Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • any one on here 6ft4" and 19stone riding a 19" hardtail?
  • big-chief-96
    Free Member

hi,

got my dad an on-one inbred 29er but its 19" frame size which would proberly be abit too small for him but the thing is.. would having a 19stone rider on a longish seatpost going to put any stress/damage on the post/frame? hes not going to be doing any hardcore riding bar the odd few puddles on hebden bridges canal networks…

cheers tom

ton

you should have got him the 21'' one over there>>>>>

angryratio
    Free Member

Just do it..
    Provided you get a decent post and it still runs with plenty of insert it should be fine. Thomson? High end easton dh post ? FSA dh post?

Biggest risk is more likely to be cracked saddles and bent rails.

zaskar
    Free Member

Even when its all steel? maybe a DH seat post if it's tougher.

Just thinking of the posture-might be uncomfortable if he sits down a lot.

21-22" frame?

I think the Ti saddles rails would give before the seat post!

Steel frame, good steal seat post and steel cro mo saddle and sorted.

pypdjl
    Free Member

The 19.5 inbred 29er is still pretty big though, has a longer ett than some XL 26ers. I'm 6'5" and I prefer my 19.5 scandal to the 21 inbred I used to have.

ratadog

Whether I am your dad's clone in other respects I know not, but I am 6ft4" and around 19 stone and happily riding a 19.5 inch Scandal with a Twelfty seatpost and no layback. 90mm stem IIRC. My 456 is 20 inch. I have to say that both are fine for me although the 456 has a thudbuster seatpost which confuses the issue slightly. Doing bridleways, singletrack XC and MTBO on the Scandal with no problems so far ( about 18 months and 800km).

I have to say that in my case the seatpost on the Scandal ain't out that far. However, I know that I have a relatively long torso not just long legs, so my leg length may be less despite the similarity in height.

hora
    Free Member

Wow, you big folk make me look like a midget 😀

69er
    Free Member

6'4", not made it to 19 stone yet. Practice makes perfect though.

19.5" On One here, Thomson post. No issues at all and it's a great fit.

ampthill

Interesting. This has encouraged me to try some smaller frames again

In my youth I ran a 19" Kona with a seat post just a bit further out han the min insertion for years. I was 6 foot 3 or 4 inches and say 14 stone then. Still the same height but about a stone heavier now

big-chief-96
    Free Member

cheers guys he was 21stone but lost some weight and needs to loose more it proberly wont be ridden that much more by me 🙄 but he likes the idea of it since i nicked all the parts of his old emelle…

jedi

my mate atkins has got a large scott scale 40 and loves it.
    on his second ride today ever on a mtb.
    pic from today at woburn after 2hrs 🙂

richc
    Free Member

I am not far off that, and my only advice is get the smaller frame and a Thomson post and he will be fine.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Tony. I NEED to spend a weekend on a bike with you!.

jedi

nobeerinthefridge, why do you say that? 🙂

jedi

bushwacked today too 🙂

Fuz
    Free Member

6'4" and 21st7lbs had a Giant xtc Large with a EA70 post out to the limit mark. No problems for last 6 years!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Cos I've been ridin for 6 years longer than your mate, and I wouldn't have the balls to hit that size of drop!. Respect to him.

jedi

its a simple physical technique by mentally harder if that makes sense.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Eh?

jedi

the technique is harder mentally than it is physically.
    commitment/confidence/focus etc…need to be strong

robdob
    Free Member

NOW I know why you are called Jedi. You sound like an MTB Yoda. 🙂

pstokes99
    Free Member

I too thought this was heading towards a 'Jedi Mind Trick' line!

jedi

riding mtb is not difficult. people think its harder to do certain techniques than it really is.

robdob
    Free Member

That's my problem. I psyche myself up so much I just can't do it. Used to ride BMX and could jump ok but I just don't seem to be able to stay in control doing it on an MTB so I chicken out.
    Seriously thinking about a skills course and Mr Jedi would be 1st choice but it isn't cheap to get you to Yorkshire. :-/

jedi

then come down if you wish. im in scotland 21st til 25th feb so maybe can do something on the way up there if you wish. best to email me if you thinking of it.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

It is easy once you understand what has to be done (I.e. How easy it is technically) – my challenge is being confident enough in my head that I can do it.

Jedi has shown me that most skills such as clearing those drops are actually quite straight forward

Big grins all round today!! 🙂

jedi

they are not skills (drops/jumpsetc..) they are techniques…bushwacked have you forgotten already 🙂

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Damn – just when I thought I was learning!!! 😉

ken_shields
    Free Member

I'm 6'4" and about 18 stone and ride a 19" 5 Spot, 20" Sanderson Soloist and have had over the years a 20" Inbred, 19" Planet X Compo, 19" Dialled Morning Glory, 20" Sanderson Life and a 20" Voodoo Bizango. All required a lot of seatpost (some with layback, some without) but all worked fine and all rode great.

I've never gone for the XL (21") size because I prefer a smaller frame and also don't like the gate like appearance of the bigger sizes.

I'd go for the smaller on as larger frames can feel a bit unwieldy to the novice

Stoner
    Free Member

Im 6'4" and 14st. I prefer my 19.5" O-O Ti29 for standover over my 21" Scandal 29er.

Scandal was great for sitting down and munching miles, but anything technical and my jewels were getting perilously close to the TT even with my 36" legs.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘any one on here 6ft4" and 19stone riding a 19" hardtail?’ is closed to new replies.