Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Any push on grips better than renthal ultra tacky?
  • seb84

Like the title says are there any push on grips better than renthal ultra tacky. Mine are a bit worn and I thought I’d ask before replacing like for like.

tall_martin

I like chromag wax.

Softer than the lock on grips I was using previously.

Longer than the grips I was using previously.

They last me a couple of years, I don’t ride as much as some.

I’ve never tried renthal push on.

seb84

Do you ride with gloves? I almost never do which I should have mentioned.

oldfart

I like Ritchey foam grips myself.

dc1988

Depends what you’re looking for, I quite like ESI Chunky for comfort but they’re thicker than the Renthal and not as durable.

lewzz10
    Free Member

I prefer Renthal Kevlar but the ultra tacky are very nice gloveless.

scruff
    Free Member

I’m using ODI Rogue, loads more give than the lockon version.

seb84

I’m looking for all weather grip and comfort without gloves. Not to bothered about durability.
    Chromag wax look good.

paulneenan76
    Free Member

I’ve only used DMR Deaghgrips soft for the last 2 years and are some of the best I’ve used.

dc1988

The Deathgrips are nice but I prefer the ultra tacky. My only issue with push one are that they get messed up on uplift trailers that have straps on the bars

seb84

Do you wire them on? I find that keeps them pretty good and stops stuff messing them up too much.

dc1988

I had a go at wiring them on but I did them as tight as I dared do before I’d cheese wire them and they still moved from uplift straps

Northwind

ESI Racer’s Edge are probably my favourites but they do fall apart quite easily. So I’ve switched to ODI Vapor whenever I’ve needed new grips, they’re 9/10ths as nice in the hand but way way tougher. Love ’em.

donncha

Another vote for ESI Chunky.
    Tried ODI Float but didn’t find them near as comfortable or as long lasting.

neverbeentomoab
    Free Member

Odi longnecks are pretty good like old school mushroom bmx grips. Comfy and grippy.

pitduck
    Free Member

Ourys, nothing else is even near as good…

bigblackshed

pit-duck

Ourys, nothing else is even near as good

He’s right you know.

PrinceJohn
    Free Member

ODI longnecks for the win everytime.

endomick
    Free Member

DMR sect have been my favourite for years, but Tredz now have the Oury V2 in, which were as available as unicorn sht with hens teeth in just a short while ago, I even contacted lizard skins a few months ago and they said not available in uk, so nice one Tredz.

Littleman
    Free Member

If I had a mechanic looking after my bike full time then renthal ultra tacky push ons every time. They are by far the comfiest, nicest grips I’ve ever had (for me, obvs, grips being a very personal thing of course).

Unfortunately I couldn’t get them to stop creeping inwards from the ends of the bars. No ‘throttle’ syndrome, but they did move inwards. It was annoying for me as I hold the bars right at the ends of the bars (regardless of the bar width). The worst culprit was uplift days, as already mentioned above, despite using renthal grip glue to fit them and wiring them 3 wires per grip as tight as I dare.

Now on dmr deathgrip soft-slim, which aren’t quite as nice but it’s so much easier never having to think about my grips anymore.

Just my 2p.

tall_martin

@seb84

I almost always ride with gloves. I lost a glove in the car the other day and did a 15 mile ride with one glove. It was fine.

I had fabric lock on grips on another bike, mostly because they looked like they had the same pattern as the chromag wax. They were uncomfortable without gloves after 1min.

I use super glue and wire on the chromag wax. After they have been swaped on and off a few times they spin in the wet.

seb84

What are mushroom style grips eg wax or longnecks like without gloves?

@littleman
    are you wiring them on with safety wire pliers? My grips have been rock solid since I started using them. Although to be fair I dont use uplift ever.

Littleman
    Free Member

Seb84 – yes. They were pretty solid until I went on uplift days, even with shitty Welsh weather. It’s the way the straps tighten around the grip and pull at them. And I love uplift days so it became too much of a pain in the arse after a while. Shame, as they are still way ahead for me in terms of comfort. I’m using them now cut up on the chainstay as a way of silencing the chain, looks ‘homemade’, but works a treat for that!

continuity
    Free Member

I just don’t know why you wouldn’t use ESI’s.

The absorption is better, the grip is better, and they don’t move.

Yes, they aren’t amazingly robust, but no comfortable grip is – but they aren’t that expensive either.

seb84

I was under the impression esi were really slippy without gloves in the wet. Is that not the case?

chamley
    Free Member

Yep I tried ESI chunkys and managed one ride without gloves on before giving up on them, no grip at all once you get sweaty palms.
    Currently running sticky renthals and they are obviously the benchmark! However I find them slightly too thin so when theyre done I’ll be trying either a pair of sensus swayzes or odi long necks, both seem to be the other grips people get on with gloveless.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Yep, also found any of the silicone/foam based grips are useless if you ride gloveless.

The ultra tacky Renthals are good, but they wear at a frightening rate, as others have alluded to, they also fall apart fron crashes, uplift straps, etc, so don’t last long at all.

Deathgrips have a good feel, but they have a habit of snapping the plastic sleeve internally & move about. If you like a softer (yet still long lasting, which is weird) version of Deathgrips, I am total convert to the Deity Knuckledusters. They are great if you ride gloveless, soft, grippy & seem to last really well.

They get the thumbs up form me 🙂

addy6402

I’m starting to replace my lock ons with ODI Longnecks. I ride with gloves but they feel good without, a nice old school feel.

continuity
    Free Member

I sort of don’t know why you’d really ride gloveless? Have you never had to pick chunks of gravel out of your palms for days? WC XC pros will ride with gloves on at the hottest events of the year like the absa cape epic?

Sort of feels like someone asking ‘What clipless pedals for me to ride on in ballet dancing shoes’.

Yak

How about the push on kevlars? I have the lock-ons and they feel good, so can only imagine the push-ons will feel better.
    ESIs are very comfy with gloves, but fall apart if you go anywhere near a tree. Just not worth it unless you never hit a tree.

seb84

I stopped riding with gloves last summer and I’ve tried gloves again and again and I just hate wearing them. It feels really disconnected to me. I do sometimes scrape my hands up but its rare enough im not worried about it.

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

I am running the wolf fat paw cams. Coming (most recently) from death grips, as I have dupuytren’s contractures coming through 🙁

Much better for me for that reason, been impressed, but dont think they will last long on an uplift day 🙁

My muck-about-HT has the same bars as my main bike, so, almost counter intuitively, I plan on swapping the bars over (to save messing about swapping grips) for uplift days as that doesn’t get used for as long a periods and has some ODI lock on’s.
    Wont help the hands from uplift hammering, but wont get ruined on the first lift.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Any push on grips better than renthal ultra tacky?’ is closed to new replies.