Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • any one used a steerer extender? are they safe?
  • paulo6624
    Free Member

as above really need to add roughly 30mm to my fork 1 1/8 steerer ive seen some at crc and je james and seem well priced just wondered if any one had used one and what they thought?

wwaswas

if it’s an alloy steerer and alloy extender then you coudl always get it welded on for extra strength.

Probably best not to use on a carbon steerer, though, tbh…

BigJohn

Didn’t Ayrton Senna use one?

Beagleboy

I got one to extend the steerer tube on the Bombers attached to my tandem. It seemed well made and worked along the same way as pre-aheadset stem/steerer combos. Tightening the top bolt drew up a wedge shaped bolt underneath, clamping it into the fork steerer.

However, It was a very….very tight fit and once in, something didn’t feel right. Yep, it had split the alloy steerer tube down it’s full length. I was a bit sad about that. I did try it on another (cheaper) fork and it slid in without a problem. By this point though, the 2nd fitting attempt, the bolt had threaded the wedge. It went in the bin then, and I resigned myself to a sore back and neck when tandeming.

I still think it was a fairly well thought out bit of kit for less than £20. There’s a good chance that both problems I encountered were more down to my over enthusiastic DIY. In saying all that, I was putting it on my tandem. The most Gnarr it gets is bumping down the two steps at the back of our house. I wouldn’t trust it on my MTB….unless it was made by Hope or Easton of course, and came in a nice shiny colour.

B. 😀

dufresneorama
    Free Member

I used one on my tourer/commuter, sold it on here then bought it back for a mate. They’re certainly handy and I’ve never had any problems, but I only ever used on road and woodland trails etc. I don’t think i’d be happy having to use one on my mtb.

Was one on the BBB ones

paulo6624
    Free Member

hmmm thanks guys, think i might just bite the bullet and get some new forks dont need the worry its gonna come off in my hands, lol

Paceman
    Free Member

Maybe try a low stacking headset such as Crank Bros, or a low stack stem. You might just about create 30mm extra???

rocketman
    Free Member

It’s your face

kaiser
    Free Member

the quill type by bbb are pretty useful but as mentioned above often are tight or won’t fit alloy steerers ime. with steel steerers like on many road bikes they work a treat . there’s also another type that clamps over the steerer but you need a fair bit sticking out already. both types are heavy if you’re bothered and the latter very ugly.
    if you’ve enough steerer to clamp a stem but just want it higher then high rise stems and riser bars come into play or just slam on a bmx bar!I always need more height and have tried all options …should really get bigger frames but find that often the reach is then too much. ( seat forward, short stem …Ok yes I know!)

gazc
    Free Member

my mate runs one for xc/touring with no problems, it’s clamps over the steerer and has a 1 1/8 bit for your normal stem to fit onto on top. might be fugly but it saves his back (he’s 6’5”…)

xiphon
    Free Member

If the steerer is too short, a low stack headset and stem (Spank Spike; Funn SMX..) can solve it the problem.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have used one with no issues apart from I had to get it machined to fit well. It was not weak – or no weaker than a well made quill stem and we all rode on them quite happliy. Ruddy heavy tho

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Not sure what the BBB one is like, but I used one of these @ £12.99 for a few years, which seemed to work (i.e. I still have a face):

It’s not actually a steerer extender per se, but you can use it as one – with a bit of common sense. As I see it, the arrangement with the solid quill inside the steerer means this is actually stronger than without it. If all you need is 30mm extension, you should be able to fit the stem so that it clamps both the adaptor / extender and your steerer, thereby securing the whole lot very tightly. I’m not sure how it could suddenly fail unless you managed to simultaneously snap a solid ~30mm thick ally bar AND the top of your steerer, which were all clamped together by your stem.

Then again, I would probably always use forks with a long enough steerer from now on. I only have one face, after all. 😉

paulo6624
    Free Member

yep thanks for all the advice guys, new forks i reckon, glad crc have some good offers on cheers guys

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘any one used a steerer extender? are they safe?’ is closed to new replies.