Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Any mountain biking near Leek, staffs?
  • jekkyl

Apart from the offroad path up the side of rudyard and the canal, is there any off roading cycling to be had near Leek, anyone?
    What about any along the road twixt leek and buxton, hollinsclough/flash etc? what about Consall wooods?
    Cheers in advance.

MartynS

You could pick up the Macc forest route from flash. However I’ve no idea what the snow and ice is like out there at the mo!!

carlos
    Free Member

Not far to get to The Roaches for a bit of cheeky, Flash 3 shires and Macc Forest aren’t much further. There is a bit of cheeky round the Cloud @ Bosley.

I guess it depends on road miles you want to put in or avoid

jekkyl

Was hoping for stuff in immediate area or within max 20-30 minutes drive. I’ve done macc forest too much and looking for other stuff. Don’t mind a bit of cheeky as would be mostly riding at night. I’ll check out the bosley cloud stuff as could link in mow cop perhaps then. Thanks

shortyj15

2-30 minutes drive you would be up near buxton anyway!

carlos
    Free Member

20-30 mins??

Roaches to Gradbach, Cumberland Clough and then re trace your steps
    Park @ Derbyshire Bridge and have a go at the Goytt route over to Taxal or just round the Goytt itself
    Bakewell & Chatsworth
    King Sterndale (Wye Valley)Blackwell, Worm Hill
    Grin Low and Blue Lagoon (well its Black now)

stilltortoise
    Free Member

within max 20-30 minutes drive

Loads. From the edge of Leek to the edge of Buxton it only takes 15 minutes driving on a slow day for example. What Leek isn’t blessed with is good, legal mountain biking from Leek itself. There’s some OK cheeky in the local woods and some fab cheeky near the Roaches, but the good legal stuff doesn’t really get going until the north end of the Roaches which is 5/10 mins drive from Leek or 30 minutes pedal. From there you have access to some tremendous stuff and can fill anything from an hour or so to a BIG day out.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

PS I’ve heard good stuff about Consall Woods but never taken my bike there. If any locals want to show me around I’d be grateful 🙂

@Jekyll happy to show you around some time.

jekkyl

Thanks ST, I will very likely take you up on that. I work in Leek and live in Stoke and looking for routes to start in the evening in the area before heading home late on so if you do night riding then I will definately appreciate you leading me out. I’l drop you a mail.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Yep I get out at night, especially in the crisp snowy/icy weather. Might be getting a bit gloopy now but more than happy to show you some quick and short cheeky ones from town as well as the better stuff north of the Roaches.

e.g.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/qhVonP]Roaches snowy ride with Paul – 4[/url] by stilltortoise, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/dZB41N]Bandit first ride – 04[/url] by stilltortoise, on Flickr

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

***JUST REMEMBER ONCE YOU ENTER LEEK YOU WILL ACQUIRE WEBBED FEET, 10 TOES PER FOOT AND YOUR SISTER WILL NOW BE YOUR AUNTIE AND MOTHER***

enter at your own peril 😉

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Any mountain biking near Leek, staffs?’ is closed to new replies.