Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 92 total)
  • Any reason why I shouldnt buy a 160000 mile VW Passat 1.9Tdi S 130?
  • lowey

Ive got an 05 plate 130tdi as a company car. It is literally bombproof.

Its done 205000 and the engine still feels like new.

only gripes are 2 heater matrix’s, tiwce the drivers window motor has packed up, 3 CV joints, 1 clutch. Other than that… brilliant car.

molgrips
    Free Member

My sister has one of these cars, older though – W reg perhaps? Something like 120k miles. She said that water was getting into the car, so I told her about the 10 minute fix with the plenum drains, and she won’t do it because it’s ‘not worth it, the car’s on its last legs anyway’. In actual fact, two electric window motors have failed and the central locking doesn’t work.

I told her that it will eventually destroy the comfort ECU which is expensive to replace, and she just doesn’t care. She is going to let a perfectly sound car go to scrap for the sake of 10 mins work on it and zero cost.

stumpy01

mcmoonter – Member

From what I’ve read on here the 1.9tdi seems capable of many more miles. Why you would need to spend more on a car I don’t know?

Well, mine will be on 230k miles by the end of the week; still on it’s original clutch, DMF, exhaust, turbo….
    That’s in an Ibiza. Had it over 7 years and bought it 3 years old with 24k miles on it, so have put 206k miles on it myself.
    It’s only on it’s 2nd set of front discs and pads – first set lasted 119k miles!!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mactheknife

McMoonter, i have the 2007 version of your car, 150,000 miles on the clock. Absolute cracker of a car. I have a massive dent in the rear door and the alloys are falling apart which i am going to repair as i do not want to get rid of it and they are annoying me. I will probably run it until it dies. I have had it for 4 years and it has never missed a beat.

jam-bo

for the sake of 10 mins work

based on your record with ECU’s, i’d ignore you as well….

ononeorange

I missed this thread before. I have just this weekend sold my Audi A4 TDi 130bhp which I really loved, with “just” 98,000 on the clock. The engine was superb, beautifully smooth, and the rest of the car had only needed two springs, a suspension arm and two sensors in 50,000 miles and 6 years. Amazing to me.

Its replacement – a 1.9 TDi 115bhp – is much lower mileage but really doesn’t have the grunt at all. It feels like 0-60 in a half a day after the old one and seems to use fuel like it’s going out of fashion, so maybe off to have it re-mapped. I’m pretty sure I haven’t got a binding brake anywhere.

codybrennan
    Free Member

If its the 130 PD engine, I have an interesting and informative VW technician training pdf, 50 or so pages, that goes into a lot of detail about the main engine ECU, its sensors, their functions, and the various actuators. Its actually (risks flame) a fairly simple engine, when you get down to it, thats light on sensors compared to a CR engine, has no DPF, and can run happily without an EGR.

I’ll find your email address and email it to you.

molgrips
    Free Member

based on your record with ECU’s, i’d ignore you as well….

**** ha ha.

I’m right though.

rickmeister

Agree with the stellar miles / no hassle… had the 1.9 tdi engine in an A3 130 sport tdi quattro (brilliant car when remapped), a Fabia VRs (also remapped) and now a Touran…

No dpf, no mass of sensors, just a boring ordinary cat.

Place I worked had the 130 Passats and they all had over 300k on them despite being driven by everyone…

hora
    Free Member

What year(s) was the ‘good’ 1.9TDI engine?

molgrips
    Free Member

I think it’s good all the way. It was replaced by 2.0 and 1.6 afaik, not sure though. In Passats, they brought the 2.0 in with the B6 Passat in 2005, although to be honest as long as it’s had the oil pump and innjector recalls, it should be pretty good too. No DPF on the early ones.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Hora- any of the 4 cylinder pre common-rail ones should be decent, but there seems to be agreement that the PD (“Pumpe Duse”) ones are the ones to have.

I’ve had cars with this engine and would agree- its fairly simple, pretty economical, good power output, and all its foibles are well-known and usually not that dear to fix.

I think the PDs kicked in about 2000 or so.

codybrennan
    Free Member

(Based on my thread a couple of weeks back, where I may or may not have been getting scammed after selling a Golf with the new 1.6TDI CR engine, I’d love something with a PD engine if they still made them…)

rickmeister

Think the 1.9 went out on plates 02 and 03 as my A3 was a runout before the 2.0 facelifted car came in.

This engine did a load of applicationds from static power source and marine as well as car…

Its all on Wiki but its a long read.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Volkswagen_Group_diesel_engines

molgrips
    Free Member

Think the 1.9 went out on plates 02 and 03 as my A3 was a runout before the 2.0 facelifted car came in

Maybe in Audi land. The VAG brands run different engine lines at different times. I test drove a 57 plate Seat Altea which had a 2.0 TDI but with the old style injectors ie not piezo controlled. It was very obvious from the drive.

flicker
    Free Member

Ignore long life service intervals on anything with a turbo, use a decent semi synthetic and change oil and filter every 6000 miles or so.

