Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Any protips to help make a bike fit perfectly?
  • Malvern Rider
    Free Member

My (used) 17.5” Longitude is currently configured with a layback post and a 110mm 6deg stem (maxed out on spacers) and flat, 610mm bars with stubby bar-ends

I’m a T-rex in the arm department, but average length in the legs and trunk (I think)

Now this seatpost/stem setup works well with my touring bars (I use On One Geoff loops) as they are gigantic with back-sweep all the way to my knees, but for general riding I’m fairly convinced that I want straight bars and bar-ends. I want it to be neutral for MTB and a bit stretched out on road sections and the many typical long (or short and brutal) climbs here in Western Shires/Marches (bar-ends help here). As is, it’s difficult to unweight the front/pop a wheelie but it tracks perfectly on road and when riding no-handed.

I’m finding on long easy sections or roads that I almost involuntarily sit up a little higher and just touch the grips with fingertips to get a sweet-spot, so thinking swapping to a 70mm/80mm? stem with 10deg rise might be the answer?

To my eternal shame I just realised that I haven’t been measured up for a bike since 15yrs old (first proper bike), I usually just buy something in the very close ballpark (around 18” MTB) and then ride, maybe swapping a stem and/or bars and adjusting seat fore or aft.

Have decided the Longitude is ace (if a bit hefty/reassuringly strong like me 😐) but a keeper/doitall for foreseeable.

So, where to begin to get it set up just so? Looking forward to measuring it all up, so thanks in advance for any advice.

scotroutes

How tall are you?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Just about shy of 5’ 10”

31.5” inside

scotroutes

OK, having “been there/done that” I’m just going to suggest you need a bigger frame 🙂  I struggled along with long stem/layback post on a bike for a while and eventually gave in and admitted it was just too small.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Thanks for the response scotroutes, appreciated. Not sure about it being too small though, as it feels too stretched-out? I have tried a (L)MK1 Longitude for a test ride, it was OK, very roomy and sit-uppy on the road, not really enough standover for off-road. That was with a very short stem and swept (Genesis Alt) bars.

As I say with my (M) fitted with loop bars it (reach) is not a problem (even with this layback post) – but with flat bars/110 stem it is. So was thinking a shorter/higher stem and inline post? But wondered what actual measurements/units I should be looking at ie reach, ETT etc, all that technical biznatch! And I don’t want to mess up the neutral handling.

I did the old elbow ———> index fingertip/tip of saddle ———->stem and my fingertip is bang on centre stem-cap

If I do the same with my (22.5”)retro road-bike the fingertip sits 10-15mm beyond centre.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Just done a rough and ready bit of measuring of my 18″ frame Voodoo Wazoo fatbike in the garage after feeding my non-giant fish…

Stack ~565mm
    Reach ~420mm

I’m 5’10 with ~32.5″ cycling inseam, trouser inseam ~30″.

Bike came with 80mm +7 degree stem, I’m using 110mm -8 degree. Original alloy 720mm(?) bars replaced with 747mm Knuckleball. Original alloy fork replaced with Fatty Carbon fork, can’t remember if that changed axle to crown, but I’m pretty sure the carbon fork has a longer steerer and I have just a 10mm spacer above stem (so 30mm under IIRC). The seatpost has 20mm setback IIRC, ~90cm from pedal top to saddle top when crank at bottom dead centre.

Road bike has 388/570mm reach/stack, 20mm spacer under 110 -6 degree stem, ~130mm of extra reach from bar top to extended hood position from BR505 brifters.

stevious

Hello, I can’t vouch for this other than Lee McCormack is well known for being a good mountain bike riding guy:

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/lee-mccormacks-guide-to-perfect-bike-set-up.html

Probably worth a look for ideas, as he seems to have thought about it a lot.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

^^ thnks

Update – Found an 80mm 7deg stem and an inline seatpost in parts bin so fitted and tested around the block. Massive improvement (saddle fully adjusted fwd)

Am thinking that a 10 deg 70mm or 80mm stem could be close to perfect, maybe with slightly longer bar-ends to get some stretch on fire-road and tarmac sections.

Will also run those figures tomorrow though and see how it looks. I might have it all wrong and just be repeating old mistakes ?

dreednya

This will do it if you have the time.

spooky_b329

I think ‘they’ say you should only adjust the saddle fore/aft position in relation to pedals, not to change the reach.

Have you tried the string over knee to pedal method to set saddle position? I find it difficult by myself as if the heel is not level it seems to make a difference so you need a helper.

Set the saddle (plenty of guides online) them leave alone and play with stem length.

iainc

Swop it for a medium Vagabond that fits perfectly? … sorry 😀

iainc

hols2
    Free Member

Not sure about it being too small though, as it feels too stretched-out?

That’s because you have a ridiculously long stem on it by modern standards.

I did the old elbow ———> index fingertip/tip of saddle ———->stem and my fingertip is bang on centre stem-cap

That tells you nothing useful. Different stems are different lengths, bars have different width and sweep, saddles are profiled differently, different riders have different personal preferences, etc.

I think ‘they’ say you should only adjust the saddle fore/aft position in relation to pedals, not to change the reach.

Adjust the bike in whatever way makes it suit your personal preferences.

Have you tried the string over knee to pedal method to set saddle position?

That’s nonsense too. Set the saddle to wherever is comfortable for you and the riding you do.

spooky_b329

Is it nonsense or a good starting point?//

hols2
    Free Member

Is it nonsense or a good starting point?//

Nonsense.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

&&£#@£!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Any protips to help make a bike fit perfectly?’ is closed to new replies.