Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 104 total)
  • Any older dads?!
  • Edric64
    Free Member

I had my first at 25 last at 35 .I`m glad I didnt have them any older as im now nearly 50 and not far from being kid (and:maintenance :lol:) free !!

yunki
    Free Member

LOL Some truly inspirational words from Edric64 there!

Kryton57

41, I have a 4yo and a 10month old baby.

The first baby/few months IS hard, regardless of your age, because of the lifestyle changes and sacrifices you have to learn to make, not to mention the lack of sleep – but all for the right reasons.

Its my own opinion that being this “old” and having a family is a good thing, as we are better equipped in life skills and perhaps financially to cope.

hot_fiat

I and the o/h are 37, and we’re due in the next few days. It’s going to be cool. Though I think it’s sending the o/h quite insane – she’s currently cleaning the fridge by dismantling it. Hopefully she’ll leave the stickers alone.

I have friends who had children in their twenties, early thirties and late thirties. TBH they all seem fine. We (as in humans) are pretty good at coping. I’m more worried that the dog’s going to feel put out: she’s become very clingy and protective toward the o/h.

I suspect the upcoming period of broken sleep will be an eye opener, but again, we’ll cope. I work in IT and my manager is in Detroit, but I look after stuff from Sinagapore through to the mid-atlantic so I’m used to weird sleep and working patterns.

I’m really excited. The house is full of new and shiny gadgets (the buggy is a work of engineering genius), I can’t wait to take it out for a walk along the sea front. It’s gonna be amazing.

One of the pros of being slightly older is that I’m pretty comfortable in my job, it’s a bit dull but I get to work from home, have a bit more disposable income and am generally more worldly wise. I used to travel loads (like 35k per year in the UK & hundreds of European & worldwide flights). That has happily been consigned to the “job roles I’ll never consider again” pile, but it was something I had to do. If I’d done that and had a child at the same time I think I’d be pretty miserable.

stox
    Free Member

Thanks all. Its Been great reading these . Not to mention entertaining .

I realise its a bit early to be scanning the classifieds for trailers and kids bikes already but I can’t seem to help having a peek 🙂

Has anybody any experience of a newborn with dogs around?
    We have to young (1&2) Labradors we need to work around too so we know we are in for that extra bit of work from day one but pretty sure we will cope. Simple fact is we will have to!

Kryton57

stox, we are about to offload a lot of baby stuff, all cheap and in good nick if you are interested. Chairs, steamers for food, bottles, steriliser and so on.

One of the best is the jungle chair swing with overhanging animals. Strap baby in, chair swings and overhead animals rotate to jungle music (not the General Levi kind). Both ours loved it and you can do the hoovering uninterupted.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Another older dad here. I thin kit’s great though obviously having a little ‘un is a bit tying, the ability to just pop out to the cinema, or a meal or a bike ride becomes a much greater issue.

You’ll get a little envious of dads who had kids early, so they’re doing stuff again you can’t do, but looking back at what I’ve done, holidays I’ve done pre-child I wouldn’t swap.

stox
    Free Member

Kryton57 – already keeping an eye on the classifieds to see what appears so ill keep my eyes open if you intend starting a thread….

I don’t want to get too much into it right now (and waste your time) as we have only just announced it so we have friends and family already offering us items but I could be interested a little further down the line < thumb up>

stox
    Free Member

the ability to just pop out to the cinema, or a meal or a bike ride becomes a much greater issue.

2 Labradors so that’s the norm for us anyway 🙂

breatheeasy
    Free Member

2 Labradors so that’s the norm for us anyway

Ha ha, true.

wrecker
    Free Member

I’m in the same boat at 36 with my first on the way. I do get a bit nervous, but now I just have to make sure I stay active.
    In a way it’s a good thing, I’m financially stable and we have a quite good home. Me and mrsW are happily married and will provide a very secure base.
    Still scared though.

moonsaballoon

3 month old boy and a 1 year old lab springer x . The dog has been fine , i think she is young enough to be just excited by it and not put out to much . We have made a point of trying to involve the dog in family trips out and making sure she still gets a good walk , this is where trail hounding comes in handy as it gives you a chance to ride your bike and get the dogs out at the same time. Ours has become quite good at cleaning up baby sick !

