Any planning experts in? Not sure whether to take no for an answer…

Home Forum Chat Forum Any planning experts in? Not sure whether to take no for an answer…

Viewing 20 posts - 46 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • Any planning experts in? Not sure whether to take no for an answer…
  • buenfoxa

I’m a chartered town planner working for a planning consultancy and frequently deal these enquiries.

Drop me a line via my email address (in profile) and I could give you a heads-up if you would like?

dbcooper

Well I think you misunderstand my post entirely. Note I said this:

I think they like to try and talk/intimidate you out of doing it when maybe you might well be within the rules, its just they don’t like the idea..
    We used an architect and planning consultant, spent about £700 in total. Our planning consultant is ex council planning so knew all the tricks.

Hence the tricks I was referring to, were knowing what the sneaky chaps in planning would do to try and stop you from doing what planning law says you are legally allowed to do. In my case the planners tried to intimidate my architects into backing down, but they, and our planning advisor, know what is legally permissable and had designed the plans to be legally permissable. So we did not budge and in the end the planning was approved without any change.

Secondly I am entirely unconvinced that a tasteful extension next door will devalue your home. Any verifiable evidence? I am also unconvinced that it is right and fair that you should be able to prevent someone from making alteration to make their home better, because of some unfounded view that it will de-value your home. The value of a home is in what it is like to live in. Which applies equally to both parties.

29erKeith

If you’ve got the funds and the tenacity to fight and fight you can get what you want.

national park here with “strict” rules on extensions and redevelopments, designed to stop rich people coming in a turning every building into a mansions therefore protecting housing for normal folk from the area, good idea with good intentions.

A few years back a guy bought a 2/3 bed bungalow with a bit of land, it’s now valued at about £2,000,000, he fought and fought and fought, threw money and lawyers at the problem and the national park\council gave up because it couldn’t afford to fight him any more.

if that’s not you then sound like it’s unlikely imho

dannyh

Secondly I am entirely unconvinced that a tasteful extension next door will devalue your home. Any verifiable evidence? I am also unconvinced that it is right and fair that you should be able to prevent someone from making alteration to make their home better, because of some unfounded view that it will de-value your home. The value of a home is in what it is like to live in. Which applies equally to both parties.

Try selling your house when someone next door is doing this kind of work and you will see it devalue in front of your eyes.

It doesn’t necessarily have to be something that offends the current householder – if potential buyers are put off or emboldened to haggle harder then the effect will be immediate, and quantifiable. To pretend that it is otherwise is just wishful thinking I’m afraid.

dannyh

And anyway, you would say that, wouldn’t you – as you are in the ‘pro’ camp………………….

trail_rat

equally i could park an old car in my drive and have the same effect danny H

dbcooper

yeah its total bunkum. You are being paranoid, why would next door having work done put off a buyer? Again where is your evidence?

b r

It doesn’t necessarily have to be something that offends the current householder – if potential buyers are put off or emboldened to haggle harder then the effect will be immediate, and quantifiable. To pretend that it is otherwise is just wishful thinking I’m afraid.

When we lived in Germany I remember chatting to someone about planning and the like, the key thing there was permission and building regs; what it looked like was pretty irrelevant – as they say, the owner has to live there, look at it, and ‘account’ for their investment. And taste is an individual thing.

The one time we went for planning that was refused, we’d already got all our neighbours on board, but the councils’ reason was along the lines of ‘everyone will do that’, so no. Modern estate ‘L’ shaped house, and filling in the ‘L’ with an extra bedroom and bigger kitchen.

dannyh

yeah its total bunkum. You are being paranoid, why would next door having work done put off a buyer? Again where is your evidence?

You know **** all about my situation, mate, so save the mindless platitudes for the person you are going to screw over next.

b r

You know **** all about my situation, mate, so save the mindless platitudes for the person you are going to screw over next.

and people wonder why they don’t allow citizens to vote on specific decisions…, see above 🙄

trail_rat

is it the extension thats causing the devaluation or the neighbour dispute thats causing it?

dannyh

Yeah, I know, but my situation is getting to me.

You know what, if it all goes through ok (and I get what I want), then I will be fine. No one will have been ‘hurt’ in the process because I can say, hand on heart, that I have (stupidly probably) played with a straight bat all the way through. Other parties have not, they have been snide, sneaky and outright dishonest.

But that is what it is all about, isn’t it? Getting your own way. At least I will be able to know that I haven’t employed any sly tactics, brinkmanship or lied outright to anyone.

dannyh

is it the extension thats causing the devaluation or the neighbour dispute thats causing it?

