Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Any nice mtb trails in East Devon?
  • theendisnigh
    Free Member

I’m going to stay in Branscombe between Sidmouth and Seaton for a week. Wondering whether or not to take the mtn bike. Any rides in them there coppices?

yunki
    Free Member

You’re not too far from Woodbury Common there which has a lot to offer, but also as I understand it there are a couple of very good loops that you can string together around Sidmouth/Ottery St Mary, with a fairly extensive bridleway network through some challenging Devonshire hills to the North East of Sidmouth..

I certainly wouldn’t advocate riding the South West coast path in that area, especially as it has now been designated a UNESCO world heritage site.. But there are some stunning singletrack walking trails on that path.. The possibility of conflict with walkers is moderate near to built up areas, but less so as you venture further out, especially if you abide by the code of ‘don’t be a dick’

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I certainly wouldn’t advocate riding the South West coast path in that area,

But it is quite good fun though 😉

loum
    Free Member

Don’t know if this is any use to you?

http://map.1sw.org.uk/

I’ve got a week’s holiday in Devon too and have been having a look for trail maps too. That’s the best I’ve found so far, I think.
    Staying near Ivybridge at the bottom of Dartmoor myself, and some of the piccies from threads on the forum make it look like a great place to ride.
    Still not sure if the bike will fit in the car yet though 🙁

theendisnigh
    Free Member

CHEERS. What I might do when I get home, is search for Strava segments in those areas.
    Then see if I can get KOM along the South West Coast Path 😉

theendisnigh
    Free Member

Sorry youm, didn’t see your post. I’ll check it out, looks useful, cheers.

ajantom

Yes, lots of nice stuff.
    East hill, Hartford woods, Woodbury – some nice loops round that area.
    Haldon is a shortish drive (15 miles away)
    I ride a lot round East Devon – I’m based in Ottery – drop me line and I might be able to show you around if I’m free.
    Email is in my profile.

theendisnigh
    Free Member

Thanks for the kind offer Tom, however I am on holiday with the wife and our 3 young baby/children, so I’ll only be popping out for hour long blasts when a window of opportunity arises! I’ll check out those areas though, thank you 🙂

nacho
    Free Member

theendisnigh – woodbury has some good riding, if you do get the chance to go out for more than an hour post on here, someone will probably show you round, I ride up there at least 2x a week.
    At Haldon you can take the family for a day out, the blue and red are a bit of a let down compared to other trail centre graded runs but they are still a ride and there are some great cheeky trails if you explore.
    East Hill I don’t know so well but have ridden there a few times and it’s OK so long as it’s not too wet.

uphilla
    Free Member

There was a pack of trail leaflets available for the Sidmouth area a while back, may be worth asking in tourist Info. I often stay there (family)and have found some reasonable loops from the town. Worth getting a map and exploring inland as there are plenty of bridleways – though can be muddy. Local knowledge would help with Woodbury.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Any nice mtb trails in East Devon?’ is closed to new replies.