• This topic has 29 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by yunki.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Any non gymnasts who can do a planche?
  • twinw4ll
    Free Member

This is one hell of a difficult move to nail, got the front lever done and dusted but the planche is gonna be a long haul. Can anyone on here do one and how long did it take to get there?
    I’ve got a feeling this is going to be another one of my tumble weed posts. 😳

bearnecessities

Gymnasts, here? Nah.

*butters fifth crisp sandwich*

EDIT: Just realised you said non-gymnasts.

*butters sixth crisp sandwich*

RobHilton
    Free Member

I was on my way about a year ago – could hold a tuck planche for a few seconds. Now Ive reverted to being Mr Blobby again :/

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

What’s a planche?

Just googled it, so it’s a no, but I can still do a Mayurasana.

allthepies
    Free Member

…if only there way a way of finding out….

loddrik
    Free Member

I bet I could do it easy. Just can’t be arsed…

smatkins1
    Free Member

I think as cyclists we are at a disadvantage for doing this, with our heavy muscular legs. That’s my excuse at least.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

I ate 5 donuts today. And a Cumberland sausage sandwich and some soup. Chinese for tea. I’m gonna say no.

akira

Only had one creme egg today so im gonna say yes.

jemima
    Free Member

I almost did a tuck one once but then pile-drived my face into the cushion I’d sensibly put on the floor in front of me…

fd3chris
    Free Member

I can only do them one handed.

yunki
    Free Member

My little brother used to be able to bang out planche press ups, before he found cider and darts and got faaaat..
    He’s never been a gymnast

grum
    Free Member

I can do a press-up. It’s basically the same.

zachh85
    Free Member

I’m actually working on this move pretty seriously right now and logging all of my workouts on youtube. I use resistance bands. I’ve posted a link below to show you how I go about working on it. I’m going to keep logging my workouts on my channel if you want to follow or give any feedback from your journey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-pbVpdp1Eo

P-Jay
    Free Member

Isn’t that a bit like asking if any non-riders can do a manual?

It’s a pretty difficult thing to do even for a Gymnast. My Wife was a Gymnast, couldn’t do one, my Sister in Law competed at a very high level, and couches at an elite level and can’t.

mcj78
    Free Member

P-Jay
    Sister in Law competed at a very high level, and couches at an elite level and can’t.

I’m a professional coucher – some weekends I barely get off the thing, I can’t planche either so tell her not to worry about it, I don’t think all the couching lends itself well to acrobatic side pursuits 8)

nickc

why would I want to?

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Bloody hell, thread dragged up from the depths, i’m still trying to nail the planche, can now do a straddle planche so getting pretty close.

Nice work Zach, i started with resistance bands, but didn’t find i progressed enough, i do mine on parallettes. How are you on the front lever? i found dragon flags to be the best exercise for getting the required core strength.

theotherjonv

slightly odd topic for a poster’s first post. I don’t necessarily think he found this thread through searching cycling topics

twinw4ll
    Free Member

and……

footflaps

good guide here: https://gmb.io/planche/

I follow these guys on FB and know one of their coaches (she runs classes in Cambridge).

ianfitz
    Free Member

It turns out that I can’t. Not a surprise!

Used to be able to hold a one arm front lever back in my climbing days but that’s about 15 years ago now.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

I had to google that and found this

The planche is an advanced skill that requires months or years of preparation

so I guess you’d have to be a gymnast to practice for months or years!

zachh85
    Free Member

Sorry for dragging this back up, I just ran across it and it caught my attention. Front lever is somewhat easier for me, but not much. I can do a pretty decent advanced tuck, which is more than I can say for the planche. I still like the bands so far, but we’ll see how it goes.

dumbbot
    Free Member

No, planche kills my wrists so far but i want to learn and I’ve been using this calisthenics app to help. I can do Muscle ups, lever, pistol squats etc the app gives you progression excercies and demo videos, and its free.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.abad.thenics&hl=en

zachh85
    Free Member

It hurts my wrists too, but I’ve been practicing hands back, which takes some getting used to, and on fingertips, rather than hands forward.

nedrapier

How are your manuals,zach?

I’m only 90% sure I know what a planche is, so I’m also going for no.

OK at couching, shabby at manuals.

zachh85
    Free Member

Shabby at manuals is better than how I’d describe myself.

Flaperon

Just found the instructions on YouTube. Can’t do the horizontal one but got the balancing on forearms bit nailed. Hurts though…

yunki
    Free Member

As I said earlier in the thread, my lil bro was never a gymnast but he could bang out a few planche press ups as his party trick

He did tons of tucks and loads of handstand press ups and went from there really..

He probably spent a good four or five hours per week specifically working towards the planche and he was only 15 or 16 at the time and was a good sports all-rounder..
    He could still do them until his early 20s but then darts training for the local pub team started to take up too much of his time

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Any non gymnasts who can do a planche?’ is closed to new replies.