Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Any Pack Raft Experts in the House?
  • convert

50th birthday yesterday and the family clubbed together to buy me a pack raft. It was Mrs C’s idea rather than something I’d suggested but I think a pretty good one as it’s something I’ve always fancied.

Wisely after starting researching what I might like she appreciated that there’s such a variety I would prefer to choose one myself. The kitty comes to £500. I don’t mind topping that up to get the right model but not ridiculously, so it’ll need to be a low/mid range boat rather than one of the £1500+ high end boats. I say this now, as much to myself as anyone giving advice! Must.not.get.carried.away.

Anyone have any advice? Brands, features etc etc. Obviously the first decision is what I’ll use it for as some are super lightweight capable of being carried with ease and some are very bulky and white water capable with many others somewhere in between. In a moon on a stick aspiration style, I obviously want it to be great at everything! I can only envisage owning the one pack raft so It’ll be a compromise I guess. Living in the Highlands I’ve got access to lots of different water bodies. I’ve got the Findhorn river a 10min walk away from my house and there would be an awesome loop of walking to a put in, a 3 mile stretch to a get out point and a stroll home with some grade 1&2 rapids. I can’t see me wanting to do the higher grade lower sections as beyond beyond my skillset. Even then, it would be choosing the right water level – but living here maykes that easy. The local rafting company put total newbies in pack rafts down that section all the time. Alternatively, strapping it to my bars or rucksack and walking/riding to a remote loch appeals too. A camp and evening paddle along Loch A’an or Loch Etchachan (and hundreds of others) would be really fun! I might well be wrong but journeys where I’d want to strap a dissembled bike (or heavy rucksack) to the front of a pack raft to complete a journey would possibly be a bit contrived or limited in scope.

So what have you got? Any pointers or sources of info much appreciated.

piemonster

Have you been in to chat with Andy in Aviemore yet? Few courses available as well.

I picked up a Caribou from him a couple of years back that would be in budget. Was a former fleet boat used for the aforementioned courses but pretty much in A+ condition.

I suspect our intentions for use mean that a few days out with myself and @scotroutes would be possible.

NewRetroTom

Wife buying you a pack-raft… has she been taking out life insurance policies in your name? Is she suggesting you go paddling from Seaton Carew?

binman

Have you tried asking on Songofthepaddle

https://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/ ?

Used to be quite popular there.

scotroutes

I’ll echo what @piemonster says. Go speak to Andy at backcountry.scot.

Remember to budget for PFD, a paddle – lightweight if you intend carrying it – and probably a helmet.

It would be a good idea to get into one of Andys beginner courses. He does rental too should you just wish to try it out.

There is a good Facebook group for packrafting in the UK and it’s not just experts so lots of “starting out” experiences which might be if value.

We have two rafts here. If you’d like to borrow one, let me know. They are sized according to your height though so I can only help out at the more bijou end 😉

Edit. I’ll just add that we only use ours very infrequently. If I’m being honest with myself, it would have probably been as cheap to rent, even though one is an ex-hire boat from Andy.

convert

Thanks both.

Backcountry.scot does look good – I was just worried that their standard fayre was beyond my budget! Hadn’t thought of their ex-fleet sales.

PDF and helmet sorted. My werner sea kayak splits would get me started but obviously not sane for white water and 4 piece rather than 2 would make journeying way easier. I’ve got an old aquabound carbon shafted one piece of a good length for packrafting I was toying with making a 4 piece – nothing really lost if it does not work as hoped.

Edit. I’ll just add that we only use ours very infrequently. If I’m being honest with myself, it would have probably been as cheap to rent, even though one is an ex-hire boat from Andy.

That was my other worry. And with backcountry.scot just up the way getting a hire boat is not that hard. But….spontaneity. Or packing it in the back of the van for a one week trip where I ‘might’ use it would clearly not work with a hire boat.

scotroutes

Andy also has his Consignment Store running – second hand kit which he sells on the owners behalf for a small commission. He might even know of folk looking to move on their boats as they “upgrade” to newer models.

We will typically take our boats away for a holiday to Uist and use them only once or twice so rental wouldn’t work like that. Also, the more we’ve got into swimming, the less paddling we’ve done.

thenorthwind

I think the most useful advice has already been given, but I’ll stick my 4-piece paddle in anyway…

Backcountry Andy should probably be your first port of call given your location, but he only stocks Alpackas (as far as I know) and, even speaking as a two-time Alpacka owner, it’s worth looking at the alternatives, which are many these days. Have a look at Tirio who supply Kokopelli and Anfibio and speak to Jason. Off the top of my head, there’s OneRaft and Neris too.

I don’t use my raft as regularly as some, it not being my main hobby, and as you say, some journeys using it are a bit contrived (which is kind of the fun of them). But it’s certainly been a worthwhile purchase for the experiences I’ve had with it, and I wouldn’t like to be without it now. I still get a bit of a kick when I pack or unpack it and use it for a journey where there’s no way I’d be using a canoe/kayak. As a small example, I took it on a family holiday last week and a couple of hours paddling off the Aberdeenshire coast. No way I’d have bothered to strap a kayak to the roof of the car not even knowing if I’d use it, but throwing the raft in the back was a no-brainer.

Definitely check out the Packrafting UK Facebook group.

convert

Thanks for that.

Have a look at Tirio who supply Kokopelli and Anfibio and speak to Jason.

oh… that looks good.

The Anfibio Revo XL might be about the sweet spot for me, capable of being setup lighter and in a more capable heavier water water configuration. And the price is just about doable/justifiable.

thenorthwind

I haven’t really kept fully up to speed with all the new boat options, since there’s so many now and I’ve got one I’m happy with, but I have to say the Revo XL looks very good, and pretty good value. It would be high up my list if I was shopping, particularly if I wasn’t looking for something to carry a bike/heavy load (not that it couldn’t, just there are other boats designed more specifically for that, the Alpacka Caribou being the obvious). My friend’s just bought the CL and I’m keen to have a look at it.

sweepy
    Free Member

I’m in the same area as you and recently got a packraft. Just on the middle Findhorn with it last week and scope to take on up to G4 without worry. Its a bit heavier and bulkier than the real long distance expedition boats but higher pressure, more robust and self bailing. Has 150l of storage in the tubes as well so good for trips and a shape that allows it to ferry, carve etc, a proper river boat, but the mrs uses it on the flat water to go out with her paddleboarding mates. Weighs about 6Kg. There’s a local guy who is a brand ambassador and open to people trying them out. I’d happily get out for a paddle if you fancy checking them out sometime.

Edit: should have said, once i’d paid the import charges it cost about a grand

convert

Thanks Sweepy – good hear of another person in my area who owns/uses a packraft.

I’ve taken the plunge and pre-ordered a Anfibio Revo XL from Tirio. Obviously not sat in one so a bit of a gamble but on paper it feels like the right compromise between possible uses, weight, quality and price for my needs.

Looking forward to another toy for the summer!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.