• This topic has 20 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Any other iGoogle users?
  • DezB
    Free Member

Wondering what to do when they get rid next month? The alternatives they suggest don’t seem to do what I want – which is..
    News feeds
    Web links
    Mail gadgets

all on my homepage…

Any suggestions?

GrahamS

For News (RSS) feeds I just use Google Reader: http://www.google.com/reader/
    (via web interface on PC and Reeder app on iPhone/iPad)

I have WAY too many to try and cram onto one home page!

alfabus
    Free Member

I thought it wasn’t be switched off until november 2013

I use it because we are stuck to just using IE8 at work, so I can’t use a customized chrome (which is their suggested alternative).

Hopefully I’ll work somewhere more sensible by the time they turn it off.

Dave

alfabus
    Free Member

just checked, it is definitely 2013, so you’ve got another year:

http://support.google.com/websearch/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2664197&topic=1678516&ctx=topic

Dave

DezB
    Free Member

Dave Alfabus. I love you.
    2013 it is 🙂

[Edit] + 😳

spacemonkey

Graham, have you seen Feedly? It has a more contemporary look and feel, and is really easy to use.

SkillWill
    Free Member

I was disappointed to see this go, I can’t see the reason to just turn it off.

I liked having weather, google reader and live market / gold prices on my homepage. I can’t do that with their suggested alternatives 🙁

Dobbo

I was disappointed to see this go, I can’t see the reason to just turn it off.

+1, makes a great home page with Google mail, Google calender, news, weather etc. widgets

DezB
    Free Member

Glad it’s not just me!
    I can see the alternative being a combination – something like Feedly with Chrome gadgets… not the same though.

Cougar

I set one up years ago, can’t say as I ever used it in anger though. I didn’t know it was still going.

TBH, I’ve never got the point of a ‘home page’ anyway. Who goes to the same page every time they open a browser window? I used to have Google as my home page before the advent of search bars integrated into the browser, but these days I just have it set to being a blank page. Maybe it’d be different if I was a very light user, but I typically have dozens of pages open at any one time and I want new tabs to open immediately rather than sit reloading a page I’ve already seen multiple times today.

alfabus
    Free Member

I don’t use it at home… just for work, where it is useful to have an inobtrusive page with all manner of stuff I use often sat open on my ‘open to the world’ PC, while I get on with stuff on my development PC.

If nothing else, it provides a useful tab for me to put in front of STW 🙂

Dave

footflaps

Graham, have you seen Feedly? It has a more contemporary look and feel, and is really easy to use.

Just installed this, looks nice so far. Just need some decent feeds to follow now…

DezB
    Free Member

So this Feedly – can you get rid of the bloody AMAZON ADVERT??

spacemonkey

Amazon advert? I don’t have any ads on mine.

GrahamS

Graham, have you seen Feedly?

Hmm.. watched the vid on the website. Looks a bit like FlipBoard in the way it “magazinifies” the content

Pretty. But it doesn’t look that useful for scanning over hundreds of headlines at a time, which tends to be how I use Reader & Reeder.

DezB
    Free Member

Amazon advert? I don’t have any ads on mine.

You don’t see this down the right? Wouldn’t mind so much if it was targeted!

footflaps

Amazon add on mine (LHS when you click through to an article).

simon_g

I use it as a convenient cross-platform, cross-machine RSS client. Haven’t found a good alternative yet, but can’t say I’ve spent much time looking.

lunge

Glad I am not alone here. I like it as it gives me a nice, low key way to check a few things whilst at work. I will keep an eye on this tread to see if it offers any alternatives.

spacemonkey

Still no ads on mine 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

So, not long to go now… what you using?

I’ve just found this
    http://www.ighome.com/

Setting it up.
    They’ve tried to make it as much like iGoogle as possible. It’s ok , little bit clunky, but I think I’ll get used to it.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Any other iGoogle users?’ is closed to new replies.