Any professional highway engineers on here?

Home Forum Chat Forum Any professional highway engineers on here?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Any professional highway engineers on here?
  • project

lots of stupid and dangerous road designs out there all designed by the people who write those design guides.

Premier Icon bails
    Subscriber

Are you on twitter? Is it bike related? If so, contact this guy: https://twitter.com/rantyhighwayman

Premier Icon aracer
    Subscriber

Not trying to be all coy and dripfeed, but it’s not at all related to bikes and all about interpretation of guidelines – I really need direct input from somebody who can look at the particular situation. To be honest a lawyer may be better than a highways design engineer, but it seems its the highways engineers who get to speak with authority on this – I’m looking to dispute the opinion of one.

Premier Icon crispo
    Subscriber

I’m a grad civil engineer currently working on a new build road scheme.

I’m not a local authority engineer but we are working with the council and I know where to find most of the design specs if its related to that. I will try and help if I can!

Premier Icon honeybadgerx
    Subscriber

How much of an opinion are you wanting? If you’re wanting a full and professional one to enter a formal dispute then realistically you’re going to have approach an engineering consultancy with a highways department and get some advice from them.

EDIT: This will cost you money.

Premier Icon schnor
    Subscriber

Definitely what honeybadgerx said, if you’re thinking about entering into a dispute against your Highways Department (or even after a second opinion), then an engineering consultancy / chartered surveyor – depending on what exactly the problem is – should 100% be your next step.

And yes, it could be expensive, but you get what you pay for. Most of these guys are very good indeed (and more qualified than entire council departments, and that’s speaking as a council employee)

Premier Icon aracer
    Subscriber

Just after somebody taking a look and giving a simple opinion – not after something formal at this stage, just want to know what sort of case we have. crispo ygm.

It’s reassuring to hear about the competence of consultancies – though my experience of our highways department is competence is something they’re sadly lacking in so being more competent wouldn’t be hard (no insult intended to any competent council employees). Hopefully the council at the next layer down will be paying, as they’ve now formally tabled a reason for refusal which disagrees with the highways engineer and will presumably be looking for somebody to support that opinion at appeal. Though given I’ve provided much of the research to get us this far I thought I might as well see if I could get the opinion of somebody more qualified than me.

project

any clues as to what theyre designed/building, our local council seem to hate roundabouts and every updated junction now has to have traffic lights and lots of traffic jams where none existed before.

Premier Icon aracer
    Subscriber

Surely there must be – anybody able to provide me with some advice on whether something complies with the local highway design guide?

rs

you could try looking here if you haven’t already http://www.dft.gov.uk/ha/standards/dmrb/

Premier Icon aracer
    Subscriber

It’s about road widths required to access housing developments – county highways design guide has criteria for this, but it’s an issue of interpretation of the rules.

Premier Icon honeybadgerx
    Subscriber

I think you’re best giving a consultancy a call, there’s a list here as a starter for ten, though others are available:

NCE Consultants File

Give one a call, explain your situation and see if they would be willing to help at all, probably on a time charged basis.

rs

aracer, care to tell us what the road widths are and what your problem with them is?

Premier Icon stimpy
    Subscriber

I’m a planning barrister. Can I help?

http://planningblog.org/

keppoch

I’d suggest that if any of the content of pjm84’s link relates to the type of query or dispute you have you should be seeking someone more like a transport engineer or someone working in development planning rather than a highways engineer.

A subtle difference perhaps but will tend to relate to their experience and nature of the work they are involved in.

Premier Icon aracer
    Subscriber

Very likely, stimpy as it’s probably going to come down to the lawyers (it is in the end all about legal interpretation rather than anything only a highways engineer would know).

Could you drop me a line at: aracer AT mail DOT com

Thanks for the clarification, keppoch – the chap who’s opinion I’m disputing calls himself a development control engineer, working in the highways department, and is AMICE. Wasn’t sure what better description to use. Oh, and I’ve read through a lot of MfS – it’s silent on this issue.

Premier Icon stimpy
    Subscriber

aracer YGM.

sleepless

http://www.dft.gov.uk/ha/standards/mchw/vol1/

I have knowledge of the adoption of highway by local authority (LA). such roads design is the interpretation of the documents found in the link above, by the developer’s design engineers.
    the local authority are supposed to be SQEP (suitably qualified and experienced persons)to peer review the design. my current dealings with LAs is really that of them purely checking the developer is providing proof (documents, drawings and calculation)of how their proposed design meets the relevant highway standard. Similar to how Building Regs are approved (but that is another story).
    such proof used to be ‘design reviewed’ but the cost of owning that responsibility is always high. hence the change of tack by LAs to simply agree that the proof is present in a ‘peer review’. the developer therefore is signing the responsibility that the standards are met.
    when the section 38 is finally completed, the money bond has usually been reduced to a few pence, as roads are a typical area where developers can save cash. this explains why some estate roads are left unsurfaced for years whilst the developers sell to new developers once they sell enough houses, what ever the phase of completion, to recoup there investments.

So the focus of a claim could be focussed on the SQEPness of the LA highways team. you could look at the highway agency design guides and try and see how the developer interpreted them, but it is the SQEP of the LA which would be your stumbling block. the y are clever enough to make sure this area of contention is sufficiently covered by the senior engineers even if the section 38 is managed by technicians of less SQEP ability.
    good luck.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Any professional highway engineers on here?’ is closed to new replies.