Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Any non boost 140mm 27.5 fork deals about?
  • phil5556

Last year I built a hard tail from a Brand X frame, I really like it but at the time I just put a cheap fork on it and it really lets it down.

Anyone know of any really good deals, non boost. Something like a revelation?

Otherwise I’ll gamble with something second hand.

Cheers

simon_g

CRC still have cheap Manitou Mattoc forks, I’m very pleased with mine.

phil5556

Cheers, I’ll have a proper look but a quick check doesn’t look like they’ve got much left 140mm?

Del

I have a set of 140 34s? They’ve done about 6 rides. Bought with a view to going on the next frame but plans changed. I’d have to check what they owe me. pm me if of interest.

simon_g

The 160mm Mattocs adjust down to 140mm easily. Just need the tools (or to make them if you have the means) – I have a set I can lend out.

Trailseeker
    Free Member

I’ve got THESE for sale & they come with a brand new 140mm airshaft.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I have a s/hand Pike that is solid and clean.

phil5556

The 160mm Mattocs adjust down to 140mm easily. Just need the tools (or to make them if you have the means) – I have a set I can lend out.

Thanks for the offer.

So these ones would go to 140?

What are they like?

I know they’re boost but I can get around that.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/manitou-mattoc-comp-boost-forks-15mm-axle/rp-prod174909

EDIT: And just seen the 120mm go up to 140. And CRC list the 120 Pros for the same price as the Comps.

phil5556

@Trailseeker

I’ve got THESE for sale & they come with a brand new 140mm airshaft.

Cool, will bare them in mind cheers. How easy are they to swap the airshaft over? I’ve never opened a fork up before.

@reggiegasket

I have a s/hand Pike that is solid and clean.

Cheers, any more info?

Trailseeker
    Free Member

How easy are they to swap the airshaft over? I’ve never opened a fork up before.

Tutorial HERE straight foward as part of a service.

phil5556

Update:

Just ordered the Manitou Mattoc Comps, they were originally listed as Pros but after a couple of messages to Wiggle & CRC turns out they were listed wrong. They’re boost so I’ll use an spacers (and get a spare set for the day I take the wheel out on the trail).

Local suspension servicing guy will change the travel for me (so @simon_g thanks for the offer but sorted).

Won’t be fitting them for a while as I’ll be lending the bike out, and they’re not getting shiny new forks before I’ve had a chance to try them out! 😀

phil5556

Local suspension servicing guy will change the travel for me (so @simon_g thanks for the offer but sorted).

Not sorted. Not sure if there was an issue with them or the guy that changed the travel put them back together wrong but they don’t return to full travel and make some funny noises. Only took me about 3 months to finally get them on the bike only to be disappointed.

Hopefully he’ll get them sorted.

jamesoz

Sounds odd? It really is easy to change the travel, just need to remove or add a clip on spacer.
    It can be difficult to get the lowers back on without trapping air if like me he didn’t use the special socket and it is important to add air with the forks inverted.

phil5556

It can be difficult to get the lowers back on without trapping air if like me he didn’t use the special socket and it is important to add air with the forks inverted.

Can i empty them and re-inflate inverted to try and fix it? Turn bike upside down, deflate, re-inflate or is it too late now they’re back together?

jamesoz

Yeah just deflate and inflate with the bike upside down.

phil5556

Cheers.
    With the air out should it fully compress under its own weight (plus wheel still in)?

It’s about 40mm away from compressing. Actually have to lean on it reasonably hard to fully compress it

phil5556

It feels like it’s still got air in.

rossburton
    Free Member

Sounds like there’s air in Hydraulic Bottom Out if you have that, there’s a second valve which controls the feel at the end of the travel. Empty that too?

phil5556

I don’t have that, this is only the comp, I guess that’s on the pro?

I’ve just poked a cable tie down the seals and loads of air came out. It’s now sitting fully compressed. About to reinflate 🤞

jamesoz

Good news!
    From memory, in the service instructions you’re supposed to add a little air to aid doing the bolts up at the bottom of the legs, fine if you use the thinwall socket but impossible if you use an Alan key in the airvalve to do it up until, enough of the head is proud to put a socket on it.

phil5556

Ha jamesoz too late!

I might have to grind down a socket then….

This isn’t quite what I was planning tonight.

