Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Any of our carnivores been to an abattoir?
  • Premier Icon epicyclo
    Subscriber

Came across this BBC article and thought it worth sharing

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-50986683

Premier Icon akira
    Subscriber

But then changed your mind?

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

[edit due to OP edit]

Premier Icon epicyclo
    Subscriber

@akira Link didn’t show properly first time.

Premier Icon akira
    Subscriber

😁

Premier Icon bikebouy
    Subscriber

Yes, it’s where we send our beef cattle.

S’ya point?

Premier Icon andytherocketeer
    Subscriber

Used to live half a mile (if that) from one

Premier Icon Sandwich
    Subscriber

We’re mainly omnivorous, there’s few truly carnivorous humans.

ton

yes worked in a pig/pork place in the early 90’s.
    was clean and had very good practice.
    pigs were calmed then put to sleep prior to slaughter.

hols2

Yes, why do you ask?

Premier Icon BoardinBob
    Subscriber

When we were kids there was an abattoir near us. We’d ride our bikes out to it and sit and watch them dump all the heads into the skip like the article mentions. Didn’t even register with us as being gross or upsetting.

Premier Icon tomd
    Subscriber

I’ve been in a couple of large ones, still eat meat. It’s certainly interesting – I think most people would be surpirsed at the industrial scale of it (as in a few thousand animals arriving and being processed in a morning).

One thing I hate more than abbattoirs is folk starting threads but not offering any additional insight or opinion.

Premier Icon mrwhyte
    Subscriber

Yep, with our pigs. They went in calmly, had no idea what was going on and were slaughtered quickly and professionally.

Unfortunately a few bad practices by a handful gives the whole industry a bad name. Vegan and animal activists concentrate on the extreme end.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

No, I hunt for my meat in the wild.

popstar

I’ve been to one, slaughter was Kosher/Halal style. Cows struggle less, but pigs make a hell lot of a scream. Overall abattoir wasn’t that big, more local style but it was managed rather well and tidy.

I’m not emotionally attached to the food I eat, so no snowflake opinions.

Premier Icon boomerlives
    Subscriber

I’ve been to a few, including a factory style chicken dismantlers.

I know my food used to have a face, so I wasn’t surprised.

hols2

One thing I hate more than abbattoirs is folk starting threads but not offering any additional insight or opinion.

I hate Nazis and white supremicists much worse than both those things.

Premier Icon NewRetroTom
    Subscriber

Seems like a bit of a weird article, as an example:

There’s animal faeces on the floor

Anyone who has ever worked anywhere dealing with livestock will realise what a fatuous statement that is. Of course there is – where else are the animals supposed to go!

Working in an abbatoir is definitely not for everyone, and some people would defintely see their mental health suffer. The author of the article clearly falls into that category, and rightly got themselves out of the industry.

kerley

Abattoirs are fine. If you are going to eat meat then animals need to be killed.

If there is a problem it is the massive consumption of meat and how many animals are killed, not how they are killed.

Premier Icon jimdubleyou
    Subscriber

slaughter was Kosher/Halal style. Cows struggle less, but pigs make a hell lot of a scream.

Why would an abattoir bother slaughtering pigs in a Kosher / Halal style?

Premier Icon augustuswindsock
    Subscriber

I used to call on one in Middlesbrough about 30 yrs ago, delivering ham of all things!
    One day a pig going for slaughter escaped and was running around, outside, but within the area of the abattoir, it was running straight at me and squeeling (like a pig!) and you could see the terror in its eyes, it knew what it had in store. To escape I just dived through a door into the building, it was the onto the production line with dozens of pig carcasses moving down the line as the workers gutted them, they got a shock seeing me, then fell about laughing as the penny dropped as the pig ran past.
    Wasn’t pleasant, but I still eat (and love) meat!

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

OP should probably also learn what a carnivore is. I bet there aren’t any on this forum.

Premier Icon timbog160
    Subscriber

You delivered ham to an abattoir..!? Talk about coals to Newcastle..!!!

Premier Icon Sandwich
    Subscriber

Vegan and animal activists concentrate on the extreme end.

Not so, the last pigs we sent to a local abattoir for slaughter were delayed by activists. Their FB video stated that the pigs had been over 24 hours without food or water. Strange that as it’s 30 minutes from the farm to abattoir and they were fed the previous evening and have a mains fed drinker in the sty.

kayla1

Why would an abattoir bother slaughtering pigs in a Kosher / Halal style?

