Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • any most bargainous gear cables to suggest?
  • theflatboy
    Free Member

best quality / price options seen recently?

🙂

wwaswas

CRC have some on price drop sale.

theendisnigh
    Free Member

Flying snake seem good. Ive fitted them to 3 of my bikes and they seem to last a long time. Not had to change one yet. You get outer, inner sheath and cable. With a continous cable set up there is very little opportunity for crap to get in. I recommend them. But they aint the cheapest.

Baznav
    Free Member
    theflatboy
    Free Member

interesting on flying snake – does this include cable and outer for front and rear mech? sounds like it does, but confirmation would be good. if so, that’s not a ridiculous price…

martinhurton
    Free Member

Got some Clarke pre-lubed ones from CRC last month. They seem pretty good and were a great price (£6.99 for the full set)

theendisnigh
    Free Member

Yes it is a kit for both front and rear mech. I only have single ring set ups.

martinhurton
    Free Member

Buy one get one free then 😆

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

+1 for the Clarkes cables. You need a good set of cutters though as the outers and stiffer than most. My worn park cutters will still cut Shimano but I have to use my new cutters on the Clarkes stuff.

theflatboy
    Free Member

hmmm, interesting – jagwire full set for c.£15 or XTR full set off CRC for £18…

got chiny new cable cutters ready to go so all set there!

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

+1 for Jagwie.Like my bling silver cables.

theflatboy
    Free Member

sounds like jagwire is the winner… but blue or pink… decisions decisions!

flyingmonkeycorps

Anyone recommend a full length cable set? Preferably from CRC, ‘cos I have a voucher…

stevied
    Free Member

Got a set of Gore ride-on’s off eBay for £14 a while back (brand new) 🙂

reggiegasket
    Free Member

buy a load of Shimano outer, by the metre

buy a load of Shimano inners

buy some ferrules and crimps

buy a decent cable cutter and bench grinder, and fit everything yourself

much cheaper than kits in the long run.

flyingmonkeycorps

Yeah, I was thinking about just doing that, but I quite like the convenience of kits! I probably have enough ferrules and bits kicking around to do most of it anyway.

theflatboy
    Free Member

it’s a fair point. on that basis, does anyone have any suggestions as to best place to get small bulk quantities of things like XTR cable outer, shimano stainless cables, ferrules and end caps? 🙂

LordFelchamtheIII
    Free Member

Bench grinder? WTF for?

theflatboy
    Free Member

Yep that crossed my mind too, I forgot to ask for more explanation on the need for that particular tool!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

mtb-direct.co.uk for outer by the meter, they do shimano SP41 in different colours other than XTR grey, and cheep inners replaced regulalry seem the most foolproof solution asside from expensive sealed options.

KCNC inner looks cool, not sure how much better than normal XTR it is though. Seem’s more draggy but longer lasting as the coating rubs off and presumably then lines the outer without the need for large ammounts of lube. I’d not run it in full length outers though as with the coating it’s a bit thicker than normal hence the drag.

timb34
    Free Member

Rose are doing Shimano MTB gear cable sets for 15€. Black outers, but they have lengths of other colours for about 5€ too.

zangolin
    Free Member

Bench grinder gets that perfectly flat end to the cut outer.

DanW
    Free Member

Can’t beat Shimano SP41/ XTR!

theflatboy
    Free Member

good info, tinas. will check it out later.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

mtb-direct.co.uk for outer by the meter, they do shimano SP41 in different colours other than XTR grey,

It’s slightly cheaper for 10m here, and they do colours too
    http://www.parker-international.co.uk/5084/Shimano-SP41-Outer-Casing-4-mm-x-10-m.html

grum
    Free Member

SP41 from Parker, inners from Wilkos.

theflatboy
    Free Member

good info people, cheers.

PP, we need to do another London ride soon – set it up, could you? thanks. 🙂

grum
    Free Member

tinsy
    Free Member

These are the buisness, look good, work good, cheap. (I use an oiler in full length lines, but thats a bit overkill)

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/43185/Fibrax_Powershift_Sport_Inner_Gear_Cable_w_Braided_Housing

theflatboy
    Free Member

they look good too. are the outers easily trimmable to length?

theflatboy
    Free Member

I went for Parker International in the end. Seemed good price and choice etc. Went for the “non-priority” free postage option. Ordered 12 days ago and still not here!

Took them 6 days to actually despatch (apparently “Premium” service, i.e. paid postage gets prioritised…). 6 more days later and still no sign. Presumably “Free” = sub-second class. 😡

Annoying… Won’t be using them again, then.

theflatboy
    Free Member

They turned up yesterday. Rapid. 😀

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘any most bargainous gear cables to suggest?’ is closed to new replies.