Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Any personal trainers on here? Is it worth the money and hassle of re-training?
  • neilsonwheels
    Free Member

After being made redundant again I was looking at re-training and someone suggesting being a personal trainer.? Would it be worth the hassle of doing so.? What is the job like in the real world.?

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Anyone one the day shift.?

warton
    Free Member

it depends at what level you want to be a PT.

If you’re talking about the ‘personal trainers’ you see at the major gyms I think it’s fair to say you won’t be getting much more than minimum wage.

lungman

If you go solo away from a local gym, you can make decent money out of it and the jobs satisfaction is great. Unsocial hours first thing and last thing do get in the way of biking and family life. Burn out is very common and maybe not the best time to do it as most people see personal trainers as a luxury and there’s not as much disposable income around at the moment so its harder to find the work. Out of the 26 people on the course I did only 1-2 people are still training and that’s 7 yrs down the line.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Hmmmm getting in the way of biking. 😯 This could be a none starter straight away.

stever
    Free Member

A good mate runs a great training business. One thing to remember is that you spend a lot of your time with people who can’t motivate themselves. He does a lot of 10 minute mile running for example. I’d imagine personality is at least as important as ‘quite like sport’. Good luck.

ton

a friend of the wife’s goes to the local park 3 times a week on a bootcamp type thing.
    there are 20 women that attend this.
    the guy has them running up hills, stretching, piggy backing each other, press ups…..just normal easy to do fitness stuff.
    he charges them £5 each.

£5 x 20 = £100 x 3 = £300
    not bad for 3 hours work, with no overheads at all.

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

with no overheads at all

Insurance? Licence to use the park to run group fitness sessions?

wrecker
    Free Member

Is that Ateam fitness Ton?

A few mates do personal training, to varying degrees of success.
    The best one used to be S&C coach at a prem rugby club and now does a lot of personal training for pro MMA fighters and also mortals aiming to step their sports up a bit (Rugby players etc). He’s doing very well but then, he is very good. Some ex-mil guys do the whole beasting stuff as ton mentioned, and also some work with kids. They do pretty well.
    A friend without the kind of backgrounds mentioned above (he just got into it) works in a gym. Rubbish shifts, poor pay and clients who aren’t very motivated at all. Lives with his mum.

footflaps

One thing to remember is that you spend a lot of your time with people who can’t motivate themselves.

That’s the main reason people hire a PT, the fact they’ve booked a slot makes them turn up and train rather than just stay in and watch TV or get up an hour later.

There’s also a lot of competition at the top end, eg the gym I use does Personal training only but they’re all very highly qualified eg relevant degree and experience which is the polar opposite of the YMCA 6 week PT course end of the market.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Any personal trainers on here? Is it worth the money and hassle of re-training?’ is closed to new replies.