This.

munrobiker

Some of my family members own a small one – I have no problem with it. It’s efficient and deaths are immediate and undramatic using the bolt.

My uncle who runs it has said there’s been problems since they started doing halal – that’s traumatic for the staff and the animals compared to the usual method. Unfortunately the market for meat in the M62 corridor that isn’t nice butchers (who they sell to) and supermarkets (who they are too small to sell to) is for halal stuff.

Premier Icon edhornby
    Subscriber

I’ve been to one, I’ve also been to a food trade show that had a section of it with the machinery for mechanically reclaiming meat from a carcass and that bothered me more than the abbatoir

Premier Icon Richie_B
    Subscriber

Yes

I’ve been round abattoirs a couple of times. With one exception everyone who I know who has worked at them are exactly the sort of people you would want working there (good with animals, well balanced humane). The exception to this wasn’t aloud near the live animals till they had sized him up but he didn’t last a month so it never came to that.

A friend works in one of the local ones, as well as sending his own animals there. Given the care he takes in looking after the animals he raises and his inside knowledge, I can’t imagine him sending them somewhere he knows don’t treat the animals well.

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

Yes but I’m not a carnivore.

OP have you been? Seems you haven’t shared your thoughts or opinions.

The article is interesting a bit dramatic but interesting and I have no doubt some will find it tough slaughtering animals daily but not convinced that article is a reflection of all abattoirs.

JAG

I’ve never been to one but I accept they are necessary and most do a good job. I have worked on a farm so I understand animals and the process we have to use to get our food.

However I believe that Kosher/Halal slaughter should be illegal – animals should not be allowed to suffer to please some religious types.

Premier Icon kayak23
    Subscriber

Unsurprising and perhaps comforting that many people are uncomfortable with industrial-scale animal slaughter. I’d be more worried if they were fine with it to be honest.

I couldn’t care less about how lovely and clean and efficient it is. The way we take dominion over and use animals on such a scale is just appalling. I’m far from perfect but I’m glad as hell I’m not directly responsible for this industry. 😔

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

However I believe that Kosher/Halal slaughter should be illegal – animals should not be allowed to suffer to please some religious types.

They don’t if it helps you feel better.

Premier Icon P-Jay
    Subscriber

Yes a huge one about 25 years ago.

I was surprised at the efficiency of the place. I’d watched something about how Native Americans were super respectful of Animals they killed and used as much of it as possible, but I reckon this huge place would have them beat. I can’t remember if it belonged to ASDA or ASDA was a big customer of their but it works on a filter basis. They first removed all the whole cuts, steaks, then onto smaller bits for processed foods, then somewhere else for other bits and finally all the guts went off to the place they raised fishing bait.

Yes. I was the meat eating temp and the veg full timers did not want to go do the inspection, which was fair enough. Only issue being the paperwork – they were not best pleased to see it all covered in blood when I got back. Not a pleasant place to go, and I still eat meat.

Premier Icon matt_outandabout
    Subscriber

Yes.

One of my first jobs at 15 was turkey killing (by hand), gutting and plucking.

Premier Icon ajaj
    Subscriber

Some information on Kosher slaughter from the vets.

Premier Icon wool
    Subscriber

Yes, World’s biggest apparently it was very efficient and I am still eating meat. I am an omnivore so do mix it up a bit. Carnivore only diet would be a bit dull.

kittyr

Yup, been round a couple as part of work.

I’ve only ever been to pretty major ones which were extremely industrial. Animals have to die if you want to eat meat. I have no issue with this.

Hopefully the majority of the industry meets decent welfare standards.

dashed

I’ll be honest, I read that article this morning and struggled to see what the point of it was. It was a very click-bait headline and then nothing really shocking in the article itself. OK, so cows shit on the floor and then their heads are chucked in a skip afterwards. I’m not sure what is supposed to be shocking about that. I don’t mean that in a blase way, but what do folk expect? It was hardly an expose on terrible standards and behaviors in abattoirs; just some normal practices of mass meat production that an individual found unpleasant. So they, quite rightly, got out of the industry.

JAG

Drac please read the document that ajaj linked to.

I’ll say it again…

I believe that Kosher/Halal slaughter should be illegal – animals should not be allowed to suffer to please some religious types.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.