I’d rather not discuss the details on here right now as things are delicately balanced. We should know in the next 2-3 working days whether everything is going to pan out for us or not. If it doesn’t I will be left with a devastated missus and two young kids who were mega excited about the move very disappointed. As well as (most likely) having to live next door to the people who have screwed things up for us.

I apologise for being aggro above. My initial point was just to try to emphasise that other people are often affected when people get the “yay, we’ve got some cash, let’s extend” bug. But I let myself down by being a snappy bastard.

When we know which way the pieces have fallen I can give you chapter and verse if you like, but you can take my word for it that whatever the outcome I am the one who has behaved honestly. It is this feeling that I am being stupid and naive by being straight with people that is really, really getting to me.

trail_rat

tbh i can sympathise with you in a way – they have planning applications lodged for 9 new houses opposite me ….

ive adopted a live and let live attitude to it as i knew they were going in before i moved in ….. how ever – me and 7 of my neighbours own the communual septic tank they planned to tap into…. without that they have to bring in mains sewers from about 4 miles to meet planning requirements.

anyway – im the first to admit id hate to live opposite me and look at my garden – i make rednecks look good !

And the first complaint i get from my new neighbours about it will result in loud pipes saving lives.

dannyh

Circumstances have just conspired against us. We have what is (hopefully) the last house we will ever have to buy tantalisingly within reach. It is practically the only house I have seen in the last six months that satisfies what I want, what my wife wants, but most importantly what we want for the kids.

We have frantically overpaid our mortagage for years, got the capital down at the expense of having flash ‘stuff’ and got ourselves into a position where we can comfortably afford our ‘ideal’ house.

Now it seems that a new arrival next door can do what the hell they like, bugger up our sale, and put us back to square one. We have been living out of boxes (ready to move) for a fortnight now, and will have to do so for another week at least. It is my daughter’s birthday on Saturday and we just want all this resolved so that we can enjoy it without anything hanging over us.

But it is not going to be like that, because we are stupid. We have shown goodwill. We have put our buyers in direct contact with our new ‘neighbour’ and that conversation seemed to have gone well. But I am still not 100% sure it is going to pan out for us. It is getting us down. No matter how NIMBY this sounds, we were here first, we didn’t ask for any of this, and frankly I don’t think we deserve it. If it goes wrong I will have a lingering sense of injustice and I honestly don’t know how I will be able to be civil with them. I am not a two-faced person, so I can’t act (even if I wanted to).

So there it is. At least my conscience is clear, we have not mislead, lied or conveniently forgotten to mention anything to anyone. The whole process has now got to the point where if it does collapse at the last minute, there will be ill-feeling all round. Apart from the people who will have caused it, who will get exactly what they want. As far as I am concerned, that is not right.

Premier Icon tomaso
    Subscriber

Didn’t they ban “garden grabbing” ?

mark90

Hope it works out for you danny. However a view from another side…. Our old neighbours strongly objected to our extension plans, after originally saying to our face that they had no objections. The extention could only be seen from their landing window and not overly intrusive. The neighbour opposite who had prime view of the extention fully supported it. The objectors thought it would devalue their property. Although local estate agents felt it would increase the value of their property through setting a president meaning they should get similar approved. I have suspicions that the parish council meeting wasn’t totally impartial. In the end we had to move to get what we wanted. Which was a shame as we liked were we where, and was well placed for schools. Although to be honest glad we don’t have to live next to them after things went sour.

dannyh

Thanks Mark. Yes, that’s the thing isn’t it? Anything for a quite life, really, but I just want this to work out well!

Your example is from the ‘other side’ and I do appreciate what that can be like as well.

I’m going to end my part on this thread (which I have sort of hijacked without meaning to – sorry OP) by highlighting one very clear difference between me and my ‘nemesis’ next door.

I ride mountain bikes. He doesn’t. I win.

toys19

DannyH you were a bit rude to MS DBCooper there, too, you started off criticizing her, knowing very little about her situation and got a bit hand-baggy when she held you to account.
    I’ll be honest I agree with her point and think your assumed right to have a high value house makes you a bit of a raging hypocrite as well as a bit rude. It’s no wonder you don’t get on with your neighbours, you sound like a ruddy nightmare to live near. Plus your fear appears to hypothetical and somewhat imaginary, perhaps her paranoia comment was exposing your delusion?

dannyh

I apologised to everyone. Yes it is getting to me. Yes I did vent and shouldn’t have. I will give chapter and verse at a later date if anyone is still interested. You’re pretty rude too. As well as presumptuous. But hey, have a pop if you need to big man.

Viewing 20 posts - 46 through 65 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Any planning experts in? Not sure whether to take no for an answer…’ is closed to new replies.