Can’t see anything obviously up with it though

jamesoz

I’ve never used a ground down socket but sometimes it’s a right pain as the shaft keeps pushing into the fork before the thread takes, hence trapped air.
    I’ve got Mattocs on two of my bikes and I prefer them to the Pikes on my Hard tail.

phil5556

It’s all back together and still the same. It’s as if the pressure isn’t equalising properly. As you inflate it you have to pull it out to get it to extend, something I’m not used to from my rockshox but apparently is correct? It then sits at full length. But even bouncing on it in the garage drops it down to about half travel, where it then stays with very little support e.g. I can easily push it down to bottom out.

What’s going on?

I think I’m going to email CRC and see if they’ll send me another set, although I’m a bit worried they’ll just say tough as it’s been apart.

jamesoz

It does sound like the airshaft isn’t fully extended when bolted up. But send them back I can’t see it being an issue they’ve been apart if something’s not obviously damaged or rounded.
    Edit to add

Unless I’ve had too many beers tonight the fork should be fully extended on fitting the lowers.

phil5556

Unless I’ve had too many beers tonight the fork should be fully extended on fitting the lowers.

Which is where the 8mm socket vs allen key comes in, so I couldn’t do it. BUT I’ve made sure there’s no vacuum in the lowers by using a cable tie down the side of the oil seal. So bike upside down, no pressure in the air spring and cable ties down the seals, I can push and pull through the whole travel. Pump up while extending fork to 60psi, turn bike over and it sits at nearly full extension. All good so far.

Ride it around the garden for 2 minutes and it’s sitting down at about 90mm and if I lean forward it compresses to nearly bottoming out.

It’s going back.

Del

looks in, backs out.
    good luck.

phil5556

The Sektors are back on 🙁

I’ve spent far too much time in the garage playing with bikes this week rather than riding them 🙁

ninjabadger
    Free Member

I’ve got pros, excellent forks.

When you put the air in make sure they’re fully extended first, I’ve had them pack down once like you describe and this has sorted it.

phil5556

Cheers but I’ve done all that unfortunately. I’ve even just taken them apart again this evening to adjust the pin in the middle of the inflate valve as I’d read people having issues with that, but didn’t help.

And made sure I kept them extended while doing up the lowers.

I hope I’ll get a replacement or get it repaired. I quite fancy a different frame and being able to change the travel so easily is a big plus.

It lost pressure over night so I think it’s something to do with the valve.

jamesoz

If you keep the forks after warranty it’s worth knocking up a ground down 8mm socket. It just makes the whole experience so much nicer.
    Took me 1/2 hour with a pillar drill and a file.
    Without the socket I was leaving the bolts quite loose to allow me to extend the legs and equalise the pressure before nipping up.

phil5556

Cheers probably will do if I get them back, which I hope to.

CRC don’t have any stock so if they can’t repair them then I guess they’ll refund me. Although they did say they might need to send them to Manitou who should definitely be able to fix them.

jamesoz

How did you get on with CRC?
    I’ve just sent back one of my Mattocs due to a creaky CSU.
    They’re a bit over a year old so CRC said they’d have to speak to the supplier before I sent them back. They got back to me pretty quickly, I didn’t have to point out the 2 year warranty statement on the Hayes/Manitou site and I’ve sent them off.

phil5556

Well they received it last Monday and haven’t been in touch, I’ve just chased them by email. So don’t know yet 🙁

Good luck with yours

johnw1984
    Free Member

I chased a set of SIDs after a week on Thursday to be fobbed off because it hadn’t been 14 days!

Wish I could say that to our customers at work, would make my life easier 🙂

phil5556

Still waiting 🙄

jamesoz

Really? Mines been replaced with a brand new fork…
    Nah only joking. Still waiting also, I’m not really bothered as I’ve been on the road bike with the crappy weather.
    Slow service though I’ll re-think my future purchases.

phil5556

@jamesoz ha, I’m not sure you’ll get a new fork if mine are anything to go by. Apparently they don’t have a replacement fork to give me but have just offered me a credit note. I’ve said no and requested a full refund.

Let’s see what they say…

jamesoz

Seems odd, surely if they went back to the supplier they’d be able to repair them? Being as every part is available as far as I know. Otherwise why bother to send them.

phil5556

I’m guessing they haven’t done what they say they’ve done and my fork is actually sitting in the back of a warehouse somewhere having not made it to Hayes.

jamesoz

That was my thought or perhaps Hayes won’t warranty CRC forks.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Any non boost 140mm 27.5 fork deals about?’ is closed to new replies.