Bagstard
    Free Member

I was 37, it gets easier and you wouldn’t be without them.My dog was fine when little stard arrived too, she tends to keep out of his way.

mrblobby
    Free Member

It is tricky with dogs. Mostly it’s just making sure you give them enough time and they don’t feel ignored or left out, which can be difficult as you’ll be knackered pretty much all the time. Get a baby carrier thing for walks. It gets better as kids get older as they can join in some of the games you play with your dog. Blobby Jr use to love standing in his walker thing watching our dog running about after throw toys.

A dog cleaning up baby sick is one thing… but cleaning up runny baby poo that has leaked out of the nappy… 😐

daveky
    Free Member

There was a kid I used to know at school who was teased mercilessly due to having parents in their fifties. I wouldn’t have wanted to be that kid then but I guess he had the last laugh when his dad croaked early and the life insurance paid for his TVR at 20yo.

nick1962
    Free Member

There was a kid I used to know at school who was teased mercilessly due to having parents in their fifties.

Great news-just desserts for all the aggro my youngest two give me.
    My kids 20,4 and 2,me 50.
    Worse thing is my girlfriend is now hankering for a baby.I told her no chance ‘cos the wife would go ballistic if she found out.
    😉

organic355
    Free Member

Any tips for a newborn around 2 (very spoilt) cats?

May have to start shutting them out of the bedroom as they often sleep at the foot of the bed. heard horror stories about cats sleeping in cots and suffocating babies, but I imagine there will be too much noise for them and they will run a mile.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Mostly it’s just making sure you give them enough time and they don’t feel ignored or left out,

No experience of dogs as she died just before the first was borne but IMHO its the kids i would not trust

Saw my youngest stood there hitting the cat on the head and saying sorry each time he did it at about 16 months till she hit him

He also grabbed her by the tail and pulled till her claws gave way and she sprung into his face claws out. After crying hysterically he then went and did the exact same thing

An angry and annoyed dog will do a lot more damage if it gets cross and reacts

As above pics note the incidents will be rare and most seem to take to it well but I would be attentive tbh once they can move anyway

mrblobby
    Free Member

What Junkyard said. Our 18 month old is getting the hang of stroking and being gentle with our dog but still sometimes does the slapping thing instead of stroking. Keep a close eye on them! Sometimes I think kids just can’t help themselves when it comes to pulling a tail.

May have to start shutting them out of the bedroom as they often sleep at the foot of the bed. heard horror stories about cats sleeping in cots and suffocating babies, but I imagine there will be too much noise for them and they will run a mile.

We keep them out of wherever our boy is sleeping, but our cats tend to keep their distance anyway. They are real outdoorsy cats so I don’t think they are bothered.

Pieface

35 when my first one came along. I think you’re at just the right age to show the level of nurturing / experience and playfulness to be a great Dad. Having a baby makes you young again.

kayak23

totalshell

37 old? your having a larf..

i was a week shy of 40 when jnr1 landed best days work i ever did.

my mate Walt knocks that for six though he and the gorgeous Jo had there first kids, twin boys, 5 months ago.. she’s 46 and Walt hes 62 next month..

db

I’m 39 and have a gorgeous 2yr old Grand Daughter – It’s bringing back memories but its nice to hand her back to her mum and dad 😀

Scamper
    Free Member

Was 39 when our first was born, will be 42 for the second and who knows for the third and fourth. The Wife is 8 years younger. 😀

brack
    Free Member

I’m 42 and we had our little Thomas only 6 weeks ago.

I have had a very travelled and interesting life so far…and this little fella is only going to enhance it !