I looked at the Passats the last time I was buying a car (2005 😯 ). I think the 2004 ish model was the one to go for, reliability wise. I bought a 406 HDi estate instead, and still use it daily. Best car I’ve owned and cost no more than the usual service/wear items.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Flicker- PD all need fully-synthetic.

ononeorange

Well I’ve just bought a 1.9 TDi Audi and it’s a 2007 so they were still going as recently as then.

At just 7 years old probably the newest car I’ve ever had.

There are lots of horror stories around about the 2.0 TDi oil pump shaft breaking – so I avoided them.

Rickmeister – where did you get your re-map done?

Cougar

Ive got an 05 plate 130tdi as a company car. It is literally bombproof.

Do you work in Afghanistan?

flicker
    Free Member

codybrennan – Member

Flicker- PD all need fully-synthetic.

Do they? fair enough, drop the oil at half intervals still, your turbo will love you for it 😀

flicker
    Free Member

ononeorange – Member

Well I’ve just bought a 1.9 TDi Audi and it’s a 2007 so they were still going as recently as then.

At just 7 years old probably the newest car I’ve ever had.

There are lots of horror stories around about the 2.0 TDi oil pump shaft breaking – so I avoided them.

Rickmeister – where did you get your re-map done?

It doesn’t so much break as the hole in the pump wears out, the shaft spins as usual and the pump, well, doesn’t. Very poor design on the early 2.0l models, which has since been fixed.

molgrips
    Free Member

use a decent semi synthetic

😯

No – use oil that conforms to the VW spec – not just ANY old semi synth.

Re the oil pumps – it was a certain batch from a certain factory in a certain period that had the issue, not a recurring fault across the range. It was identified pretty early on and subjected to a recall for the affected cars. You’ve got zero chance of it happening to you now, cos all affected cars will either have died or been fixed.

simmy
    Free Member

The early 2.0 balance shaft problem is a killer. My mate bought a 55 plate Passat 2.0 tdi in 2011 and it lasted about 8 months before the oil pump shaft went and seized the engine.

It was an ex Leaseplan car and, if there was a recall, it was missed. It cost a couple of grand to fix and, at the time in 2012, the modified oil pump was on back order with no delivery date available.

My mate found a guy who did the marine engines and he did a nifty mod to the oil pump or something and it’s been fine since.

molgrips
    Free Member

Ouch.. moral is – check the recalls when you buy a car…

flicker
    Free Member

FFS 😀

I’ll rephrase my earlier statement to “use the manufacturers recommended oil” which I’d assume most would. Surprised an engine of that vintage would need fully synth, poor design I guess 😉

The point I was trying to make was to ignore the long life service intervals, they aren’t good for your turbo…. ……

singletrackmind

VW 505 01 or 505 02 fully synth for PD engines.
    2001 My Passats or Y reg for the B5.5 100bhp or 130 bhp variants. Were fitted all the way through the B5.5 and in the fisrt 2005 55plated B6 models.
    100Bhp models on got 5 speed box, optional 6 speed on the 130’s.

molgrips
    Free Member

Surprised an engine of that vintage would need fully synth, poor design I guess

No, the camshaft activated unit injector design requires extra lubrication qualities of the oil.

The point I was trying to make was to ignore the long life service intervals, they aren’t good for your turbo…. ……

Why? The manufacturer recommends it after all. Long life servicing uses a comination of engine revs and oil temperature to assess the load on the oil – the idea being that if you are doing lots of long journeys the oil doesn’t really need changing as often as if you are doing lots of short ones.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Lots of bad press out there on the vw forums both with pd engines and the more modern petrol and diesel ones
    About long life service causing issues.

For me I’m not taking the chance oil change evey year is easy to do
    So why not.
    Halfords sell oil that meets modern vw pd requirements so easy to get

jam-bo

Lots of bad press out there on the vw forums

I would guess that 99.9% of Volkswagen owners don’t frequent VW forums.

molgrips
    Free Member

Huh.. I was doing almost entirely motorway miles so thought long life would be ideal. Doing more than 10k miles a year too!

orangeboy
    Free Member

Tbh I’d not looked into it until it came up as a possible
    Issue with 3.2 petrols and cam chain stretching.

But then we should not believe all things on forums
    Just for me I will stick to yearly. It’s cost me a about 80
    For all the filters and branded oil to vw 507 spec for pd
    Engines

molgrips
    Free Member

I mainly went to long life because at 10k intervals I’d have been servicing every six months. Annoying.

stumpy01

With regard to service interval, I would do whatever you are comfortable with.

