wings and bonnet scoops and loud ‘zorts put me off.

_tom_
    Free Member

_tom : so you can get a bike in with front wheel off? I appreciate the boot isn’t the biggest but would like to know real world living with.

Yeah, mines just a standard 5 door Golf tdi so not sure if the sportier 3 doors will fit. Worth noting my bike is a small framed 26″ wheeled one though so if you have a bigger frame with bigger wheels ymmv.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘Any reason why I shouldn't buy a Subaru Impreza ?’ is closed to new replies.