Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Any orienteers? A question.
  • MrSparkle

I am doing the inov8 iroc race at w/end and part of it is a night time score class orienteering event. I haven’t really done any orienteering before so my question is this – I am assuming that I will be given a map with various controls on it, some close to the start with a low points value and some further away with a higher value. We are using Sports Ident dibbers so I presume that the controls will be marked on the map and description AND have an identifying mark (QQ or whatever)so you know which one you have dibbed?

tree-magnet
    Free Member

Dunno about this specific event, but most I’ve done run like this:

You’re issued with a map and compass and a check sheet that has a certain amount of numbered boxes. You go to the desk at your start time and the clock starts. In front of you is a list of numbered grid references. You plot them on your map and then head off whenever you want (bearing in mind the clock is running from the moment you see the checkpoints). You then head out, and collect them all in whatever order you think is best. When you get to the checkpoint you’ll find a flag marker with an orange hole punch that you punch your check sheet with. Once you’ve got all the markers you head back to the start/finish area and the clock stops.

sweaman2
    Free Member

Tree-Magnet – doesn’t sound like you’ve used the Sport Ident dibber as that replaces the hole punch. 😀

My guess is event will run like this:

Before start you are given map – this may or may not have premarked checkpoints. You will probably be given list of grid references in order to plot up the CP locations but no other info.

When you start you are handed a descriptor sheet that describes in more details where the CP is (bearing from post etc) and it’s value. You have to decide which ones you visit etc.

When you get to a checkpoint just put in the SI key into the reader and it will record that you have visited. There may not be anything telling you which CP it is but there will be something marked on the reader in case it fails (so you can prove you visited it) Only if lights don’t flash do I bother noting the makers feature.

http://www.sleepmonsters.co.uk will provide more advice on this sort of topic.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Basically what sweaman2 says- you’ll probably get the location of the controls in advance, but not their values until you’ve started. There will very likely be a sticker on the SI box with the number/reference on it so you know you’re in the right place- I’ve yet to do an event where there isn’t, although I’ve not done an Inov8 one. When you get the descriptor sheet, not all of the checkpoints may actually exist and the value isn’t necessarily dependent just on how close they are to the start, but those last 2 points are event-dependent.

crouch_potato
    Free Member

Mr Sparkle- you assume more or less right in my experience. Depending on the event, the course amy be set or you might be free to do the controls in any order you like (I assume you already know which it is). Can’t remember any identifying marks on the controls in any adventure races or polaris type things that I’ve done though (other than those for if the dibber fails- a short code or something). It’d be pretty tricky to do the same one twice I’d have thought- either on the map or the ground.

Also check the time limit and the rules for overrunning this- sometimes it’s better to clear the course slightly over the limit, and other times taking it easy and being back well inside the time avoids big penalties. Similarly, some courses encourage you to take easy points whereas others really reward you going for the highest scoring ones- If you don’t reckon you’re likely to clear the course then one tactic is usually best (apologies if this is teaching you to suck eggs).

Sounds like you have it sorted- tree-magnet is on about ones not using the dibber thingys, but otherwise they’re more or less the same. Some races have a number of points plotted (eg 30) then when you go to the line to start they tell you which are “real” (ie remove 10, 12, 5,…) so you have to make up/ adjust your route. If this is the case, take a good marker so you don’t head off for “that final one” only to discover it never existed after half an hour searching.

There was a thread on the IROC thing the other day, send up a report when it’s done- I was thinking of entering, and I know a few on here have.

c_p

[edit- ok this adds little to the above posts, but anyway…]

Pyro

MrSparkle

Normal procedure for score with SI units is that you just have to remember which ones you’ve done! I usually carry a red pen and tick off on my map or descriptions which I’ve been to.

I’ll presumably see you up there, although we don’t know each other. I’m marshalling on the event!

Enjoy!

MrSparkle

Cheers all. Much appreciated.

trail_rat
    Free Member

im doing the iroc race too mr sparkle

Was me that started the thread the other day

Me n a mate are doing pairs 1 racing. HE can run and i can ride …. but unfortunantly im the navigator too … so ill be running in some of the events

looks like it should be a good event. Hope organisation is good cause it has potential to go tits upside doon

Previous SI dibber orienteering races ive done you dib your dibber and then take it back and the machine at the end knows where you have been as each dibber station has a unique id that the chip stores

nicko74

Ooh – been a few years since I stopped doing O/ since my folks gave up dragging me along.
    You have an electronic ‘dibber’ that you ‘dib’ at the control; when you get back it gets read by a machine and it determines which controls you visited and hence how many points you get. Also it’ll work out any penalties (for being over the time limit).
    You may get control descriptions for each control (knoll, NE side; gully, bottom, wet etc), but you won’t get the actual locations until the start time; they should all be printed on the map. Pre-emptive GPS (ie to plot your route) is still not allowed in traditional Orienteering, but not sure about events like this one.

trail_rat
    Free Member

GPS of ANYKIND are banned this weekend … not even allowed my edge 205 which couldnt navigate its way out of a room with an exit sign in neon above it ! Its just a glorified speedo.

Trail quest is ACE !

coffeeking
    Free Member

GPS would seem like cheating in any orienteering event, would be a piece of proverbial cake to draw all the points on the map, identify the quickest route round, enter them into GPS and just follow the arrow – no fun in that.

NZCol

If its score then you’ll get a map with loads of controls of various values and then you try and string a course together for the given time. Over time you get penalties. In AR you normally get a pre-marked map, a dibber and a 1:25000 or worse and some idea where the control is “Juniper Bush on Knoll”, “10m down cliff in waterfall – TAKE CARE”. “Up farmers arse in Lounge Bar” etc.

In ‘proper’ hardcore O events they put a few controls for various courses close together and they have no specific marks on them so if you are cheat navigatnig then you have no specific idea which is yours. If you know what you are doing then you will have a clue.
    If its proper O as well on a very small scale map i.e. 2m contour intervals etc you should get a list of graphics showing you where the control is for example a sort of upside long U is a reentrant etc etc. These fckrs can get confusing. I’ve done some O world champs and do a lot of rogaining whish is less accurate orienteering over a much longer distance (24hrs for example).
    You also have to dress like a clown and act like a fckn retard. In my experience. 😀

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Any orienteers? A question.’ is closed to new replies.