Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Any of the half-decent, cheap lights mountable using a gopro mount?
  • Euro
    Free Member

New lid is in the post (Bell Super) and i’d like to be able to use the built-in gopro mount to attach a new light. I haven’t decided which light to go for but if any of them would fit then that might narrow the choice down. I had a little google but the only results were for expensive lights or some ingenious homemade contraptions. Is there anything out there that might fit my requirements?

Northwind

DIY is pretty easy, I’ve done it 3 different ways now (only got pics of one)

This was my first one:

IMG_1309 by Northwindlowlander, on Flickr

IMG_1306 by Northwindlowlander, on Flickr

Pretty simple, just a wee bit of old handlebar with a hole stuck in it, araldited to the top of a “long” gopro mount. I eventually glued some sandpaper to the top to make it grippier. Pretty much a universal design, with a little tweaking anything that goes on a handlebar can go on a head. But a wee bit tall.

An even easier approach which I like now is to drill and tap the hole in the light out to 1/4-20- this is the standard camera tripod size, so you can now thread a gopro camera adaptor into it:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-Tripod-Mount-to-Quick-Release-Adapter-for-GoPro-3-3-2-1-Cameras-and-DSLR-/121207856741?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c388d1e65

Quick and simple, very adjustable and very solid. Gave away my light that was built like this but it was ace.

Lastly… Just take a standard foot and attach your light to it in a fixed position pretty much however. My current one is a “tall” gopro foot with the 3 screws undone to leave just the base. A bit of a wooden clothespeg, to give it some tilt. And a random bolt (in this case, a broken Orange mechhanger bolt) threaded through the gopro foot, the clothespeg, and into the light (unscrewed the standard mount on the light obviously). And mucho superglue.

Euro
    Free Member

Cheers NW. Funnily enough, yours was one of the clever DIY solutions i saw. That adaptor looks like the best solution. Ta.

mudsoul
    Free Member

Northwind, this looks great. I was just trying to figure out how to do something similar with a vented helmet GoPro mount. Thanks for sharing your mod.

Euro
    Free Member

Just ordered a couple of Cree XM L T6 lights for bars and helmet. I’m thinking i could adapt the lower half of one of the helmet strap mounts

to suit the helmet mount so that i can swap between light/camera easily.

All theory at present and i wont know until i get my hands on them.

Northwind, any pics of the glue/clothes peg effort?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Any of the half-decent, cheap lights mountable using a gopro mount?’ is closed to new replies.