• This topic has 10 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by TomB.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Any parking suggestions for Newcastle ferry port?
  • TomB

We are heading for a short cycling trip to Amsterdam, and need to leave the car in Newcastle or thereabouts (to far to cycle on the day from Keswick!). Port parking is £12 per day- does anyone know of any safe alternatives for mon-sat parking within reasonable riding distance of the ferry port? Ta

ton

sorry, cant help you with parking.
    but what is it like riding around Amsterdam?

we are going for a weeks tour in a couple of week, starting in Rotterdam and heading up the coast to texel, then spending a couple of nights in Amsterdam.

TomB

No idea! This is a first for us. We have bought the Dutch map with all the cycle routes marked with numbers and distances (anwb fietskaart) and booked an airbnb so not proper touring. Kids are 9 and 11 so hopefully it’s as flat as advertised.

fooman

Look at JustPark you can book anything from multi stories to people’s driveways, I’ve used them for Liverpool ferry terminal.

joemmo
    Free Member

Just park looks like a decent option but if you want suggestions of safe-ish areas to park within reach of the terminal then PM me. I’d probably not recommend leaving the car on the street in the immediate vicinity of the port even though it may well be fine.

re: the flatness, a friend recently got the ferry to Ijmuiden and rode 90 miles down to Brussels for the TDF depart. There were only 650 ft of climbing in that distance, mostly crossing bridges he reckoned.

neilthewheel

We cycled from Ijmuden to Amsterdam central station – must have taken about an hour. Not very pretty, but excellent facilities.

swavis

We cycled from Ijmuiden to Arnhem for the SSEC last year, t’was great but I wish I’s picked a larger gear, it really is hard to believe how flat it is 😉

Oh and we just left the van in a car park.

kcal

I think the high point was that fab bridge – cyclepath only – that went up and over the motorway @swavis, eh! yes, we just parked in a Premier Inn car park or some such, was all above board and signed off. Van was still there on return, just as well..

swavis

@kcal yes! Flyovers for cyclists, it was like a different world! 😀

thenorthwind

I live about 3 or 4 miles from the ferry terminal (Wallsend). There’s plenty of parking space on our street (quiet cul-de-sac, decent area) and no-one would pay much attention if you left a car there. I’d keep an eye too. PM me and I’ll send you some details

TomB

Thanks thenorthwind, I’ll be in touch!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Any parking suggestions for Newcastle ferry port?’ is closed to new replies.