Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Any point in 27.5+ for Full suss?
  • FOG

All the 27.5+ bikes I have seen in the metal have been Ht. is there any point in moving to this in a 29er FS? I have fairly narrow rims at the moment which still manage 2.25 tyres ok, so what real world advantage to be gained?

Sam

Traction, it’s all about the traction

andylaightscat
    Free Member

I’ve ridden one in the alps and for me it was a definite lack of talent compensator and for the others that rode it who didn’t lack talent it was v.good. As Sam says just lots of grip.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jimjam
    Free Member

Any point in 27.5+ for Full suss?

boxelder

Not put my chubby wheels on the FS yet, but will try it. I like to feel what’s going on down there (if you know what I mean) and think chubby wheels + suspension will lose too much ‘feel’. Little doubt it will be hooligan fun though.

Any point in 27.5+

None whatsoever. If you have cash to burn, just burn it, it’s warmer.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

whats the differentce in diameter between a big 27.5+ (3.25?) and a 4.0 fat tyre? Pondering if it would work in the back of a fat bike on smoother/harder trails.

boxelder

Wasn’t 29+ developed for slimming fat bikes?

wrecker
    Free Member

Wasn’t 650b+ developed for peoples to pop on their 29ers?
    It then seems to have developed into a thing the industry could make extra money out of. Used as the rationale for boost/more obsolescence so the industry could make more money.

thepodge
    Free Member

not all 29ers are created equal. it will work in some but not in others hence specific 650b+ frames

the bike industry is a business, businesses make money.

wrecker
    Free Member

the bike industry is a business, businesses make money.

There is making money, then there is what we have seen in the last few years. They are taking the piss.

nemesis
    Free Member

No, I think being able to fit them in 29ers is a side effect that the industry probably didn’t intend.

Having ridden b+ most of the summer, it gives you some of the advantages of proper fat bike tyres without the main downside of massive weight and additional drag. For me, it seems like a fairly clear improvement unless maybe you’re a weight weenie and/or XC racer.

So to the OP, it depends really. As Sam said, you get loads of grip which is quite useful at times 🙂 Whether it works to its best with FS too is something I can’t answer for certain but I’d expect that for some people it’ll work well just possibly less of a benefit compared to sticking them on a rigid bike. Maybe 😉

GregMay
    Free Member

There is making money, then there is what we have seen in the last few years. They are taking the piss.

You realise you don’t actually have to buy anything..right?

FWIW, I tried a 650b+ setup on my Spearfish, made it quite a different bike. Oodles of grip, nicer through really rough stuff, just a tad lower in the BB than normal. I quite liked it.

thepodge
    Free Member

No one gave you any promises when you bought your bike

gypsumfantastic
    Free Member

I can’t be the only one who is warming to the idea of being able to fit three different tyres into the same frame?

nemesis
    Free Member

Three?

I was really liking the idea of being able to use both 29er and b+ but the more I’ve used b+, the more I’m thinking I may just dump the 29er wheels (so long as I can get some b+ tyres that are good in mud).

gypsumfantastic
    Free Member

Three?

26 x 4
    27.5 x 3.25
    29 x 2.35

Given the right hub you can fit them all in one frame.

nemesis
    Free Member

Yes, I suppose potentially though wouldn’t that be a fat frame/fork to allow 4″ tyres which means wide BB, wide hubs and other compromises that you get on fat bikes?

The beauty of b+/29er is that they both fit fairly standard frames.

gypsumfantastic
    Free Member

Aye I suppose.

Aside from weight and limited kit choice I don’t see that many compromises with a wider frame.

dreednya

Not sure there is with the new generation geometry 29er FS that are out IMO. Slackened head angles and short chain stays make for fun bikes and the larger wheel size should roll over big holes in rock gardens better than 27.5

nemesis
    Free Member

Aside from weight and limited kit choice I don’t see that many compromises with a wider frame.

You just listed them 🙂 And that standard 29er wheels won’t fit.

wrecker
    Free Member

No one gave you any promises when you bought your bike

Ah the charming voice of the industry. I recognize it well.

pickle
    Free Member

Nope but then i’m old and still ride on 26″…….I’m going to burn in hell i know it

thepodge
    Free Member

If I’m the voice of the industry can I also have some of the millions the industry is making?

chestrockwell

Is it just me that doesn’t have any lack of grip or traction with standard 29 wheels on 2.3’s

Sam

No, I think being able to fit them in 29ers is a side effect that the industry probably didn’t intend.

I think you’ll find that was very much the original idea.

Is it just me that doesn’t have any lack of grip or traction with standard 29 wheels on 2.3’s

Try them and see.

core

I find ‘big’ 2.3″ tyres a bit draggy at times, the thought of these huge things does not inspire me at all.

Stoner
    Free Member

Coincidentally I’ve just built up my birthday present to myself and put my 650b+ wheels in for a first build.

The wheels go nicely in my 29er. But arguably are a bit small in the gryphon so I might look at getting some large 29er tyres or even 29+

bigblackshed

The reason your plus wheels look small Stoner is because they’re in the worlds biggest gate of a frame. 😉

IMO I can’t see the point in FS 650+. The extra boing from semi fat tyres works in a hard tail. A good chunk of the grip in a FS comes from the frame design in being able to keep a decent amount of tyre on the ground. All it will do to a FS is create a draggy, but sanitised ride, lacking in trail feedback.

thepodge
    Free Member

Funny how these threads end up with the same comments…

People who haven’t tried them think they’ll be heavy and slow but people who have tried them are setting new personal best times up and down hill.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Any point in 27.5+ for Full suss?’ is closed to new replies.