Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Any Plumbers about?
  • JohnJohn
    Free Member

I’m trying to help out a neighbour and I’m stumped!

The old lady from down the road knocked on the door earlier and says she has broken the hot water tap on her bath and can’t turn it off. “Simple” I thought, whip the tap body out, new washer or cartridge and Bobs your uncle. Wrong. I got the body out easily enough but now I have this!

Does anyone have any Idea who made these and if these are available (I’ve not been able to find anything)

Bear
    Free Member

Was the body plastic too?

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Can you replace it with one of these?

https://www.diy.com/departments/brass-tap-gland-with-rubber-seal-threaded-collar-thread-1/2-dia-8mm-set-of-2/913792_BQ.prd

scrap that idea, the thread pitch looks quite different.

JohnJohn
    Free Member

The tap is brass/chrome

Standard 3/4 tap body is nowhere near big enough, the thread on this is around 29mm

goldfish24

Get yourself down to your local plumbers merchant, tap in hand.

DT78
    Free Member

Be quicker to buy a new tap….I tried to replace internals took me ages , 3 wrong purchases ended up with a new tap

JohnJohn
    Free Member

Thats my plan for the morning, just would have been good to know what it is Im after before I got there.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Not a clue ! But very decent of you to be going the extra mile to help her out !

supremebean
    Free Member

Is the valve actually damaged? Looks like it just needs a new washer to me. The washer should come up to the edge of the washer seating disc (called a jumper). If the spindle just turns and the jumper doesn’t move up and down easily, it will be because the washer has worn away and the jumper has come out of its thread inside the body. It may also need a bit of a clean up and grease on the spindle and washers inside the body. Just remove the circlip and push the spindle through the body to gain access. You will need 3/4 tap washers and silicone grease (not the spray type).

Rockhopper
    Free Member

It looks like the splines have stripped off the shaft so the tap just spins.

matt_outandabout

Personally I would just go new taps – a lot simpler and likely same cost. Plus you won’t be back in 6mths when it goes again…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Any Plumbers about?’ is closed to new replies.