Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Any olympic rowers in?
  • Premier Icon bob_summers

What would you call this sport?

I am trying to translate from SPanish “remo de banco móvil” which I *think* would be sliding seat sculling. Is tht a thing or does it sound knobbish? ie the rowing equivalent of “trail bike”… I suspect in English it is just “rowing”, whereas in Spanish for some reason it is differentiated from ‘fixed’ seat rowing.

Ta!

Premier Icon martinhutch

Sliding Seat Rowing

That’s a sweep boat (one oar per rower)

Sculling is two oars per rower.

IANAOR

Premier Icon euain

Couple of things there: sculling would mean two blades (oars), whereas rowing has a single blade (as in you picture).

Siding seat, fixed seat rowing is a valid difference. Boat race, olympics etc. is all sliding seat so you’d be able to just refer to rowing or sculling in context. Otherwise, no problem referring to sliding seat or fixed seat to differentiate.

Premier Icon richmars

It’s an eight, which is, as above rowing. Sculling comes in single, double or quad, whereas rowing comes in pairs, fours and eights

Premier Icon grantyboy
    Free Member

how does Toff Racing translate (used to row for Scotland so can say this)
    Picture is a coxed mens 8. Fixed seat rowing would be more like boats/dinghies in the sea

Rich – you used to get sculling 8’s called Octos, now banned as too fast. Juniors might still race them but very niche

Premier Icon bob_summers

Good point, thnks. As you might’ve guessed IANAR.

If it’s just ‘rowing’ it makes the sentence a bit clunky but it’ll have to do.

Rowing is kind of the Basque national sport – I think “banco móvil” is used to distinguish it from the fixed seat “estropadak” which draw massive crowds for the summer leagues, ie:

Premier Icon thecaptain
    Free Member

No rower would call that anything other than rowing. Rowing in a eight if you want to add more words.

Premier Icon tonyg2003

All Olympic type rowing is sliding seat. Fixed seat rowing is normal on off shore rowing in skiff’s etc…

Premier Icon mefty
    Free Member

you used to get sculling 8’s called Octos, now banned as too fast. Juniors might still race them but very niche

Indeed Juniors still use Octos, my daughter’s club start them off in them.

Premier Icon zippykona

How fast could one of those banned killer death rowing boats go?

Premier Icon epicyclo

@bob_summers That looks a bit like the Australian surf boats. Do they launch off the beach into surf?

And is it televised? I wouldn’t mind watching that.

Premier Icon slowol
    Free Member

The original photo is of a rowing eight. Don’t need any qualifiers as eights are always sweep oar (one oar per rower except for juniors who scull with 2 oars each) and have a cox, always at the back in an eight, who steers and is theoretically in control. Eights have sliding seats, always.

Those guys in the coloured sea boats in Spain are rowing some kind of sea skiff or whaling boat with fixed seats (look how far back they are leaning you only do this in fixed seat rowing where the ‘drive’ phase of the stroke is done with the back rather than the legs).
    Skiffs are all shapes and sizes and can be rowed sweep oar if large or are sculled in smaller one a 2 person boats like Thames skiffs which I used to race on my days off from rowing (proper skinny boats) when I lived down south.
    Gigs are sea going boats raced in Cornwall, are fixed seat, and the crew are seated in a single line as the boat is narrower than those above.
    Probably clears none of it up for you but all sports have their own niches like gravel trail gnarr geometry that appears on this forum more often.

Premier Icon ayjaydoubleyou
    Free Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCHg5r6rFoI

5 man sculls (I think custom made) for Take That.

Much cheaper to ensure you’re in a 2, 4 or 8 person band.

Premier Icon hugo
    Free Member

I’m now only interested in octos.

Rowing is mildly diverting to watch but a bit, well, slow. To now know they’ve banned the fastest type of boat makes me feel cheated.

Premier Icon sockpuppet

Fixed seats known as “coastal rowing” IME, usually with a sneering tone!

Premier Icon ampthill

Rowing is mildly diverting to watch but a bit, well, slow. To now know they’ve banned the fastest type of boat makes me feel cheated

What did they ban?

That happens in cycling alot

Premier Icon joshvegas
    Free Member

bit, well, slow

It doesn’t ferl like it when you catch a crab and the handle catches you in the gob lifts you off your seat and dumps you back on as the guy behind you punches you in the back if the head.

Premier Icon Kahurangi

What did they ban?

8 x scull boat with no cox.

ZOOM!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.