Service interval on my Ibiza is 10k miles, but I’ve drawn it out to 15k miles as most of my journeys are dual carriageway/motorway cruising.
    Done that from 140k or so, perhaps before, and it doesn’t seem to have affected anything in the 90k miles since.

grim168
    Free Member

Picking up a 55 plate b6 1.9 tdi on thursday. Not had an estate for a while. It’s got 118,000 miles with full service and just had belts, water pump clutch and flywheel. At 105 bhp I might just get it remapped.

petrieboy

1.9tdi 130 in a 2002 a A4 here. 220000 on original clutch, flywheel, exhaust etc. No dpf. I had it on long life servicing up to 160k and now do it every 10k. It used to use 1/2 litre of oil in 20k but now its on 10k it never needs topping up. Other than servicing the only problems have been a failed air con compressor (I got the garage to leave the belt off and I put up with a hot car in august) and it has a bit of an appetite for offside headlight bulbs which are a ballache to replace and it chews the inside edge of tyres. 50mpg easy, more if I’m careful. Easily fast enough. Engine is a bit noisey by modern standards but it doesn’t smoke and sounds quite nice from the cabin if your pushing on. Hard to imagine a cheaper car to run over its life.

stumpy01

petrieboy – Member
    1.9tdi 130 in a 2002 a A4 here. 220000 on original clutch, flywheel, exhaust etc. No dpf. I had it on long life servicing up to 160k and now do it every 10k. It used to use 1/2 litre of oil in 20k but now its on 10k it never needs topping up. Other than servicing the only problems have been a failed air con compressor (I got the garage to leave the belt off and I put up with a hot car in august) and it has a bit of an appetite for offside headlight bulbs which are a ballache to replace

That reads just like my experience with my Ibiza. Good to know there’s someone else with the 130 engine still on it’s original bits. No one believes that mine is on original clutch and exhaust.
    Mine doesn’t need topping up between services though – although I should probably start doing more regular dip stick checking, than I currently do.
    My air con compressor went at around 140k miles. The local independent I use for all servicing also does air-con stuff so replaced it for £500 fitted. At the time I was doing 32k miles/yr so figured £500 was a small price to pay for the comfort, given the hours I was sat in the car.
    Mine used to blow headlight bulbs like nobody’s business, but last time one went I swapped to Halfords heavy duty ones (dark green blister pack) and they are lasting a lot better (touch wood!). Perhaps give them a try.

Albanach
    Free Member

03 Audi A4 1.9tdi here on 150,000 miles only things that have gone have been wiper motors on front and rear. Servicing every 10k or so but like others I’m mainly driving on main roads at 80-100kph to work.
    Offside headlight bulbs used to go all the time but noticed that the plastic clamp between the headlight cluster and the chassis had sheared so the light was vibrating a lot – common enough apparently and got replacement clamp things off eBay and been perfect since.

codybrennan
    Free Member

What are the long-term owners of these PD engines doing for cambelt changes? I’m seeing mixed stuff on the web- is it every 4 years?

rickmeister

Ononeorange, remaps..

I have had three maps done on different VAG cars. Al have been excellent, done bigish milages and never missed a beat. Each forum seems to have its favorites though each supplier will do the Vag group.

A3 1.9 130 Sport Quattro. Superchips map. 130 bhp to 170 ish and a good torque increase. 120k miles done by me. I wish I had never sold this car..

Fabia 1.9 Tdi Vrs. Shark remap (Skoda forum favorite) from a local to Edinburgh agent. Same engine as above, same gains. 90Kmiles

T5 175 SWB Kombi. Pendle Performance (T5 forum favorites)in Barnoswaldwick (where Hope are). 175 to 220 bhp and a great torque gain. Included a dpf delete, 1st in country for this. What a van.. loved this too

I always mapped them early, inside 5k miles so probably not really run in. All never failed, no slipping clutches or big oil consumption. Very reliable and all on long life variable oil changes and all serviced by independents from new, never VW.

Now driving a 2006 105bhp Touran, in grey. It feels like my life has ended but it does have the non dpf, simple cat only and not festooned with sensors, 1.9tdi. Its just gone through 170 kilometers.. but its duller than a dull thing that has some extra dullness added to make it dull. Plus, it feels like it wil be dull for a long time.

But, they do sell 175 bhp 4motion VW Caddy Cross in Viper Green here…

molgrips
    Free Member

Main dealer told me every 4 years or 60k miles. £350.

However – it seems to vary a lot year on year. Some models are 40k some are 80k. I’d contact a dealer if I were you.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 92 total)

The topic ‘Any reason why I shouldnt buy a 160000 mile VW Passat 1.9Tdi S 130?’ is closed to new replies.