Loving it !!

markrtw
    Free Member

A year ago today we had a baby Ralph and I was 37. Didn’t think about the age thing apart from the fact that I doubt I would have been ready for it (mentally/responsibly/financially) when younger. I’m not saying I wouldn’t of coped earlier, because I’m sure people adapt to whatever comes their way in life, but I think a bit of maturity can only help bring up a well balanced offspring!

scruff
    Free Member

My dogs a big nutty Dalamtion, he did calm down when my first born arrived, think its a pack thing. Never had any agressive issues apart from him stealing their food but he does that with everyone.

captaincarbon
    Free Member

Im 46, and my wife is 41, after all her (and our) prevoius attempts ending in misscarraige we are expecting our first baby early oct, and i cant wait! i have a 13yr old lad from my previous marraige and he is about as exited as we are, but he may be just as exited about getting the scalextrix out again after he said i should get rid of it as he’d grown out of it 8)

bigbadbob
    Free Member

I was on holiday with the family recently, and looking around at the various families, found out that we were one of the youngest couples (44 and 49) with the oldest kids (15 and 18). So glad we had the kids when we did, seeing the older mums and dads trying to cope and running round after the kids was great fun. My son and I have had years of biking together and now he is old enough, he can buy the drinks after our rides too. Result.
    Being a Dad is brilliant (probably) at any age, but my kids are old enough and I am young enough to do loads of things together.
    How old will you be when he asks you to show him how to do ‘Manuals’ or that 4 foot drop-off. Just saying.
    Enjoy them though, whatever age you are and what age they are too.

stox
    Free Member

Captaincarbon – congratulations !

jam-bo

only 6 weeks ago

Loving it !!

you haven’t got to the teething bit yet then…

hora
    Free Member

Only 6weeks? Bless.

The other night our 3yr old played us off against each other at 2am.

You’ll love it.

darrell
    Free Member

im 47 and my first and only kiddie is 6 months old

you are a bit young to be having kids, not too old

crankboy
    Free Member

Me 47 crankbrat 2 . Loving every minute.

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

Had my first at 22 in 1990 , second in 93 at 25 and my third in 2011 at 44 , all Girls and the two olders ( half) sisters love the little un to bits
    Keeps you young , stopped me smoking ( sort of) and wouldnt change it for the world.

Your more chilled being an older daddy

natrix
    Free Member

Had my first at 45, second at 47, they keep you young if you do it right 🙂

senorj

Hello O.P.,congrats.
    I was 42 when L’il J came last year. It’s great fun.
    I don’t think I would have been a very good a dad if I ‘d had him when i was younger – too selfish, burning my candle at both ends etc – I don’t know how my folks coped tbh , they where 19 when they had me.
    I don’t mind not going on the lash etc these days – and I can watch music festivals on the telly – I do want to take him camping to the Dyfi and the like -next year hopefully! 🙂
    I keep telling senorita J that I have to keep cycling to remain young – she agrees fortunately ,so thats cool.

Sometimes I worry that he’ll think I’m an old git when he’s older – but which kids don’t consider their parents duffers at some point?
    Sleep is an issue – just go to bed when you’re spent. You’ll discover exhaustion like you have never felt it before 🙁

stox
    Free Member

It’s been great reading these replies … I feel young 🙂
    Roll on march!

waller
    Free Member

34 and have just had a baby daughter arrive two weeks ago. It’s brilliant 🙂 and nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be from a sleep deprivation point of view although I’m sure every experience is different. Emergency C section so looking after mum and baby Waller at the moment and all are doing well.

Best bit of kit I have found…… A belkin wireless timer thing. Plugged a lamp into it with a real low wattage bulb. Every time the little one stirs I can turn the light on via my iPhone and can check without blinding everyone awake and its easier for me to get back to sleep again. Found the little one doesn’t fully awake as a consequence. It’s been brilliant.

Good luck and I hope it all goes well. It’s incredible and I can’t imagine life without her 🙂

garage-dweller

We are 36 and 40. 4 year old and 1 year old. You are plenty young enough. it’s hard whatever age you are. I doubt I would have been as good a Dad if I had started 10 years ago. I am almost a grown up now. 😉

Congratulations btw

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 104 total)

The topic ‘Any older dads?!’ is closed to new replies.