Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Any Photographers on here? Flashgun advice.
  • andy8442
    Free Member

Hi. I’m looking to buy a couple of Yongnuo flash guns . One with ttl to go on the camera (Canon 650d) and the other to sit elsewhere . Question is/are which models? And what do I need to fire the second unit? Will built in optical firing suffice or some radio remotes? It’s been along time since I’ve messed with lighting, and ( pardon the pun) feel a little in the dark about it all..

Thanks in advance. This is by far the best forum for intelligent, and not so responses.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

To answer just part of your question, optical slaving is fine indoors, within line of sight, at (relatively) close ranges…change any of those parameters and you’d be better served by radio remotes.

For maximum versatility you’ll really want to be getting both the flash units off-camera at some time, so bear that in mind if you decide to go with radio remotes.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

I cant comment on the yongnuo flashes but I use the radio triggers and theyre very good, even working after one and my 580ex went for a swim in the sea..

My flash kit consists of 580ex (triggered by yongnuo radio) a 540EZ (triggered by wein peanut) SB26 (triggered by built in optical) and finally sb28 (fired by yongnuo)

Obviously i can swap triggers around but I can fire all 4 should I want relatively easily/cheaply.

Cougar

I have a YN565EX. Great bit of kit, though I’m utterly baffled by it.

The 650D will fire it remotely natively IIRC, no need for remote triggers.

speed12
    Free Member

I recently bought a 568ex ii and couldn’t be happier. It is the first of the YN flashes to be a master so would be the one you would want (although, as Cougar says, I believe the internal flash of the 650D can do master as well – worth checking out). It’s a great flash though,withi everything you would need.

The YN 622c radio transmitters are meant to be ace as well. You can get 4 of them for £50 (master and 3 remote flashes) so might be worth a look if you do a lot of off camera work. Means both your flashes can be off camera ra than just the one.

andy8442
    Free Member

Thanks all.

I’m going to order the YN568ex and a yn560, and have a good play.

I love this forum, always an answer!

AlexSimon

I looked at the YN568ex because of the HSS ability. Pair it with the YN-622C triggers and you’ve got a pretty amazing system.

In the end I kept it cheap and cheerful 2x YN460-II and 3x RF-603 triggers.
    Approx £100 all-in. Works fantastically. Although all totally manual.

Used it to take this set of product photos:
    http://www.luminmusic.com/gallery.html

speed12
    Free Member

Andy, just to check – if you want the optical master function, you will need the 568 ex ii rather than the 568 ex. It has only just been released, but is available on eBay.

Kevsterjw
    Free Member

andy8442
    Free Member

Thanks @speed12 I’ve gone for the 568 mk2.

speed12
    Free Member

Good stuff – it’s a fantastic flash, you will enjoy it a lot!

dbukdbuk
    Free Member

Sounds like you have the answers to your questions already but I’ll add my 2cents in case it is of use.

I agree that outdoors you may be able to use optical sync but I wouldn’t rely on it. It may work in some situations but there are a lot more where it wont work.

Radio triggers will be much more reliable outside.

Cheers

Darren
    http://www.darrenbirkin.com

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Any Photographers on here? Flashgun advice.’ is closed to new replies.